All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

JDK20_M135i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Knocking issues

Post by JDK20_M135i » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Good evening chaps,

I am having a few issues with my steering rack as some may know, well I think it is my steering rack. Slight knocking, and knocking when shaking even when moving. Does anyone know if this sounds like a steering rack? Also, can anyone recommend whether it is an issue that will need replacing or is it just a characteristic of the steering rack...I am due to go to Europe on a road trip and don't want to get stuck when breaking down..

Thanks,

Josh. :roll:
BMW M135i - Glacier Silver, Auto, Red Leather, Pro Nav, HK, Sunroof, Front & Rear PDC, Heated & Electric Memory Seats, LSD, Motech Performance Eibach Springs & Carbon Spoiler.

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Knocking issues

Post by Mad_Mac » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:54 pm

That's how mine sounded. Today BMW replaced it under warranty.
https://youtu.be/mUdwNJ26ADs
F20 2015 M135i LCI manual, black, coral interior, comfort pack, black grill and MPE

danr

Post by danr » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 pm

Mad_Mac wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:54 pm
did it resolve the issue though? I have the same noise but it drives perfectly and BMW said that the noise is normal and very common and that replacing it doesn't really solve it. Pretty much al lhave the same noise, some worse, some less.

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mad_Mac » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 pm

danr wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 pm
Mad_Mac wrote:
did it resolve the issue though? I have the same noise but it drives perfectly and BMW said that the noise is normal and very common and that replacing it doesn't really solve it. Pretty much al lhave the same noise, some worse, some less.
It did solve it. Funny, 2 months ago I went to the same dealer and they told me it’s normal. This time I told them I will not accept “this I normal” as an answer. I had a chance to compare it with other cars on Bmw meet so I know that mine was abnormal. They checked it and confirmed it need to be replaced.
F20 2015 M135i LCI manual, black, coral interior, comfort pack, black grill and MPE

danr

Post by danr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Mad_Mac wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 pm
danr wrote:
Mad_Mac wrote:
It did solve it. Funny, 2 months ago I went to the same dealer and they told me it’s normal. This time I told them I will not accept “this I normal” as an answer. I had a chance to compare it with other cars on Bmw meet so I know that mine was abnormal. They checked it and confirmed it need to be replaced.
Cheers, any tips on trying to force them to replace whatever is broken? I don't want to be fobbed off but it's hard when a BMW tech tells you it's normal.

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mad_Mac » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:41 pm

danr wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:43 pm
Mad_Mac wrote:
danr wrote:

Cheers, any tips on trying to force them to replace whatever is broken? I don't want to be fobbed off but it's hard when a BMW tech tells you it's normal.
Ask them to open any of the new cars and prove you that they all have it.

danr

Post by danr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Mad_Mac wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:41 pm
danr wrote:
Mad_Mac wrote:

Thanks mate.

caign

Post by caign » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:05 am

Mad_Mac wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:41 pm
danr wrote:
Mad_Mac wrote:

Ha ha, love it. Good advice.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”