Baby BMW Forum banner

No More Manual M140 M240 from JULY 2018

15K views 128 replies 68 participants last post by  baderlfc 
#1 ·
So today we had an update for July..... For both the M140 and M240....

All changes take effect from week 27, July 2018.
- Option 2TB Sport Automatic transmission now standard on 120i and M140i models. Manual transmission is no longer available.

#102 ·
I think this was inevitable to be honest. I went for a manual and don't regret it but there are occasions where I think maybe I should have got an auto instead.
That said, I had a DSG auto a couple of cars ago and I thought it was boring. Even though I had flappy paddles and I could chose my own gear, I found I ended up being lazy and letting the box do the work nearly all the time. It was doing a better job than me and objectively it's a better gearbox, but it just took a bit away from the experience of actually driving a car.
It's 50/50 though, last night I blasted my way home and shock horror I actually enjoyed operating the clutch and gearbox myself. I felt like I had a real hand and control in what the car was actually doing and it felt like I was connected to a mechanical 'thing'.
This all says as much about me as it does about the gearbox, but that's the point, it's another choice that's been taken away from us.
I do find it a bit strange how many people post on these threads about how the auto is better and is the best of both worlds. Maybe it is, but this is a preference thing and the more people post about how one gearbox is better than the other, the more it seems like they are just trying to justify their own choice.
Reading multiple reviews before I decided, there is a clear split even amongst so called seasoned journalists. Some say the manual is more engaging, some say the auto is a better package. Horses for courses I suppose, although it's clearly academic now.

#103 ·
stag74 said:
A manual M140i is soon to become a rare beast indeed then!
What are the stats on manual vs auto that are currently on the road?
I bought a manual as I thought it would probably be one of the last opportunities for a big engine/manual box/rwd car, it appears as though I was right!
56831C5A-E72A-4E65-8648-233F1890B99B.jpeg

2017 is showing autos way ahead of manual boxes on all the M140i variants these are UK registered cars

#105 ·
Temeraire said:
Billy1mate said:
No loss, the 8 speed auto is the box to have.
For you maybe. Not for me. Tried one and hated every second of it.

BMW just made deciding on the next car a bit simpler. No manual = no sale to me! Hey ho!
The problem with the auto box is that it needs time to gel with it. I hated the test I had at first as I couldn't work the box out at all, but I stuck with it and went auto. Best choice ever!!!

But it did take 3-4 months to really work the box out and get the most out of it.

I now hate driving manuals in any driving style.

#106 ·
To me one has to examine the car as a whole.

In a lightweight car, where one feels close to the chassis, to the steering, with little insulation and simple interior where ones concentration is on the driving experience, a (high quality) manual is essential.

The MX5 is that car, and just won't make sense with an auto.

BMW already has a plump steering wheel, electric rack, decent insulation from the road, fat engine bottom end and broad power delivery, etc.... the driving experience of it sinply does not make me consciously aware of, or long for, a shifter to stir.

And I say that a manual fanatic.

The 8 gears, and auto downshift on braking (keeping it prepped for proper power delivery) means one never has to wait for a jerky downshift to motor on

#107 ·
OneTwenty said:
Temeraire said:
Billy1mate said:
No loss, the 8 speed auto is the box to have.
For you maybe. Not for me. Tried one and hated every second of it.

BMW just made deciding on the next car a bit simpler. No manual = no sale to me! Hey ho!
The problem with the auto box is that it needs time to gel with it. I hated the test I had at first as I couldn't work the box out at all, but I stuck with it and went auto. Best choice ever!!!

But it did take 3-4 months to really work the box out and get the most out of it.

I now hate driving manuals in any driving style.
Totally agree, after 30 year of 'stick shift', the 'slush box' is now better,IMHO, than what BMW have to offer in the manual. And massively better than a lot of the competition have to offer. Quicker, does it when you need it.... and still gives you a connection to a great driving car [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#108 ·
sir richard large said:
To me one has to examine the car as a whole.

In a lightweight car, where one feels close to the chassis, to the steering, with little insulation and simple interior where ones concentration is on the driving experience, a (high quality) manual is essential.

The MX5 is that car, and just won't make sense with an auto.

BMW already has a plump steering wheel, electric rack, decent insulation from the road, fat engine bottom end and broad power delivery, etc.... the driving experience of it sinply does not make me consciously aware of, or long for, a shifter to stir.

And I say that a manual fanatic.
Nailed it

#109 ·
Goonery said:
stag74 said:
A manual M140i is soon to become a rare beast indeed then!
What are the stats on manual vs auto that are currently on the road?
I bought a manual as I thought it would probably be one of the last opportunities for a big engine/manual box/rwd car, it appears as though I was right!

2017 is showing autos way ahead of manual boxes on all the M140i variants these are UK registered cars
Wow, nearly 90% auto for Shadow Edition!
Definitely holding onto mine, it'll be worth as much as a 964 RS in years to come! [emoji23]

#110 ·
I bought my M140i as a manual as I'd thought I'd miss the interactivity if I had the auto in daily driving.
Having put in a BMS shift it is better, but it's not a great gearbox compared to other cars I've had, esp. first to second changes can't be rushed and downshifting quickly from third to second can result in heading to fourth, unless you are very deliberate with the movement.

I suspect the auto may be a better match for the power delivery charactertics of the B58 and in general makes the car even more of an all rounder than it currently is.

#112 ·
Billy1mate said:
rm1 said:
Shame that and the loss of rwd on the new 1 series raise serious questions about the ultimate driving machine tag.
BMW just another mass car manufacturer.
Apparently BMW did a survey and 80% of those surveyed didn't know whether the 1 Series was front or rear wheel drive. That was probably a nail in the coffin for the car.
Yes but appealing to the lowest common denominator is not necessarily the bets long term policy.

#113 ·
In Australia auto/DCT is standard and manual is a no cost option that you have to special order.
Pretty much no one gets manual here.

I'm glad I got my M140i in manual as it's probably the last new car I'll be able to get in manual.

Having said that it's not a great shifting gearbox and the ZF is probably a better match for the car.
I'm looking into ways to improve it (CDV delete, clutch stop, removing clutch spring) but it does seem like the car was designed for the auto and the manual was an afterthought.

Also I don't agree with those saying ZF8 is as good as a DCT.
DCT feels sharper, sportier and more direct, and a bit more clunky at low speeds.

#114 ·
Np01 said:
I suppose the gran turismo generation find manuals to hard
I'm part of that generation and have had manual sports cars all my life until the M140. Only reason I went auto is for re-sale/trade value, which an auto will be much easier to make change hands. Don't blame my beloved GT & PS4 hahahaha

#115 ·
Sonic1506 said:
NISFAN said:
I'm not sure which country or currency you are talking about, but in the U.K. the DCT option on M3/4 is list £2645, before discount.

UK. My mistake.
Its still a lot of money, so if they are getting rid of manual will the price increase by £2645 or will they give prevoius auto buyers a £2645 refund......

#117 ·
Having driven manuals all my life, I wouldn't want a manual in the x40i, I'd take the ZF box any day, modern autos are far superior to the autos of old, and the manuals of today.

I have a manual s2000, and the gear change is just so amazing, it makes a bmw and audi manual box feel rubbish

#118 ·
Same here... my dad always drove manuals, I was born in the 80s and have always driven manuals. Auto boxes were always slower and heavier on fuel when I was growing up and when I started driving, and didn't justify the additional cost to me. The M140i is my first auto and was always the box I was going for. The auto box seems to really suit the car and it also suited me this time around. I don't regret it.

Manual gearboxes are not getting any better. Automatics are. I doubt I'll go back now.

#119 ·
I've had my m140i for 12k now and at first the change was notchy and rubbery but not anywhere near as bad as people make out! Now after 12k I really like the change. I used to own a civic type r known to be a good shift and it was. But I wouldn't say it's far far superior to the m140 I don't think there is that much in it. A golf r gear change is worse!

#120 ·
I can't say it's a bad gear change, okay its not like a MX5 when you feel like your hand is inside the gearbox, nor is it wooly like a cable gear change like on my previous Lotus Elise.
I do wish to change the knob though to one of those solid heavy stainless steel ones, just can't decide on which one!

#121 ·
I had a manual B8 S4 - loved that car - then upgraded to an paddleshift B8.5 - couldn't get on with it at all and gave up after a few months and swapped it for a manual M135 (with a massive loss in the process!). Am wondering if I might get on better with a BMW auto/

This is a bit embarrassing but I'll ask anyway - in a paddleshift BMW:

Q1 - say you're driving along in an auto in the normal way doing 50/60mph - you come to a 30mph corner and want to slow the car. Couple of yanks on the paddle gets you down to 3rd say - round the corner you go. Are you now on manual mode or will it take you back up through the gears automatically?

Q2 - I like coasting - if I see the lights go red a few hundred yards ahead I knock the manual into neutral - how easy is this in an auto? If you coast along for a bit then stick it back in drive does it get the right gear?

Cheers for any replies!

#122 ·
dibbly_dobbler said:
I had a manual B8 S4 - loved that car - then upgraded to an paddleshift B8.5 - couldn't get on with it at all and gave up after a few months and swapped it for a manual M135 (with a massive loss in the process!). Am wondering if I might get on better with a BMW auto/

Q1 - say you're driving along in an auto in the normal way doing 50/60mph - you come to a 30mph corner and want to slow the car. Couple of yanks on the paddle gets you down to 3rd say - round the corner you go. Are you now on manual mode or will it take you back up through the gears automatically?

Q2 - I like coasting - if I see the lights go red a few hundred yards ahead I knock the manual into neutral - how easy is this in an auto? If you coast along for a bit then stick it back in drive does it get the right gear?

Cheers for any replies!
Q1 - Yes, if you do this whilst in 'D' / Auto mode on the selector.

Q2. It will do this automatically if you are in Eco-Pro mode, and re-engage drive when you press the accelerator.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#123 ·
dibbly_dobbler said:

Cheers for any replies!
Q1 - if you continue driving normally, the box automatically goes back into D (auto) mode after a number of seconds. It is intelligent though, if you gear down a cog or two to engine brake going down a hill, it recognises this and stays in selected gear, until you apply throttle and start driving normally again.

Q2 - later cars already have 'coast' mode built in when in Ecopro mode. Even better when you are approaching a bend or roundabout, it will select a gear and go into battery regen mode. But it wouldn't be as useable to knock it into neutral. You can do this, but no need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.