Michelin PSS or PS4

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

SilverSport
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Michelin PSS or PS4

Post by SilverSport » Tue May 15, 2018 9:03 pm

I’m planning to make the move from run flat and im in a dilemma as to whether I should go for Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4.

I’m sure coming from runflats so I’m sure either will feel amazing.

I ran PS4 on my last car (Megane RS275 Cup) and they were pretty good, but I’ve never ran with PSS and I know these come with with PSS as standard.

Interested to hear peoples real world use on both, and which way you’d go if you bought tyres.
M140i / AW / MPE

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Michelin PSS or PS4

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 15, 2018 9:04 pm

Do you run Winters in winter?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 pm

Both good, but MPSS are just unbeatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Menace
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Menace » Tue May 15, 2018 9:25 pm

What MP said ^^^ if the answer is yes then personally I’d opt for the MPSS if no, then I’d opt for what I have now: the MPS4
65 plate F20 M135i / MG / auto / well spec’ed with: Eibach Pro's / F21 tension strut / black grilles, splitter, side blades & diffuser / full de-badge

Np01
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Np01 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:09 pm

I’ve just swapped mine out for new boots all round, stuck with the MPSS, haven’t driven on the PS4 but MPSS are a brilliant tyre, car sticks to the road in the dry
M135i Manual, mineral/oyster, Bluespark box, carbon mirrors, MPE, carbon trim, double slat grille, HK, pro Nav, Alcantara wheel, AC roof spoiler, on MPSS, Forge Motorsport Charge Pipe

SilverSport
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SilverSport » Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:04 pm
Do you run Winters in winter?
No, I don’t run winter tyres during winter.
Menace wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:25 pm
What MP said ^^^ if the answer is yes then personally I’d opt for the MPSS if no, then I’d opt for what I have now: the MPS4
How do you find the MPS4? Did you come from PSS and notice a difference?

Also, do people go for 88 or 92 rates tyres?
M140i / AW / MPE

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:29 pm

MPSS might be best if you intend to track it or drive like a loon on the road, otherwise the MPS4 is the better all round road tyre. I've used them both and will be fitting another pair of PS4 rears on Friday.

Obviously this is just my experience but have a read of the comments toward the bottom of this page, there's a tech boffin from Michelin explaining the differences between the tyres.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Mi ... -Drive.htm
Current: 130i & 1M
Previous: Exige V6, TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 182 Trophy, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 15, 2018 10:34 pm

I'd go PS4, they're more tolerant of deep standing water. MPSS threw THETYRANT (and Clarkson) off the track due to the limited drainage of the rears. (The fronts are fine).

92Y
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

SilverSport
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SilverSport » Tue May 15, 2018 10:43 pm

swanny71 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:29 pm
MPSS might be best if you intend to track it or drive like a loon on the road, otherwise the MPS4 is the better all round road tyre. I've used them both and will be fitting another pair of PS4 rears on Friday.

Obviously this is just my experience but have a read of the comments toward the bottom of this page, there's a tech boffin from Michelin explaining the differences between the tyres.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Mi ... -Drive.htm
Thanks for the feedback and link too, I’ll go have a read now.

I don’t plan on tracking the car. It’s just used enthusiastically at times 😂
marco_polo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:34 pm
I'd go PS4, they're more tolerant of deep standing water. MPSS threw THETYRANT (and Clarkson) off the track due to the limited drainage of the rears. (The fronts are fine).

92Y
Yeah that’s a good point, and we do get our fair share of rain the UK.

Is that 92Y front and rear?

Does it affect the handling having 92 instead of 88 on the front?
M140i / AW / MPE

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 pm

You just get a little less annoying outer-edge tyre wear.

SilverSport
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by SilverSport » Tue May 15, 2018 11:02 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 pm
You just get a little less annoying outer-edge tyre wear.
Ah that’s good then - I get that on my run flats too!
M140i / AW / MPE

Spoof
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Spoof » Wed May 16, 2018 8:54 am

I've switched to the PS4 now too. I'm a huge fan of the MPSS and will probably switch to the PS4S on my other cars when the time comes, but the 140 is my daily commuter and the PS4 is more of an all round tyre imo.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 am

PS4 is a good choice, I will be moving to these when mine need changing - have them on our E91 and they are really good in all conditions.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

shifty_dave
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by shifty_dave » Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 am

I've just put PS4 on the rear and they've been great so far, though I switched to them straight from winters so it's a bit more tricky to do a direct comparison with PSS. In my opinion though there's been a negligible difference in dry weather grip on the road (on track I imagine PSS would be better as it has a greater contact patch), but the channels are much wider so in the wet they're noticeably better. With PSS the traction control would often kick in when booting it out of roundabouts but there's barely anything with PS4. Pics below show the difference in tread patterns on the rear. PSS on the front have wider channels in the narrower tyre size so the difference between the two in wet weather might not be so large.

I still have PSS on the fronts but will replace with PS4 when they need doing, and I'll get 92Y.

16 plate F20 M135i LCI / Auto / Passive Suspension / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / Comfort Package / Pro Media / Privacy Glass / Heated Seats

sir richard large
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sir richard large » Wed May 16, 2018 11:47 am

I'm currently running PSS on the BMW, and have also fitted new PS4 on Megane3Cup.

Honestly, I dont push either of them hard enough, regularly enough, to tease out the nuances between them.

Moreover, because my BMW F20 is xDrive, i dont run into grip problems on acceleration phase, like many others claim to.

So my personal priorities is: (1) feel/progressiveness/response (2) comfort (3) grip (4) everything else

This is how Michelin ranks them on their internal scale

They didnt discern wet handling, but from testimonial, and simply from seeing the grooves, I think theres no reason to pick PSS with PS4S on the market. Between the PS4S and PS4, I would lean towards PS4 for reasons aforementioned

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”