Steering Knock

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

dave1343

Steering Knock

Post by dave1343 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:48 pm

I've read the various other threads regarding steering knock - which mine seems to have.

2017 m140i with adaptive.

I noticed some vibration through the steering wheel at 65 - 80mph. When I say a vibration it's more of a very slight rumble in the wheel.

I also noticed the car is tram-lining more than it use to and I sometimes get a strange sensation through the wheel that the wheels are doing things that I'm not directing them to with the steering wheel. It's hard to describe but it's almost like I can feel the tyre moving through the wheel.

I'm assuming these are all related I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience when they developed a knocking.

Video of the noise:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AQ0bZUH81xDe6krt1

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Steering Knock

Post by Mad_Mac » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:02 am

My first thought on symptoms would be to check wheel balance and alignment. In regards to the knocking I would visit Bmw and compare it with other cars.
F20 2015 M135i LCI manual, black, coral interior, comfort pack, black grill and MPE

dave1343

Post by dave1343 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Pretty certain it's not a wheel balance issue. Reading all the other threads about the knocking steering I guess I'll just take it in to BMW.

GeoffCollins
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeoffCollins » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:39 pm

dave1343 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:48 pm
I've read the various other threads regarding steering knock - which mine seems to have.

2017 m140i with adaptive.

I noticed some vibration through the steering wheel at 65 - 80mph. When I say a vibration it's more of a very slight rumble in the wheel.

I also noticed the car is tram-lining more than it use to and I sometimes get a strange sensation through the wheel that the wheels are doing things that I'm not directing them to with the steering wheel. It's hard to describe but it's almost like I can feel the tyre moving through the wheel.

I'm assuming these are all related I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience when they developed a knocking.

Video of the noise:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AQ0bZUH81xDe6krt1
Have you checked your tyre pressures regarding the tram lining, found mine was doing it more than normal, I checked the tyre pressures and they were a touch low so filled them up and back to normal, I assume this could also affect the vibration at a certain speed, but it would be worth checking.

Also I found the car stopped tram lining so much when I changed my tyre to something with a firmer side wall, stops the tyre from flexing under stress, but it's not a very good solution! What tyres are you running?
M135i (2014 Manual) - Obnoxiously Loud Custom Exhaust, JB4, BMS Intake, M4 LCA, Eibach Pro's, Cades Bern Wheels, Maxton Splitter, Double Slat Grills

dave1343

Post by dave1343 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:32 pm

It's on the standard MPSS. I've checked pressures etc. It never tramlined this badly when it was new and the steering weight feels funny slightly off centre. Feels as if the tyres are slightly changing direction even though the wheel isn't moving - suggesting slight play somewhere. Which the knock also suggests.
A trip to BMW this weekend I guess.

GeoffCollins
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeoffCollins » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:34 pm

dave1343 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:32 pm
It's on the standard MPSS. I've checked pressures etc. It never tramlined this badly when it was new and the steering weight feels funny slightly off centre. Feels as if the tyres are slightly changing direction even though the wheel isn't moving - suggesting slight play somewhere. Which the knock also suggests.
A trip to BMW this weekend I guess.
In that case probably a good idea to take it back :lol:

I think (can't quite remember) that another member had a similar problem, and it turns out that the steering arms & various other suspension and geometry parts, from factory, weren't torqued down!
M135i (2014 Manual) - Obnoxiously Loud Custom Exhaust, JB4, BMS Intake, M4 LCA, Eibach Pro's, Cades Bern Wheels, Maxton Splitter, Double Slat Grills

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mad_Mac » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 pm

dave1343 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:32 pm
Feels as if the tyres are slightly changing direction even though the wheel isn't moving - suggesting slight play somewhere.
I would check alignment. If front are pointing 2 different directions it might cause that sensation.
F20 2015 M135i LCI manual, black, coral interior, comfort pack, black grill and MPE

ReGenesis
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ReGenesis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:47 am

Mines in right now for steering issues - weird weighting, notchiness, etc.
Just had them call me though as they won't road test it because its on the 19's - even though they fitted them at the same time as the new steering rack!
BMW won't "allow" them to run the checks unless its on the OE sizings - which it is BUT it wasn't shipped with them FFS!
Anyone got a spare rear sottozero I can borrow....
F21 135i pre-lci, AW, 3dr, CR, HK and an ever increasing toy list :D
For sale.

Faziiiii

Post by Faziiiii » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:49 am

My car is currently at the dealers for a steering rack replacement due to a knock I had at low speeds and when stationary. I don't have any vibration etc as you have described above though.

I did have a grinding noise at full lock (I only noticed this in multi story car parks etc) - Though I hear that's supposedly normal - I wasn't convinced.

Is this anything like you are getting?

Jmorgan93
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jmorgan93 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:18 pm

As a result of all these threads I wobbled my wheel today to discover the knock, but it’s only when the wheel is returning to the centre from clockwise, and only when stationary. Obvious with engine off, quieter with engine on.

I don’t get any knocks or issues when moving.

Dodgy or normal? Can’t get a clear answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark197829
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mark197829 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:20 am

Any one now the price of a replacement steering rack ?

RickN55
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by RickN55 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:00 am

Just take it back BMW. I took mine in the other week for a slight knocking/clunk from the steering wheel turned out my steering rack was shot. 3 days (thx to bmw warranty dragging their feet) and £2500 later it was fixed
Now - F21 2013 Alpine White M135i Auto (Sun protection package, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, High Gloss shadowline Finish, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)
Before - Focus ST Stage 1, Astra 1.8 SRi, Clio 1.2

RickN55
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by RickN55 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:01 am

Mark197829 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:20 am
Any one now the price of a replacement steering rack ?

£2500 it cost me two weeks ago at Sytner Leicester luckily had BMW UK Warranty so only had to pay £250 excess :D
Now - F21 2013 Alpine White M135i Auto (Sun protection package, Driver comfort package, Bum Warmers, Black Panel, HK, High Gloss shadowline Finish, M Performance grills, rear spoiler and fins)
Before - Focus ST Stage 1, Astra 1.8 SRi, Clio 1.2

Dave-H
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Dave-H » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:57 pm

Mine makes a very slight noise if I wiggle the wheel when the engine isn’t running, it doesn’t make any noise on full lock or over speed bumps etc, and makes no noise at all when the engine is running, I’m assuming it’s normal - does it sound normal?

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mad_Mac » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 pm

Dave-H wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:57 pm
Mine makes a very slight noise if I wiggle the wheel when the engine isn’t running, it doesn’t make any noise on full lock or over speed bumps etc, and makes no noise at all when the engine is running, I’m assuming it’s normal - does it sound normal?
Sounds normal I think. At the Yorkshire meet all 6 cars had slight knocking with engine off apart from mine which sounded like someone was treating it with small hammer. After fix I hear nothing.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”