Catch Can Ordered....

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

SimonH
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Catch Can Ordered....

Post by SimonH » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:04 am

This could be a can of worms thread. Much has been talked of this problem with DFI engines, over many car forums, and i dont think much has been done about it be the manufacturers ?, though i may be wrong. I think one of the worst engines to suffer from this, was the V8 in the RS4.

Pablosammy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Pablosammy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:56 am

As mentioned, I imagine the reason it doesn't come as standard is due to the regular emptying it requires. It's not an install-and-forget solution.

BaV
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BaV » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:13 am

I've installed catch cans on some of my previous cars and they have always caught some kind of gunk over the months even on none DFI cars!

This is definitely a worth while mod in my opinion and it is something i will be doing in the near future (probably using a Saikoumichi can) so i look forward to seeing your install Marco!

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:17 am

marco_polo wrote:Or both! :D

Once the gunk is burnt on, I'm unsure how I'd blow it off again? Do you have any more info please BP? Genuinely interested, not trying to start a keyboard war! :beerchug:

My advice would be to change the engine oil more regularly, old oil is worse for it (as it will contain more petrol and water).

Gunk removal can be done by blasting with granulated walnut shells, v common on n54 engine and r56 mini forums

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.totalmini.com/forum/55-2006- ... e-bmw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BP

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:32 am

Apologies, crossed wires, I know all about the walnut shell blasting cure.

You seemed to be implying the oil burnt on to the inlet valves could be removed by 'blowing the cobwebs out'? Do you have any more info on that please Chap? I always prefer prevention over cure.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 am

Marco,

old school way, taking the car for a hearty thrash on a regular basis, as noted in my post, say 3rd gear and hold at 4.5k rpm for 15-20mins.

Perhaps do the above at the same time of periodic prod to ECU to ensure full boost target delivery ie 3 x 3rd gear runs from 1.5k to 7k.......

BP

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:09 am

How does that clean the neck of the inlet valves?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:13 am

helps reduce build up in the 1st place.

Trundling any car's engine habitually at low/middling rpms, then coke/gunk build up will occur much quicker ie <20k miles.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:21 am

Blind Pugh wrote:Trundling any car's engine habitually at low/middling rpms, then coke/gunk build up will occur much quicker ie <20k miles.
So if you own a Slush-box M-Lite, you'd avoid Eco / Comfort (where the car is usually run at very low rpm) ?

toc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by toc » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:33 am

From what I've been reading about pcv, low engine revs result in low manifold vacuum and low circulation through the crank case. Therefore less oil vapour traveling through the in-take, however this does result in higher amounts of water vapor being trapped in the crank case & oil.

Once the engine & oil warms up and higher revs are used the water is vented as steam but the increased blow-by from the piston rings will increase the amount of oil vapour being vented through the air in take.

Seems like "catch" 22 ;-)

If you only do short journeys you'll knacker your oil with water quicker and if you gun it you'll coat your valves with oil. Catch can seems like a very useful mod
F20 M135i / Estoril Blue / Manual / Pro-Nav

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 am

With a turbo-charged N55, how often is the inlet mainfold in a state of vacuum?

I don't have a turbo gauge, but assume the turbo isn't doing a lot until you demand some torque?

Creepy Coupe

Post by Creepy Coupe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:52 am

Where do you position it Marco?
Mazda 6 For now.
Previous.M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E93 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:06 pm

I think mine's going to go in the OSF corner.

BaV
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BaV » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 pm

marco_polo wrote:With a turbo-charged N55, how often is the inlet mainfold in a state of vacuum?

I don't have a turbo gauge, but assume the turbo isn't doing a lot until you demand some torque?
I assumed the same until i had the BMS intake fitted and you can hear the turbo working away.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:51 pm

It will always spool up, but that doesn't necessarily mean the inlet is pressurised. I'd be amazed if there isn't a vacuum when we're pootling about normally?

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”