Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X Models (Fx)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Z4 (Gx)

Votes: 1 1.0%

POLL - BMW M135i / M235i 8 Speed auto gear box whistle noise

22K views 137 replies 57 participants last post by  Dizeee 
#1 ·
If your car has suffered or is suffering from an auto gearbox whistling noise please post your situation here.

Another option added so could you re-vote please as it's lost the initial votes, sorry.

#2 ·
Pre LCI:
1. Factory fitted 'box: really noisy whistle in reverse, faint/moderate whistle in 2nd & 4th (replaced).
2. Replaced 'box: faint whistle in reverse, really noisy in 2nd!

LCI:
1. Factory fitted 'box: Very faint whistle in both reverse & 2nd - I won't be bothering to do anything unless it breaks or gets recalled. I will replace the car before warranty ends.

#4 ·
Have the noise - done nothing.
Same as copperman for me, happy to live with a bit of mechanical noise from a thing that has bits of metal meshing together.
Will log it with the dealer when I next see them, but until/if it gets significantly worse or explodes, I will keep the original.

#6 ·
Mine was awful noisy in reverse, far too loud to ignore and 2nd gear was developing quickly. Changed just before Christmas and now is completely silent.

2 customers I've visited in the last fortnight have had ZF's changed in their Range Rovers for the same thing so not a BMW specific problem.

#8 ·
Pre-LCI. Logged as abnormal noise during winter wheels changeover (within warranty period), but personally I'm not doing anything until a proper fix is in place. Actually provided the noise doesn't get worse and gearboxes don't start failing it is fine with me. Maybe driving an '84 TVR as my other car makes me immune to some issues!

#9 ·
Yep whistle in my 2015 LCI with 6k on the clock. Not reported and will leave it for the time being as haven't noticed any adverse effects apart from the noise itself which with the radio on can hardly be heard. If it gets worse I will take it to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Pre-LCI, very noisy box - sold car as out of warranty and didnt want to a) risk failure, or b) be stuck with a car no-one wanted in PX due to the issue.

#13 ·
copperman05 said:
When looking for it I can here the whistle but I'm certainly not 'suffering '.
Unless its excessive, it's pretty normal, gearboxes are noisy things, engines are noisy things...
I agree, I do have slight noise but going to wait until warranty nearing closure until I mention it to them.
I've also read somewhere if it does go pop out of warranty and you have stated to them your concerns prior in warranty BMW would sort it as its a known issue.

Personally I love the very subtle sound. It's like a turbo whistle... :)

#15 ·
Car back from dealer after brake cap QEP and I paid for MP BBK to be coded. To do this, dealer had to give the car the latest software update [FoC to save you asking]
G/box FW updated - the tech that worked on my car has a 2015 SAT M235i - I asked him how my g/box compares to his in terms of response and "noise" - he drove my car and said my car's g/box is "silent" by comparison to his and changes much slicker [new FW no doubt]

Other benefits:-
I drive integration I-step went from level B to level L - sharper graphics; EBT more stable and responsive [android and IoS] and pro nav seems quicker to respond/update.

#16 ·
Just got back from my dealer and they explained how things happen.

BMW are aware of the issue, but aren't telling anyone to do anything at the moment. They need more PUMA cases to escalate it. Apparently 5-10 is the amount they need. I'd really recommend people report it to BMW, just so they are aware of the scale of the issue. They don't read forums like this, and won't know how widespread the issue is. If only 5 cars actually report it, yet tens more on here are moaning about it or waiting for a fix, they don't know they and won't be aware. So please, for the sake of those who do want to fix it, report it if you can!

#17 ·
What your dealer is saying does not make sense.

From memory more that 5 guys here have had gearboxes replaced or rejected cars. Even our tame salesman is fully aware so ordered a manual M135i for himself. I also recently found out there is an issue with Jag XE's worldwide using the ZF8HP.

Anyway, that's my nice way of saying your dealer is bull****ting.

Just saying.

Paul

#18 ·
Paul CS is spot on, BMW are fully aware of the issue as are ZF. My dealer had a replacement box authorised for me in a few weeks and as I understand it any replacement box is fitted with a coated component to reduce noise. I decided to choose a different option and rejected the car. My new manual car arrives in May and I have a 530GT to use courtesy of BMW uk so I'd say they are taking it very seriously. Either find another dealer or go back to yours and try again.

#19 ·
520d said:
.... I decided to choose a different option and rejected the car. My new manual car arrives in May and I have a 530GT to use courtesy of BMW uk so I'd say they are taking it very seriously. Either find another dealer or go back to yours and try again.
Did you reject the car just for the gearbox whine, or were there other problems as well?

I though that the supplier had the right to be given the opportunity to fix the problem, however this is an interesting option and worth remembering. Mine is being inspected next week, and whilst they have been good so far in replacing a wrongly optioned car in the first place, I'm not sure if I'm going to get fobbed off.....

#20 ·
rumbletumble said:
520d said:
.... I decided to choose a different option and rejected the car. My new manual car arrives in May and I have a 530GT to use courtesy of BMW uk so I'd say they are taking it very seriously. Either find another dealer or go back to yours and try again.
Did you reject the car just for the gearbox whine, or were there other problems as well?

I though that the supplier had the right to be given the opportunity to fix the problem, however this is an interesting option and worth remembering. Mine is being inspected next week, and whilst they have been good so far in replacing a wrongly optioned car in the first place, I'm not sure if I'm going to get fobbed off.....
Gear box whistle only, if the car is less than 30 days old you can reject it and it's up to the seller to prove it was not at fault at the time of purchase. You also do NOT have to give them the chance to try and fix it. You can still reject up to six months old but it gets a little more difficult. If the car is on finance through BMW call them and ask for the quality standards dept, they are brilliant!!

#21 ·
520d said:
...as I understand it any replacement box is fitted with a coated component to reduce noise.
That's another thing that concerns me about getting it looked at.
This "coating" must be pretty tough stuff considering the forces that go through the gearbox - wonder how long it will last?
Hope it's not the same stuff they coat the exhaust tips with :rollseyes:

#22 ·
This is the update I've been told. Please don't flame me as I'm not at all mechanical.
Booked mine in last week to be seen today for an unrelated issue, but mentioned the gearbox. I've had a whistle in first and second at 2k rpm now for about 6 months - pre LCI Jan 2015 build - but it has been getting slightly worse since Xmas.
Master Technician was there waiting for me when I got to the dealers this morning and was keen to accompany me on a short drive so that he could hear for himself. He agreed that it was whistling in first and second and silent in third.
He then advised me that he was aware of the issue and in fact there are TWO issues out there. The first requires the "transmission to be replaced". For the second, the fix is still being worked on by BMW and ZF. The latest that he had heard was they are looking at changing the spec of the oil in the gearbox.
But basically he was saying it's best to report the matter to the dealer, they can run diagnostics on the gearbox to see which issue it is and then in turn escalate to BMW. By doing this it will force BMW to increase the resources available to find a solution to this.
Overall he was a very helpful guy.

#23 ·
andypandy428 said:
This is the update I've been told. Please don't flame me as I'm not at all mechanical.
Booked mine in last week to be seen today for an unrelated issue, but mentioned the gearbox. I've had a whistle in first and second at 2k rpm now for about 6 months - pre LCI Jan 2015 build - but it has been getting slightly worse since Xmas.
Master Technician was there waiting for me when I got to the dealers this morning and was keen to accompany me on a short drive so that he could hear for himself. He agreed that it was whistling in first and second and silent in third.
He then advised me that he was aware of the issue and in fact there are TWO issues out there. The first requires the "transmission to be replaced". For the second, the fix is still being worked on by BMW and ZF. The latest that he had heard was they are looking at changing the spec of the oil in the gearbox.
But basically he was saying it's best to report the matter to the dealer, they can run diagnostics on the gearbox to see which issue it is and then in turn escalate to BMW. By doing this it will force BMW to increase the resources available to find a solution to this.
Overall he was a very helpful guy.
Pretty much a similar story, except my guys didn't seem to know about replacements. I'm going to push them again.

#24 ·
Yeah I'd have to disagree about BMW needing more cases/not doing anything about it. They have escalated the issue to BMW technical to work along side ZF to sort this issue out once and for all (hopefully).

Unless your dealer meant they technically can't do anything just now because the fix is currently being worked on?

If it is a case of just an oil change to solve the issue then hopefully we will be getting informed soon :)

#25 ·
Yes sorry to clarify my understanding was that if a replacement is required, then he was saying this would be done as has happened on reported cases on here.

If the second issue, then yes they can't do anything at the moment as BMW and ZF are still working on the issue, but the more cases that are reported adds more weight on them to get their finger out to resolve.

At no stage did the Master Tech suggest that BMW and/or ZF were claiming they did not know about the issue. It's just the usual scenario with major corporates - the more noise that is made, the more likely an issue is going to be resolved.

#26 ·
Just a thought but the 340i uses a different gear box part number to the m135i, I think it will handle more torque. If BMW are bringing out a m140i and m240i maybe the other gear box will be fitted. This may be the fix as the new model is rumoured to be coming Sept 2016 so not too far away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.