Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

T0pgun

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by T0pgun » Sat May 19, 2018 10:21 am

Car booked in Tuesday due to loss of coolant and yes there is a hole in the front rad!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R1cey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Loss of aircon/coolant leak, Both radiators damaged. Updated - BMW and Dealer paying in full.

Post by R1cey » Sat May 19, 2018 11:51 am

Let us know how you get on. Hopefully this thread will strengthen your case.
R1cey
------------------------------------------------------
Current: F20 M140i Auto in Valencia Orange
Gone: F30 320i Auto X-Drive M-Sport in MG

T0pgun

Post by T0pgun » Sat May 19, 2018 12:44 pm

R1cey wrote:Let us know how you get on. Hopefully this thread will strengthen your case.
Fingers crossed, spoke to soper Lincoln they said it’s external influences and they can’t fit me in until the end of JuneImageImageImage

Rebooked Thursday for Stratstone and they can look at it Tuesday and hopefully they are a bit more helpful..!

andyh

Post by andyh » Sat May 19, 2018 1:21 pm

T0pgun wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:44 pm
R1cey wrote:Let us know how you get on. Hopefully this thread will strengthen your case.
Fingers crossed, spoke to soper Lincoln they said it’s external influences and they can’t fit me in until the end of JuneImageImageImage

Rebooked Thursday for Stratstone and they can look at it Tuesday and hopefully they are a bit more helpful..!

If you want your car looked at sooner, call out bmw assist, if you have it.
I called the dealer first, but was told I couldn't be seen till end of May. Assist guy got me booked in as an "emergency case" at the same place on the same day. Sorted out a replacement car for me too.
Good luck getting it sorted!

ChrisCuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ChrisCuk » Sat May 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Oh no, no coolant in the expansion tank!
... Okay sir, we will take you to the garage.

Just because you get there doesn't mean you'll be seen quickly. I was taken out the dealer at 3pm on Sunday and my car was inspected at 5pm on Tuesday.

It's still in the garage with nothing being done to it.

I gave my courtesy car back on Wednesday.

I have no idea on a time of fix. No one wants to pay

Slade Prison

Post by Slade Prison » Sat May 19, 2018 2:05 pm

.Griff. wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:23 pm
Slade Prison wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 pm
SNIP
Are they fitting the revised rad/mounting system or like for like?
Hi - I understand it's the revised set-up that they're fitting as the technician specifically stated a replacement radiator now comes with a stone-guard.

R1cey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by R1cey » Sat May 19, 2018 2:12 pm

T0pgun wrote:

Yes, it’s external influences, BUT a weak design contributing, and the fact they are now fitting rock guards, acknowledges this. Car manufacturer’s don’t integrate anything that’s not serving a purpose, because it’s all about cost!
R1cey
------------------------------------------------------
Current: F20 M140i Auto in Valencia Orange
Gone: F30 320i Auto X-Drive M-Sport in MG

ChrisCuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ChrisCuk » Sat May 19, 2018 2:24 pm

If you get a new rad it doesn't automatically include a stone guard. I had a pricelist and part list for what was needed to fix mine and they wasn't even aware at the time about the rock guards :(

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Sat May 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Slade Prison wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:05 pm
.Griff. wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:23 pm
Slade Prison wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 pm
SNIP
Are they fitting the revised rad/mounting system or like for like?
Hi - I understand it's the revised set-up that they're fitting as the technician specifically stated a replacement radiator now comes with a stone-guard.
It would be good if we could get confirmation once you collect the car along with any associated paperwork to show that they've fitted the revised version.

It will help us all as a collective to have that ammunition.
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

T0pgun

Post by T0pgun » Sat May 19, 2018 3:44 pm

andyh wrote:
T0pgun wrote:

If you want your car looked at sooner, call out bmw assist, if you have it.
I called the dealer first, but was told I couldn't be seen till end of May. Assist guy got me booked in as an "emergency case" at the same place on the same day. Sorted out a replacement car for me too.
Good luck getting it sorted!
I did call out assist on Tuesday but they advised the car would get looked at quicker if I talked to the garages and soper don’t have a compoo so no way am I leaving it on the side of the road for a week

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:18 pm

moulin12 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:23 pm
My email

Team,

I would be grateful for your clarification over the reason for the fitting of the radiator guards on B58 engines from December 2017 onwards. I ask for this clarification since it has been reported on BMW owner forums that BMW do not regard exposure to radiator damage as 'an issue'.

In which case, would you please confirm that the fitting of the guards is for cosmetic reasons only.

Should you not be able to confirm this, would you please provide the reason why the guards are now fitted as standard to B58 engines, whilst this has not been the case for older models. If early adopters of the B58 engines had this information, perhaps this would ease the growing concerns in the community and allow us to address the problem rather than leave customers financially exposed:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1471446
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=110573&sid=99f3b71 ... 3404e2e216
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=107574
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92740
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110408

Thank you

E.....

=======================

Response

Good afternoon E....

Thanks for your email letting us know your feelings about the design of your BMW 2 Series.

We don’t have any design concerns about the engines on your model of BMW. But, we value feedback from our customers and we’re always looking for ways to improve our product range. So I’ve passed your thoughts to our Product Development Department for their internal records.

If there’s anything else I can help you with, please get in touch.

Kind regards

T.....
=========================

My reply

Hello Thomas

Over the past three years I have spent over £75,000 cash on 2 bmw cars and 1 motorbike, plus more than an additional £6,000 on accessories. I would like to think that when I write to bmw customer service with a question you would do me the courtesy of a reply to that question. My questions again, should this not have been clear:

Question 1. From December 2017, models with the B58 engine were fitted with additional mesh in front of the radiators and intercooler. Please would you confirm whether the fitting of the guards is for cosmetic reasons only.

Question 2. If the fitting of guards was not for cosmetic reason, please provide the reason why the guards are now fitted as standard to B58 engines, whilst this has not been the case for older models.

I think these questions entirely reasonable and fair.

Please would you additionally provide a route for escalation in this matter.

Thank you.

====================

I was attempted to add, please attempt both questions, showing your workings in the margin.
========================

the response

Good afternoon

Thanks for your further email.

BMW AG Germany the manufacturer are constantly researching and developing ways to enhance our cars. I hope you can appreciate that as a private business, the reason for design enhancement or changes are internal ones. For this reason, I’m unable to answer your questions directly, or pass your concerns onto anyone further.

I’m sorry for any further disappointment caused.
F22 M240i 8AT

CSJH
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by CSJH » Sun May 20, 2018 5:26 pm

With an attitude like the response above from BMW UK (amongst other issues I’ve personally had with their customer services) this will be my final bmw after a 12 year stint of ownership and 5 cars.
M140- Alpine white with coral red interior

ChrisCuk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ChrisCuk » Sun May 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Did we really expect them to acknowledge a potential law suit over email?
Honestly it's good trying to poke them into giving an answer but if they did say there was a problem they'd be sacked there and then.

LeChuck

Post by LeChuck » Sun May 20, 2018 11:15 pm

I've also written to enquire about this issue. I'll agree that they can't admit there is design issue, but I don't like seeing people being stuck with expensive repair bills for this, and I certainly don't want to be in that boat either. So I think putting some pressure on them is a good idea.

I'd like to fit the mesh in my bumper but potential warranty issues mean owners of vehicles without the guards are kind of stuck without a BMW approved solution to the problem.
2017 M240i LCI MG CR

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:30 am

I've dropped a short, polite email to the CEO, but will keep that correspondence private.

Have similar concerns about fitting the mesh.
F22 M240i 8AT

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”