Baby BMW Forum banner

plasti-dipped my wheel

3K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  Barney McGrew 
#1 ·
Just trying out what the M140 would look like with different colour wheels, so thought I'd plasti-dip them today.

Sadly not the look I wanted (darker richer gold) but like the look of the darker wheels.

Pretty easy process to do for those that haven't tried.

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
un1eash said:
Don't see it lasting on alloy wheels covered in brake dust.

Fyi use a suction cup like those on a dashcam mount to remove the centre caps.
Once fully cured it stands up pretty well if you have a decent number of layers on. You can wash off the brake dust just like you would normally as long as you don't use anything too abrasive (which you shouldn't anyway).

No need to remove centre caps etc with plasti-dip. Just peel off the overspray area's once it's dry and then you haven't got to clean out or mask the area below the centre caps. I don't mind that gold colour too much, agree a darker tone would be better and the coverage isn't very good over the black at the 11-o-clock position by the look of it.

Also when using plasti-dip, don't be tempted to be economical with the number of layers. If too thin peeling it off is a nightmare. A nice thick layer is harder wearing and will peel off really easily when you want to change back.

#20 ·
Cheers guys.

Didn't do the whole car as wasn't happy with gold. Looking for a bronze gold colour which I'll try next. I brought this from plastidip.co.uk but some colours can be obtained from amazon and eBay. Also dip my car ship to the UK.
Quality wise looks like it'll hold well so long as you've got enough coats applied. Usually say a can a wheel. Removing it very easy just score and peel.

#22 ·
I did the wheels of my previous E82 with Plastidip (mirror caps, chromeline and area under the front fog lights). First it was easy to wash and to keep it clean. At the end, it was horrible: brake dust was in the Plastidip, it was quite abrasive. Colour was not great anymore, etc ...

Peal it off at the begining is quite easy, but at the end, it was almost impossible: it was going off only by very small pieces.

Tu sum up: good product but only during the first months of use.

#25 ·
RSR182 said:
Stegosaurus said:
Sorry for the delay. Here's an MG M140i with the gold wheels.

If anyone else wants any other colour 1/2 series, with any other color wheels, let me know :)

Thank you! I think that looks fantastic
Agreed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.