Darkenedplace
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

lsd

Post by Darkenedplace » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:34 pm

I've had red cars in the past and had diffs converted to lsd

my question is how hard is it on the 140

is there a diff of another bmw we could use and prices

I've found no one mentions cost on here..

Sam_M
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: lsd

Post by Sam_M » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Birds do the Quaife ATB for £1666+VAT fitted

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:02 pm

BMW official (Drexler) LSD is around £2,400.

No other BMW diff fits as they re-engineered the diff + driveshafts on the F Series.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Liamkirkham

Post by Liamkirkham » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:20 pm

Anyone fitted either of these or would care to comment on which might be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MG 5dr Auto M140i, adaptive M chassis, Harmon Kardon, privacy glass, pro media pack, driver comfort pack, heated seats, model deletion

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:35 pm

I have the BMW Drexler (Clutch type) in mine, which is the warranty friendly option.

Not that BMW are likely to spot you've got a Quaife (Helical Gear type) installed inside your Pumpkin!

The Drexlers lock up faster, but the Quaifes have lower maintenance. Both work well, I'd be happy with either. They'll both save you a fortune in rear brakes, and obviously increase traction dramatically.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 am

MP, is the LSD all about traction, or about increasing predictability as well?

Do you happen to know whether the e-diff worked at all, or was mostly a gimmick?
Aussie M140i 5 door
Underbody brace - Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back

Aussie NZ M135i/M140i/M235i/M240i Owners Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:42 am

Jahjaman wrote:MP, is the LSD all about traction, or about increasing predictability as well?

Do you happen to know whether the e-diff worked at all, or was mostly a gimmick?
E-diff only works with TC fully off.

I have quaife LSD and IMHO it helps road manners as it allows being able put more power on earlier when using "slow-in, fast-out" on A & B roads.

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:07 am

Blind Pugh wrote:
E-diff only works with TC fully off.

I have quaife LSD and IMHO it helps road manners as it allows being able put more power on earlier when using "slow-in, fast-out" on A & B roads.
Thanks for insight with the LSD installed.

Yep, I drive with TC and DSC off usually. But I've never pushed it hard enough to break traction in the dry. So just wondering whether you ever sampled the E-diff before you got the LSD installed. And maybe thoughts on it?
Aussie M140i 5 door
Underbody brace - Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back

Aussie NZ M135i/M140i/M235i/M240i Owners Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:43 am

TBH, TC off on smoother tarmac at trackdays done before and after LSD, e-diff is OK but if pedalling hard it can fry yr rear brakes [as brakes are used independently L&R to reduce wheelspin] and if fronts are taking a pounding then guess what - DME cuts power so 2nd half of a session tends not to be as good as 1st half !! With QLSD, this is no longer an issue as QLSD works before e-diff cuts in so available pace is more consistent from start to end of say a 15-30min session.

On the road, with stock rear springs being quite firm, means rear can be quite skittish. This with TC off can be a challenge with bumpy A&B roads we have here in the UK. With QLSD, you able to apply more power sooner round bends as the car is able to push the car out of curves more progressively.

Sam_M
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Sam_M » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:48 am

Would you say that its not worth coding out the ELSD after fitting a quaife?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:51 am

My experience is very similar to BP's, the car turns better, and puts power down far better.

These cars really should have come with a proper LSD as standard (although they probably would have sold a lot less M3/M4 if they did).

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:53 am

Sam_M wrote:Would you say that its not worth coding out the ELSD after fitting a quaife?
The Quaife is still an open diff, albeit a very good TorSen. If you coded out the eDiff, and had one wheel in the air/on ice/etc, you could end up with no drive.

I doubt the Drexler would perform much better in those conditions (with eLSD coded off) as it's only a 30% locker.

I left mine coded on per BMW's press release, and they work very nicely in tandem. The electronics very rarely kick in, and my rear brakes still look like new.

Sam_M
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Sam_M » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:07 am

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:11 am

Sam_M wrote:Would you say that its not worth coding out the ELSD after fitting a quaife?
Sam,

No - as per Marco's comments above, my experience is that QLSD and E-diff can co-exist w/o issue as QLSD is active well before e-diff comes into play with TC off.

With ~ 630nm peak torque and ~545nm + from 2000 to 5000 rpm the QLSD keeps the rear well and truly in check. Whether its straight line/standing start or powering out of corners, the car just grips and goes on smooth or bumpy, wet or dry roads.

BP

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:35 am

los desaparecidos wrote:I think it's more than that Mark. With a LSD you can "feel" the car dig in finding grip. In so doing it increases confidence. It enhances the overall drving experience.
Agreed - the LSD at the rear compliments the M4 LCA's and TS I've fitted, to sharpen up the front end grip, feel and turn-in

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”