M235i vs M240i

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Jimboy2

M235i vs M240i

Post by Jimboy2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi
Looking to buy my 1st ever BMW! Will be either of these 2 cars. Swaying towards a 235 as most of the depreciation will be done. But is there a huge difference between the 2 models? I know the engine has been changed but apart from that is there any reason to dismiss the 235?
Will be buying on PCP so a 235 will have lower payments and a lower (hopefully zero) deposit.
Any help in finding the right car will be much appreciated. I think I know the spec I want but finding it may be difficult.
Are any model years better than others? Or was the 235 the same throughout?
Ideally
White with red leather
Must be auto
Pro nav
HK sound
Adaptive suspension would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance, didn’t think I would ever look at BMWs but this 2 series is just so good looking!

W00dy

Re: M235i vs M240i

Post by W00dy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi,

Just gone through the same process and now the owner of a 2016 4k miles M235i. No significant changes at all. Engine is a different model but very similar. The iDrive may be different and the clocks on a post 67plate (i think) will be slightly different. If you can find one with folding mirrors too, very expensive to mod later and is a very simple way to know your car is locked.

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Interior and exterior will be the virtually the same for any non-lci m240i (i.e. before 67 plate), with the notable exception of the idrive, which changed to ID5 with the m240i and to ID6 with m240i lci (67 plate onwards). IMO, there is a bigger difference between the ID4 and the ID5 than between the ID5 and the ID6, but either way isn't going to keep you awake at night. I think there were some minor trim changes, such as piano black for the console, but all minor compared to the significant interior changes with the lci.

The singular difference is in the engines, which are significantly different engineering-wise, and noticeably different in their character. The N55 in the M235i delivers peak torque slightly later than the B58 in the m240i, whist the B58 also delivers peak power earlier than the n55. If you like low down grunt the b58 is better, but if you prefer driving in the higher rev range than n55 might be your thing.

http://youwheel.com/home/2016/03/27/det ... er-engine/
Last edited by moulin12 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F22 M240i 8AT

danr
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by danr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:17 pm

N55 engine sounds better than the b58 but the b58 is more powerful and has better economy. Depends what you want. the m235i will be cheaper. Both will be very very similar inside and out so it's down to your budget really.

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:30 pm

Agree with the above, if on a budget, not enough to worry about.
F22 M240i 8AT

Jimboy2

Post by Jimboy2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Yeah I’m on a budget. I would love to buy new but don’t think I will be able to. Struck lucky with my Mustang as I put a 10k deposit on it and got it all back 18 months later. That’s never gonna happen again so think buying used is the only way for me right now.
Went to snows in Portsmouth today to look at their stock. Was greeted by a young extremely hungover bloke who didn’t want to be out in the cold... will be having words with his manager tomorrow as he lost a sale today potentially. Seeing as it’s end of quarter I was amazed he was happy to let me walk away without even trying to sell me a car!

jimBabyBMW
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jimBabyBMW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Jimboy2 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:35 pm
Yeah I’m on a budget. I would love to buy new but don’t think I will be able to. Struck lucky with my Mustang as I put a 10k deposit on it and got it all back 18 months later. That’s never gonna happen again so think buying used is the only way for me right now.
Went to snows in Portsmouth today to look at their stock. Was greeted by a young extremely hungover bloke who didn’t want to be out in the cold... will be having words with his manager tomorrow as he lost a sale today potentially. Seeing as it’s end of quarter I was amazed he was happy to let me walk away without even trying to sell me a car!
Don't be such a dick.

You might have had a bad day at work before.

He might be a good husband and loving father with a family depending on him and a sh*t boss who didn't let him have the day off for his brothers stag do. Just give him a break.

AndytheGreek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndytheGreek » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 pm

jimBabyBMW wrote:
Jimboy2 wrote:
Don't be such a dick.

He might be a good husband and loving father with a family depending on him and a sh*t boss who didn't let him have the day off for his brothers stag do. Just give him a break.
That’s a bit harsh, especially as you weren’t there.
2017 M2

nickb
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nickb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:16 pm

AndytheGreek wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 pm
jimBabyBMW wrote:
Jimboy2 wrote:
Don't be such a dick.

Agreed the poster quoted seemed a bit harsh but I understand the sentiment, the problem these days is that far too many people are working too hard and under too much pressure. Young lad has a hangover not a big deal, potentially big spender doesn’t react well to it means he will then moan on the internet and hopefully decide not to proceed to make said young man unemployed.
M240i - Auto - Melbourne Red :spotman:
M135i - Auto - AW & Black Leather GONE
M135i - Manual -AW & Red Coral leather GONE

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Kerr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:27 pm

nickb wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:16 pm
AndytheGreek wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 pm
jimBabyBMW wrote:
Don't be such a dick.

Agreed the poster quoted seemed a bit harsh but I understand the sentiment, the problem these days is that far too many people are working too hard and under too much pressure. Young lad has a hangover not a big deal, potentially big spender doesn’t react well to it means he will then moan on the internet and hopefully decide not to proceed to make said young man unemployed.
A young lad working in the car industry whilst under the influence of drink is a pretty big deal.

I would imagine that he would have driven to work and in the care of cars all day.

Bad service is one thing, but a bad attitude down to being half cut is unacceptable.

Jimboy2

Post by Jimboy2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Exactly. Me venting on here made me realise there’s no point in saying anything. Gets it off my chest and I will move on.

But I’m sorry, I don’t care how sh*t your day, week month has been, you have a job to do.
Telling a customer that you have a hangover and was late to work because of it really isn’t a good way to start relationship. I’m sure he won’t care but he won’t be selling me a car now.

Anyway back to talking about the cars please lol

nickb
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nickb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Apologies I hadn’t realised he admitted to being late due to a hangover. We are all human and I hope he learns to treat people in the way they expect.

We should all be treating each other with respect

nickb
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nickb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Back to cars I have to say the 240 is really great! I wish I could afford an M2!

jimBabyBMW
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jimBabyBMW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 pm

If no body ever went to work with a hangover, then the entire oil industry will grind to a halt, our armed forces will cease to function and our construction industry will just stop.

That's the only industries I've worked, but I surely doubt none are much difference. I rarely, if ever drink btw due to the gym mostly, but the states I've seen some guys in doesn't surprise me any more.

I'm glad you've chosen not to report him. If you got to know him on another day you might see him differently.

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 pm

jimBabyBMW wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 pm
If no body ever went to work with a hangover, then the entire oil industry will grind to a halt, our armed forces will cease to function and our construction industry will just stop.

That's the only industries I've worked, but I surely doubt none are much difference. I rarely, if ever drink btw due to the gym mostly, but the states I've seen some guys in doesn't surprise me any more.

I'm glad you've chosen not to report him. If you got to know him on another day you might see him differently.
Your experience in the oil industry is clearly different to mine.

There is regular drink and drug tests at my work.

Personally I'd never embarrass myself or risk my licence by driving or working whilst half cut.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”