Buying a 2nd Hand F20 M135i

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Pixcil

Buying a 2nd Hand F20 M135i

Post by Pixcil » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi everyone!

I've done the good thing and read through the FAQs and everything else. Currently I'm waiting on finances, and in the meantime I've been researching what to buy. I almost decided on a Hyundai Veloster Turbo - but then I stumbled across the M135i. While the newer ones are still out of my price range, I can manage a 2013 model with a bit of budget fiddling once those finances come through.

I have a terrible history with 2nd hand cars. New vehicles I've purchased have always been great and lasted with no issues until it was time to change - but 2nd hand I've ended up with all kinds of issues. So what I'm curious about, at this stage is - what do I look for in a 2nd hand car that may cause concern or show me that it has been thrashed or is a lemon? (And if region is a factor - I'm living in Melbourne, Australia).

Thanks!
- Pixcil (aka Cil)

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Buying a 2nd Hand F20 M135i

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:50 pm

They're pretty reliable as a rule, no major known issues so avoiding lemon's shouldn't be too much of an issue. The engines all sound a bit tappety, but that's usually just the DI injectors chattering away. Some Auto boxes get a bit whiny (especially in 2nd gear), so check for that carefully.

Thrashed cars could have badly worn outer edges on the tyres (particularly the fronts), not a perfect tell-tale though. Possibly high brake wear too.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Pixcil

Post by Pixcil » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Thanks, Marco. What do you mean by a whiny gearbox? I'm currently driving an E46 320i and it makes some sounds that I would personally describe as whiny? Is it similar to what this might be and is it an actual problem? - I somewhat find the whine an interesting characteristic in my car (was like that when I bought it).

stevenzx10r
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by stevenzx10r » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:42 pm

Same as what Marco said. Have a look for s worm steering rack and rock it side to side with engine off if it knocks bad then you can bargain them down or get the garage to change the rack. Is not an issue have a look at mine and Marcos thread about fixing it your self take about 5 mins once you make the tool. But this can be a good point for getting some money off. It does not effect the car at all just sounds a bit strange. Make sure it’s been serviced at the specified intervals on the I-Drive. Exhaust flap rattle is another common issue when starting from cold but again a quick unplug of the valve when it’s open stops this and sounds better, however another point to knock some money off or get them to fix it. Drivers seat bolster can wear but this is common on all BMW’s

I can’t think of anything else that’s a major factor to walk away from as long as it’s in good condition for the price being paid minus some wear and tear marks. Engines are bombproof and so are the gearboxes. Plus these cars love to be ragged and driven hard.
2013 M135i, ZF 8speed Auto, 3 Door, Black Dakota Leather, Alpine White, MP Exhaust, AC Rear Spoiler, Pipercross Panel Filter, Bluespark Tuning Box.

Plans- Michelin sport 4s, Bilstein suspension upgrade, upgraded charge pipe.

Pixcil

Post by Pixcil » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:18 am

Thank you also, Steven.

All this feedback makes me feel rather positive about the potential upgrade. Getting pretty excited. Here's to hoping that I get my money before the particular sample is sold - I always prefer dealer when I can for the 6 month warranty they are supposed to come with.

topuphere666
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by topuphere666 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:02 am

Mines on 60k Now, and it’s still as strong and quick as the day I got it. Absolutely cracking Car that never fails to make me smile.

Good luck with the purchase and stick some pics on when you get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F20 M135i - auto -mineral grey, heated leather, pro nav and a few other bits

Pixcil

Post by Pixcil » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:17 am

Will do! Sent an email inquiry to the dealership and geesh they are keen. Called me back at just past 8am this morning. Then straight up suggesting I place a deposit on the car if I look at it and like it. Like I'd love to but don't have the money to do even that until my finances pull through anyway (I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment, too). Finger crossed I get that one!

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”