Word of warning: do not mess with Sport+ in wet!!

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

Np01
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Word of warning: do not mess with Sport+ in wet!!

Post by Np01 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:35 pm

docwra wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:18 pm
How TVR drivers manage to get anywhere Ill never know ;) :lol:
Mk1 3L Capri, now that motor had to have bags of sand in boot to keep it In a straight line
M135i Manual, mineral/oyster, Bluespark box, carbon mirrors, MPE, carbon trim, double slat grille, HK, pro Nav, Alcantara wheel, AC roof spoiler, on MPSS

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:46 pm

docwra wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:18 pm
How TVR drivers manage to get anywhere Ill never know ;) :lol:
They are lively but perfectly managable if you don’t drive like a twat.
I do wonder how those brought up with FWD and modern RWD with all the safety nets would cope in a TVR - I suspect the experiment would be short lived but spectacular at the end. :D
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

sgb27
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sgb27 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:00 pm

agm2992mga wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:05 pm
If you want to keep your boxers anything like remotely clean, steer away from this combo..!!

On my way home from work, I tried Sport+ in the wet for a about a whole 60 seconds.. Exiting a corner/roundabout at low speed and without even giving it much right foot, my back end was spun out so that I had to drastically correct the nose pronto.

I gave myself - and I think the guy oncoming - a fright.

I didn't appreciate what a weapon the Sport+ "partial" traction off is in moderate wet!
Don't take this lightly - I advise not to try it yourself.. It will probably only take you one quick go @20mph to think you won't reattempt either!

Be safe..
Cheers
If you think that's bad, wait until you try Sport+ in the *dry* and lose the back end... Everything happens 2x faster, including when you hit the kerb...

IME it's the 18" MPSS tyres are mostly to blame for the very quick snap oversteer. On my 17" winter tyres I drove almost exclusively in Sport+ in all conditions, rear-end slides started gradually and were very easy to catch before the Sport+ stability stuff kicked in, I never felt in danger even with TC totally off flooring it out of slow corners. My experience is exactly the same as yours though with Sport+ in the wet on MPSS, it's grip grip grip grip grip BOOM you're sideways in an instant. I wonder if 17" summer tyres would be more predictable?
M140i Shadow - EB/Auto

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:17 pm

I think the standard car with the e-LSD is unpredictable in the wet in Sport+. With an LSD, DTC On/Sport+ becomes a very usable mode, even/especially in the wet!
It allows predictable, progressive slip then an electronic safety net that gently reins things in if you push it too far. Perfect for fast road driving IMO.

Personally, on the roads around Surrey, which are cratered and broken, I prefer DTC On (quick press of the TC button) to Sport+ as I don't like the heavy steering and firm damping.

RWD does take a completely different approach to FWD or AWD though. Without wishing to sound patronising, booking some tuition either on a track day or skid pan would be a very wise investment to anyone coming straight to an M-Lite as their first RWD car.
I did a drift course at Millbrook in my GT-R (and have done drift courses before in RWD cars), but might do another in the M140i and I've owned loads of RWD cars. Never too old or experienced to continue learning!
Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,
full Akrapovic, M4 LCAs, Quaife

Watch my YouTube vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidYu2007

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:02 pm

swanny71 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:46 pm
They are lively but perfectly managable if you don’t drive like a twat.
I do wonder how those brought up with FWD and modern RWD with all the safety nets would cope in a TVR - I suspect the experiment would be short lived but spectacular at the end. :D
Having owned a few 400+hp 200SX's I know where youre coming from :lol:

I think the biggest difference is that going fast in a 200 or TVR actually feels terrifying compared to the 1er (mine is rather heavily modified), the latter is a lot more likely to get you into trouble without you noticing.

Bingers
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Bingers » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Sport+ and the ZF8 in manual is my go to, at the end if the day its driver input not the driving mode!

Even in the snow a couple of months back it was fine and as you are in control it behaved like DTC mode.
Estoril Blue M140i 5dr, Auto, couple of options, MPE.

stag74
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by stag74 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:21 pm

Driver aids :lol:
Had nothing but RWD cars since passing my test in the mid 80's.
No driver aids at all back then of course.
Even recently had a Lotus Elise with nothing, and mid engine, so when you over cook...you over cook big style!
Also have an early Maserati 4200, that doesn't have any stability control, so have to be very careful with that too!
What I have therefore noticed with the M140i is that, having similar power/weight as the Maserati, is that it is under tyred in my opinion, and breaks traction much easier both front and rear.
M140i 3 Door Manual

harrymaine

Post by harrymaine » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 pm

I've had the car 6 months now... tried sport+ a few times. This weekend reached a corner that was somewhat 90 degrees... spun out and near enough wrote it off. Not sure I'll try that again!!

Np01
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Np01 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 am

harrymaine wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 pm
I've had the car 6 months now... tried sport+ a few times. This weekend reached a corner that was somewhat 90 degrees... spun out and near enough wrote it off. Not sure I'll try that again!!
Just out of curiosity, what sort of speeds are you taking round 90 degree corners?
M135i Manual, mineral/oyster, Bluespark box, carbon mirrors, MPE, carbon trim, double slat grille, HK, pro Nav, Alcantara wheel, AC roof spoiler, on MPSS

mouse140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by mouse140i » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:15 am

Np01 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 am
harrymaine wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 pm
Just out of curiosity, what sort of speeds are you taking round 90 degree corners?
What? Like entry speed? Apex speed? Exit speed?

What about the camber of the road? The surface?

I’d be thinking more about how balanced the car was before entering the corner and having a neutral throttle at the very least.

Sounds to me like someone gave it too much right foot too early and wasn’t prepared for the ensuing result.

Williams327
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Williams327 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:09 am

LSD makes them very manageable, I came from a golf R and this was my first RWD car. Took me almost a year to get used to but wouldn’t change back now

https://youtu.be/6ACT2WAUJm0

:lol:

M140i 3 door Auto

Mods - JB4, MP LSD, underbody brace, Carbon MPE, BCS res delete, sports cat DP, auto id mirrors, kerscher splitter, carbon spoiler, Mp skirts & blades, Mp grills, OZ ultraleggeras, H&R -25mm

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:41 am

For Christmas, my wife kindly got me a wet weather course voucher for Goodwood, where they use the M240i coupé as the training car. The price was £99 and apparently you're on track for about 20-30 minutes. They also do a more expensive and longer £300 driver training course which I might do if the wet weather one turns out to be good value.

Most M-Lite owners are going to find something similar on offer locally and my experience from one that I did at Hethel many years ago was that it's impossible to learn how to fully handle performance cars on public roads. On the Hethel one we all spun the cars numerous times, knocked over lots of plastic cones, and drove off onto the grass. You simply cant get this sort of learning experience on the road.

In my case, the Hethel training absolutely saved me from a potentially fatal accident and probably from a couple of off-road excursions in the subsequent ten years. So given what I've spent on my M235i, I think budgeting another few hundred £ for refresher training is well worth it. And I'd recommend it to any M-Lite owner who hasn't done this sort of thing before.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

louisjack23
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by louisjack23 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:54 am

Reading some of these posts it's no wonder insurance is so bloody high on these cars! These cars are anything but snappy, I can't remember the last time I drove in anything other than manual and sport+ regardless of the conditions. I'm not claiming to be Senna but it sound's like a lot of people on here sh*te themselves in anything other than comfort.

KR15
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by KR15 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 am

Williams327 wrote:LSD makes them very manageable, I came from a golf R and this was my first RWD car. Took me almost a year to get used to but wouldn’t change back now

https://youtu.be/6ACT2WAUJm0

You need to have a serious word with whoever filmed that!

Filming in portrait should be a criminal offence!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Current - BMW M140i, BCS Powervalve Cat Back :twisted:
Prev - Focus ST-3 Mk3.5 :D

Williams327
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Williams327 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:37 am

[/quote]You need to have a serious word with whoever filmed that!

Filming in portrait should be a criminal offence!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
[/quote]

M140i 3 door Auto

Mods - JB4, MP LSD, underbody brace, Carbon MPE, BCS res delete, sports cat DP, auto id mirrors, kerscher splitter, carbon spoiler, Mp skirts & blades, Mp grills, OZ ultraleggeras, H&R -25mm

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”