lsd

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

docwra
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: lsd

Post by docwra » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:06 pm

Jahjaman wrote:Thanks BP and MP for the feedback.

To add a bit more info, this thread/post seems to indicate that the e-diff is still active with an LSD installed.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719012

"This car was equipped with a mechanical LSD as well - so even with a mechanical LSD, the system still provides additional inputs."

It's probably safe to say that, if you have an LSD installed, you could consider the e-diff to be more like a "brake torque vectoring" system?
It is still active and its mor reminiscent of "interfering old auntie that doesnt like seeing peple having fun" than "brake vectoring system" :lol:

Absolutely no point having LSD without coding e-diff out, C0F_DIFFLOCK is the boy IIRC :)

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:47 pm

docwra wrote:Absolutely no point having LSD without coding e-diff out, C0F_DIFFLOCK is the boy IIRC :)
May be so for e-series and may be / possibly for F series with MPLSD if clutched LSD is active conflicts with e-diff in tighter turns when exiting hard in low gear.

Speaking from experience, OEM M135i e-diff being left active with QLSD ATB type diff doesn't pose any issues
F20 M135i EB AT with options - what a hoot !
Image Image

Foz01

Post by Foz01 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
Foz01 wrote:Seems crazy there are only the two options!
Mfactory is another option...
Ok, had great results with an MFactory diff in a Honda K20 Elise :)

roncee
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by roncee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi Foz, any further details on the M factory LSD you had in the Honda? Specifically any fitment issues etc?

Seems very reasonably priced for the BMW, maybe the cheapest way to an LSD in our cars.
I'm very tempted but anyone know an experienced garage who could fit this for the BMW?

Thanks

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:37 pm

F20 M135i EB AT with options - what a hoot !
Image Image

Foz01

Post by Foz01 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:46 pm

roncee wrote:Hi Foz, any further details on the M factory LSD you had in the Honda? Specifically any fitment issues etc?

Seems very reasonably priced for the BMW, maybe the cheapest way to an LSD in our cars.
I'm very tempted but anyone know an experienced garage who could fit this for the BMW?

Thanks

I used this guide, and only got stuck taking the main casing apart, I basically needed to simply twat it harder..

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to ... tallation/

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the product based on my experience, will go read up on the bmw option.

I actually bought my one after piggy backing on a CTR forum group buy, maybe another could be on the cards...

Foz01

Post by Foz01 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:01 pm

From what I understand the one diff requires machining out? That should not be a concern to any competent machine shop, I know of a coup,d from my local motorsport garage contacts, I would be buying a used M*35i/M*40i diff and sending that away to come back for a straight swap. Then you have an item that's worth a good return if you decide to go back to standard.

sonnyx

Post by sonnyx » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:34 pm

OP the car 100% needs a LSD if your driving it properly :)
Had my LSD now for a week and its transformed the car.
Range Rover Vogue v8 17 Matt black 22" wheels
Red Alfa

Slooby

Post by Slooby » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:57 pm

Foz01 wrote:From what I understand the one diff requires machining out? That should not be a concern to any competent machine shop, I know of a coup,d from my local motorsport garage contacts, I would be buying a used M*35i/M*40i diff and sending that away to come back for a straight swap. Then you have an item that's worth a good return if you decide to go back to standard.
The ring gear is welded to the differential and it's that that requires machining off to allow it to be fitted to the new diff.

Two weeks into ownership, so very much in the running in phase, of my M140i and I've noticed behaviour from the DSC that is not too disimlar to that of a plated diff when making tight low speed turns up hill. I'm not a great fan of plated diffs on road cars, prefering the behaviour of an ATB/Torsen for it's less agressive nature in precisely the situations I described above. That and the facts that it takes an age to properly set up a plated diff for your driving style and they do need a bit more attention during their life than an ATB/Torsen does.
2016 M140i 5 door Manual
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
1988 T25 1.6JX TD Camper
Projects: 1973 SIII 109" 2 1/4 Diesel, 1965 SIIA 88" 300Tdi Hybrid, 1968 MkII Mini 1000
Gone but not forgotten: E39 M5, 1998 Impreza 500 of each toy

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:45 am

The Quaife on its own is similar price £895 (+ VAT). It's the fitting that adds so much to the costs due the the above mentioned requirement to machine the crown wheel off the old diff and re-weld it to the new LSD innards rather than being bolt-on like some are, so I think most back street garages would struggle. Probably better looking for something more akin to a car race prep company or somewhere with machining facilities combined with a regular garage to do the spannering.

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/shop ... n5p&hwTvfc
roncee wrote:Hi Foz, any further details on the M factory LSD you had in the Honda? Specifically any fitment issues etc?

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:16 pm

Hey guys. Would really appreciate a couple of opinions.
Please forgive the fact that I'm quoting in AUD.

I've got quotes for both the Quaife and M Perf LSD:
- Quaife approx $4.5k fitted
- M Perf LSD $5.3k fitted.

The advantage of the Quaife is its maintenance free.
The M Perf is clutch driven and I'm not sure of the life of the diff?

Advantage of the M Perf is that it's a complete replacement unit and I get to keep the open diff.

Any thoughts or preferences?
Aussie M140i 5 door
Underbody brace - Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back

M135iSNO
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by M135iSNO » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:30 pm

For me personally, I chose the MPLSD because I can sell it when I sell the car and get at least half its value back (so is actually cheaper in the long ru)n. Another factor was that the warranty is preserved. It is true however that it requires periodic oil changes but I understand these can be done diy. I think I read ideally every 25,000 miles or so?? Shouldn't be expensive if you took it to your local indy.
Auto M135i LCI in Alpine White - Adaptive Suspension - Eibach Springs - M-Performance LSD

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks SNO.

The 25k miles is absolutely fine. Do you know if there's an overall life mileage on the LSD part?
Aussie M140i 5 door
Underbody brace - Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back

gavp
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by gavp » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:10 am

Jahjaman wrote:Thanks SNO.

The 25k miles is absolutely fine. Do you know if there's an overall life mileage on the LSD part?
Plenty of plated diffs in various models with big mileages on them, how many miles do you need?
2016 GS M135i - F21 Auto - here
2013 GS M135i - F21 Auto - Sold
E46 M3
KTM 950 Adventure
Aprilia RSV1000
Golf R

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:01 am

gavp wrote: Plenty of plated diffs in various models with big mileages on them, how many miles do you need?
Not many at all :)
Just sussing out the diff between a diff type that will theoeretically last forever vs one that won't lol. But it's fine for my usage. Thanks :)
Aussie M140i 5 door

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”