Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Remus v MPE

Post by MrArthur » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:50 pm

El pollo diablo wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:31 pm
There is:
-Remus axle back (just a back box with valve),
-Remus resonated cat-back, (valved back box + new mid pipe with silencer)
-Remus non-resonated cat-back. (valved back box +new mid pipe without silencer)

If I remember correctly Remus axle-back was similarly priced to MPE, but you get to keep your valve. Never had a chance to hear this, but I wonder if this would be comparable to MPE in terms of sound, while keeping the valve so you don't have as loud start-ups?

I have an MPE, fitted by dealer for free due to flap rattle. It sounds really nice when pushing on, but "to me" it is noticeably louder than stock exhaust on startup (Not an issue for me, I actually enjoy it).

I had a chance to experience TRL's motech edition car, which had a Remus non-resonated cat back. This sounded nicer to my ears than MPE, while retaining the valve. If money and warranty worries were of no issue I would probably go for Remus non-res catback.

I wonder if anyone in this forum ever went for Remus axle-back on their M-lite?
My point is that if you have an MPE (BMW OEM) then you can do one easy exhaust mod to it (fron oval silencer), it cost around 100 Euro do have it fixed. And the sound is perfect! Not so many have done that yet, I will put up a video soon.

Accept of Remus you also have alot of other brands, like Supersprint, Akrapovic, Armytrix...

Edit: On my youtube channel "MrArthur" I have many "before and after" videos...
Alpine White BMW M140i 5-door, MPE with carbon tips and front oval muffler delete, PiperCross filter, BlueSpark, Dragy GPS, ZF 8-speed, adaptive, HK, and mutch mutch more, witout moonroof

clarkeysntfc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by clarkeysntfc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:15 pm

If the engine on my M140i went pop, recovered to dealer and it was found to have a Remus exhaust on it, I'd expect to have a serious fight on my hands to get BMW to cover the repair under warranty.

As long as you are happy with that, or have the spare funds to cover a new motor if the worst does happen, then fill your boots :-)
M140i Shadow Edition. Sport Auto. Mineral Grey. Adaptive Suspension. Adaptive LED Lights. Electric Seats. Heated Seats. Front PDC. Pro Media.
Thanks TRL :-)

barneym140i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by barneym140i » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:26 pm

this was a question I asked the other day on the silencer delete thread, could BMW actually deny the warranty on parts or repairs if they weren't related to a modification, lets be honest a cat back exhaust or silencer removal isn't going to cause any sort of issues that will cause an engine or gearbox failure, so unless they can prove the modification caused the issue can they reject your whole cars warranty?

clarkeysntfc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by clarkeysntfc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:50 pm

barneym140i wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:26 pm
this was a question I asked the other day on the silencer delete thread, could BMW actually deny the warranty on parts or repairs if they weren't related to a modification, lets be honest a cat back exhaust or silencer removal isn't going to cause any sort of issues that will cause an engine or gearbox failure, so unless they can prove the modification caused the issue can they reject your whole cars warranty?
ISTBC, but in theory if BMW sees that a car has been mechanically modified in any way, they can void the warranty there and then.
M140i Shadow Edition. Sport Auto. Mineral Grey. Adaptive Suspension. Adaptive LED Lights. Electric Seats. Heated Seats. Front PDC. Pro Media.
Thanks TRL :-)

barneym140i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by barneym140i » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:52 pm

can they though? can they deny the right to fix a faulty headlight if you change or remove a silencer?

Mad_Mac
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mad_Mac » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:03 pm

clarkeysntfc wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:50 pm
barneym140i wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:26 pm
ISTBC, but in theory if BMW sees that a car has been mechanically modified in any way, they can void the warranty there and then.
No. That is a nonsense. When I was buying a car I called one dealer and asked if I lose warranty if I add cruise control later. They confirmed that it would only affect parts which would be directly impacted by the modification.
F20 2015 M135i LCI manual, black, coral interior, comfort pack, black grill and MPE

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:21 pm

motechmike wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:35 am
MPE is just a rear box , also has no valve, Remus offer a full system thats a larger bore and will lose the 2 mid box's

Stock is 2 out of 10
MPE is 5 out 10

Remus is 10 haha !
Witnessed a motech M140i with remus exhaust and carbon tips at the bluewater meet. Loving your work. Sounded epic :)

Mbee

Post by Mbee » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Loads of great comments coming through on the pros and cons of different setups and some divided opinion on warranty implications too.

Some really good appreciation for the Remus system(s) Mike!

I've seen all the videos and sound bites I can find online for both the MPE and Remus. Until I heard the MPE barking at me on Sunday, I was sort of set on getting it fitted by my dealer when the vehicle arrives. However none of the videos I've seen seem to replicate just how loud it is, hence me now considering alternatives.

To be honest with you, I'm really not that fussed about mega amounts of pops and bangs etc. If anything I'd prefer to remain stealthy whilst pushing on so that I'm not drawing too much attention. Don't get me wrong, like the rest of you I'm joining the six cylinder club for all good reasons such as the torque and sound they produce. I'm not however looking to turn my new toy into a wannabe V8. I once owned a 4.7L Jeep which sounded sweet on tick over and gave a nice roar when opened up. Pity it was not very good to drive though..!

An exhaust with a flap would be quieter right?

Concerned about the flap rattle issue a good deal more now as I sat and read through the epic number of posts about it last night. 50+ pages of pretty unhappy mlite owners and no real fix as far as I can tell. The alleged software fix just sounds like an increase in engine revs. Why can't they just design fit a new design attenuator? or surely there must be something on all the other 40i's that can be adapted.

Then there's the warranty issue if I go native and rock up at Motech for a Remus, I may screw up my warranty on the most expensive part in the car. Nevermind that their springs and spacers are on my wish list too!

Sounds like even If I could guarantee getting a good std exhaust, I may in no time be fed up with the muted sound and want to either delete something or swap out the back box and void the warranty anyway. Lose/Lose so to speak.

There's an M140i with std looking exhaust in my works car park this evening, so I'm running out the door as soon as I see the owner approaching it. Might get to hear the cold start at least.

Much to think about, so please keep the comments coming through.....

drifterr
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by drifterr » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 pm

Here is a video of mine, MPE + VRSF 4.5" downpipe. Puts a smile on my face..
(did have some traction issues due to poor stock Pirelli runcraps..)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OKM3V ... lX1Powi3do
AW M240i - Full MP kit - MPE - 19" 405m - M Adaptive W/Motech springs - Carbon & Alacantra trim - fully loaded - VRSF catless DP
Sedona 135i N54 FBO + Inlets - (garage queen)

Mrsimpleton

Post by Mrsimpleton » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:21 pm

MrArthur wrote:
barneym140i wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:36 pm
the guy on Instagram has both silencers removed not just the oval
Yes he has. I will put up a video soon, so you can decide. And taste will allways be divided, its two sides of a coin...

I dont want so mutch pops, I want the raw power noise and bangs when shifting gears! There is pop´s, but not as mutch as with the resonator deleted.
Ref: more power sound, better up shift and not too bothered about overrun.

I was going down both these exhaust routes asking the same question a couple of weeks ago. I eventually went for bcs centre pipe delete which takes the silencer and resonator out - all easily reversable. It gave me what I wanted. The only thing I am concious about is the cold start. Is this not the overall problem? How much does it save the cat?

Dead happy with the on the power sound now. Just cold start seems to be the issue with all these options. It's like you want it to sound like the cold start on a standard pipe all the time but when you change the exhaust it's just a bit too loud.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

MrArthur
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MrArthur » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:28 am

My resonated exhaust: https://youtu.be/DkmMvxuW2zk

And here is a race: https://youtu.be/g03dMJbZPGs

What do you think? Should I go with a resonator delete?

Thanks
Alpine White BMW M140i 5-door, MPE with carbon tips and front oval muffler delete, PiperCross filter, BlueSpark, Dragy GPS, ZF 8-speed, adaptive, HK, and mutch mutch more, witout moonroof

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:02 am

drifterr wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 pm
Here is a video of mine, MPE + VRSF 4.5" downpipe. Puts a smile on my face..
(did have some traction issues due to poor stock Pirelli runcraps..)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OKM3V ... lX1Powi3do
Sounds healthy :thumbs:
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

sootyvrs

Post by sootyvrs » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 am

Mbee, I understand your dilemma...

Most but not all enthusiasts want an aftermarket exhaust that has drama and creates attention.. The ones that fall into this catagory want the whole neighbourhood to know when they've started up the car and to hear the car spitting flames out on the over run!!

I am probably like yourself prefer not to have this unwanted attention but do appreciate a lovely straight six sound track when you are in the mood to give it the beans on a windy B road..

The cold start is a problem with any after market exhaust (it's even loud on the std. exhaust with valve closed and it's additional resonators) so to go for an after market exhaust is only going to make it worse in my opinion.

Have you considered getting your std. exhaust modified? PCW exhaust mods who has a mobile service has a very good reputation. He can make your exhaust louder by welding and I've heard others say that when vlave is closed it doesn't drone (not heard one myself mind). However, cold start will still be louder than standard..

PS if you don't like the pops and bangs, you can configure the Sports mode so that it's chassis only so the engine/throttle mode stays in non Sport mode (where the pops and bangs are artificially induced) but you get the heavier steering
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:59 am

clarkeysntfc wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:15 pm
If the engine on my M140i went pop, recovered to dealer and it was found to have a Remus exhaust on it, I'd expect to have a serious fight on my hands to get BMW to cover the repair under warranty.
Sorry that’s rubbish.

Exhaust swap will be difficult to prove as sole causal factor esp given BMW sell a full CBE system for the B58 as the ‘S’ part in MPPSK !!!
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

rob_65

Post by rob_65 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:16 pm

simplesimon wrote:
motechmike wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:35 am
MPE is just a rear box , also has no valve, Remus offer a full system thats a larger bore and will lose the 2 mid box's

Stock is 2 out of 10
MPE is 5 out 10

Remus is 10 haha !
Witnessed a motech M140i with remus exhaust and carbon tips at the bluewater meet. Loving your work. Sounded epic :)
That was me Simon :) - yes thank you Mike!

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”