Upgrading to M2? - M2 Competition affecting standard M2's

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

TRL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Upgrading to M2? - M2 Competition affecting standard M2's

Post by TRL » Fri May 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Being a car dealer and owner of an M2 LCI here is my take on it.
The current M2 has been discounted by some dealers(ahem) by as much as 10% meaning that instead of paying £51K most paid £46K recently.
these cars after 6 months are booking in the trade at £37K today. So dealer are retailing them for around £40K.
However across 154 BMW dealers there are only around 150 cars for sale. This may increase as a few owners panic and dump there cars.
Prices could dip slightly due to over-supply and under demand during Q4 of this year.
However that is balanced out a bit by the fact that a lot of people want an M2C when it comes out, however each dealer will be lucky to get 5 cars
between September and December.... and if they are like me they will have taken over 20 odd deposits with no discount, meaning that the lead time is 9 months or so.... and to repeat, with no discounts the car will be £600pm plus for most - that could potentially help hold up used car prices of late low mileage M2 LCI (like mine).... agreed the prices will only go one way, but I honestly don't see a price crash coming, just a dip for a few months and then it will go back to a gentle decline month by month.
"I don't sell cars, I sell dreams, :mrgreen:
M140 Motech Edition M.002 (for work); M2 M-DCT LCI (for FUN) :D .

Samp4856
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Samp4856 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:04 am

I have to admit when i knew the m2c was coming i quickly aborted my m2, kinda glad i did, the same dealer that gave me 41k for it in decemeber only sold it a week ago for 37.5k.
M140 manual, with a few good bits from BMS, BCS, MOTECH, EIBACH etc. :mrgreen:

jimBabyBMW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jimBabyBMW » Sat May 19, 2018 8:44 pm

So you took an M2 for a spin from the dealer and the advantages of the LSD were apparent?

What utter BULLSHIT!

you liked the M2 because it looks better and makes you feel like a boss (even though you'll have to turn your heating down this coming winter to make the payments)

Franc

Post by Franc » Sun May 20, 2018 3:54 pm

All M cars unless limited lose lots of money.

I have to say the outgoing M2 in my eyes is still an object of desire. I know if I was upgrading from my m135i than that is the car I would be looking at.

BlueSatan

Post by BlueSatan » Mon May 21, 2018 12:03 am

Franc wrote:All M cars unless limited lose lots of money.

I have to say the outgoing M2 in my eyes is still an object of desire. I know if I was upgrading from my m135i than that is the car I would be looking at.
I feel it’s uncomfortably too close to the M140. The comp maybe but would be on fence to ditch M140 into an M2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M140i SE
Previous
Golf Mk4, MK4 GTi, MK7 R

nickb
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nickb » Mon May 21, 2018 8:31 pm

BlueSatan wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 12:03 am
Franc wrote:All M cars unless limited lose lots of money.

I feel it’s uncomfortably too close to the M140. The comp maybe but would be on fence to ditch M140 into an M2.

Eh? The 240 isn’t even close and if I could afford one would love a Comp, yes that would also be without driving it first just like my first M Lite that I hadn’t even tested because they were a long way off. I trusted the judgment of the reviews and took delivery as one of the earliest privately owned cars in 2012.

We all want for more and the M140i is a great car as is my 240 but ‘proper’ M cars are on another level. That includes handling, power and looks along with big bills which I cannot afford!
M240i - Auto - Melbourne Red :spotman:
M135i - Auto - AW & Black Leather GONE
M135i - Manual -AW & Red Coral leather GONE

Samp4856
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Samp4856 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:19 pm

The m2 is not a proper M car though, its a good car yes, but a proper m car no, it lacks that special fizz about it, i can honestly say the only day of excitment about mine was the day i was due to pick it up, seeing it there and having a sales manager go wow your the only 23 year old we have ever sold a new m car too, that kinda makes you feel good, but with in a mile of leaving the dealership i was like wow, what an over rated car, a good car yes but no where near as good as it was made out to be, maybe ive been spoilt having owned a couple of porsches and verious performance cars, but the m2 always felt held back and was actually that fast, and my god on my villages cobbles made me want to cry 😂

nickb
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nickb » Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 pm

Sorry to say Samp but yes you are much luckier than most so will appear spoilt, not many 23 year olds I know that own Porsche’s or an M2. I am mid thirties and love cars as we all do but I would love an M2 Comp so I just dream that I can patiently get to 3 years in my motor (which I have to plan to myself in advance) and hope that I can climb the ladder. It’s a dream! We have to have hope. It’s rediculous we are so greedy, my colleague just bought a lovely 2 year old Octavia and I think it’s a pretty nice car to be fair

nickb
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by nickb » Mon May 21, 2018 9:51 pm

In fact I don’t know any!!

AndytheGreek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndytheGreek » Mon May 21, 2018 10:17 pm

Samp4856 wrote:The m2 is not a proper M car though, its a good car yes, but a proper m car no, it lacks that special fizz about it, i can honestly say the only day of excitment about mine was the day i was due to pick it up, seeing it there and having a sales manager go wow your the only 23 year old we have ever sold a new m car too, that kinda makes you feel good, but with in a mile of leaving the dealership i was like wow, what an over rated car, a good car yes but no where near as good as it was made out to be, maybe ive been spoilt having owned a couple of porsches and verious performance cars, but the m2 always felt held back and was actually that fast, and my god on my villages cobbles made me want to cry Image
You talk like a spoilt brat too.
2017 M2

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Mon May 21, 2018 10:45 pm

Samp4856 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:19 pm
The m2 is not a proper M car though, its a good car yes, but a proper m car no, it lacks that special fizz about it, i can honestly say the only day of excitment about mine was the day i was due to pick it up, seeing it there and having a sales manager go wow your the only 23 year old we have ever sold a new m car too, that kinda makes you feel good, but with in a mile of leaving the dealership i was like wow, what an over rated car, a good car yes but no where near as good as it was made out to be, maybe ive been spoilt having owned a couple of porsches and verious performance cars, but the m2 always felt held back and was actually that fast, and my god on my villages cobbles made me want to cry 😂
And we’ve been down this route before Samp. You didn’t bond with the car for whatever reason, you basically convinced yourself you didn’t like it and honed in on its bad points which I have always said it does have. Overall the m2 is a very good car. many reviews said it was the best M (yes a proper M car) for a decade or so.
You didn’t get on with it and your view which you’re entitled to is the opposite of most journalists and owners.

You mention the m2 lacks fizz which again is the complete opposite of the majority of owners opinion.

Not sure what being 23 has to do with it all though if I am honest.

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Samp4856 wrote:The m2 is not a proper M car though, its a good car yes, but a proper m car no, it lacks that special fizz about it, i can honestly say the only day of excitment about mine was the day i was due to pick it up, seeing it there and having a sales manager go wow your the only 23 year old we have ever sold a new m car too, that kinda makes you feel good, but with in a mile of leaving the dealership i was like wow, what an over rated car, a good car yes but no where near as good as it was made out to be, maybe ive been spoilt having owned a couple of porsches and verious performance cars, but the m2 always felt held back and was actually that fast, and my god on my villages cobbles made me want to cry Image
FML what a melt.

I really don’t like this guy.

It’s not really an M car? WTF!!! Go away, you have no place here.

2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x » Tue May 22, 2018 12:57 am

Samp4856 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:19 pm
Driving on shitty cobbled village roads is no place for ANY car.

Did you ever even take the M2 to a track?

The car has potential. Maybe you just don’t know how to drive it?

Maybe in your opinion a “proper” M car is purely aesthetics which the M2 lacks; M mirrors, power dome and the M seats.

How you can say the M2 is not a proper M car when it shares a lot of components as it’s biggers brothers is beyond me.

And good for you. Buying an expensive car at 23.

I was mortgage free at 25.

Someone tell me how amazing I am and give me a medal please. :)

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Tue May 22, 2018 6:15 am

He did take it on a track and was very disappointed with the m2. He also admitted he basically had decided he didn’t think the m2 was particularly that great so focused on why he doesn’t rate it. Wasn’t in love in the first place and ended up in a bitter divorce.

It’s like trip advisor and that one bad review that is the complete opposite of hundreds if not thousands of others, you can’t please everyone. Personally even cars that I’m not that fond (golf r, focus rs, Audi rs) of would get more praise from me unless they are absolute crap

And yes I base my entire life on trip advisor reviews before some smart arse picks up on it!

IMO Samp has some valid(ish) reasons for disliking the M2 which I generally disagree with but IMO his overall negative portrayal of the M2 is far from a balanced opinion for whatever reasons he has. His view though however wrong he may be!!!! One thing for sure is he isn't going to change it.

Samp4856
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Samp4856 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 am

wenklaw wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:15 am
He did take it on a track and was very disappointed with the m2. He also admitted he basically had decided he didn’t think the m2 was particularly that great so focused on why he doesn’t rate it. Wasn’t in love in the first place and ended up in a bitter divorce.

It’s like trip advisor and that one bad review that is the complete opposite of hundreds if not thousands of others, you can’t please everyone. Personally even cars that I’m not that fond (golf r, focus rs, Audi rs) of would get more praise from me unless they are absolute crap

And yes I base my entire life on trip advisor reviews before some smart arse picks up on it!

IMO Samp has some valid(ish) reasons for disliking the M2 which I generally disagree with but IMO his overall negative portrayal of the M2 is far from a balanced opinion for whatever reasons he has. His view though however wrong he may be!!!! One thing for sure is he isn't going to change it.
Ive said above that m2 is still a good car, infact it was in my first line of my above post as it is a good car, but i see it like this, if the car didnt have short commings then bmw wouldn't be releasing this new version and ditching the old, they would keep the cars running together like they do the m3/m4/comp range, bare in mind there is also ment to be a m2 comp at some point too, again i will stress the m2 was/is a good car, is it xxx amount more than an mlite? Im no so convinced maybe i had a bad one who knows, i still maintain if id of got a manual and the m2 had adaptive it would of been a diffrent story.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”