All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Rob.H
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

The rise of YouTube Aficionados?

Post by Rob.H » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Firstly,

I'm not here to flame those who go out and make YouTube videos as some of them are quite good and informative from a day to day user perspective.

But, is it just me or is there a growing theme of YouTube reviews of cars by owners or indeed non motoring journalists? I'm curious to know whether this is done purely out of passion for the car that they own, or cars generally being petrol heads or whether it's more that people are trying to make money from it?

A lot of the ones that I see seem to be of young 'rich kids' driving around in supercars giving reviews. Personally, I'd rather take on the views of people like Chris Harris/Evo/Autocar etc putting these cars through their paces and benchmarking them against the competition.

It's always good to see a variety of content, it just seems to be a very popular craze at the moment.

I wonder how much money the likes of Shmee150, MrJWW make out of these kinds of things, if anything at all? MrJWW lives locally and I must say for a lad who is in his late 20's i'm very envious of his collection.

Audi S1
Audi RS6
911 GT3
911 GT3 RS (Sponsored by BetSafe)
McLaren 675 LT
Ferrari F12.

See him driving them locally quite often - All amazing pieces of kit.
BMW M140i / 3 Door / Saphire Black / ZF Gearbox / JB4 / KW V2 / M4 LCA + TS

Thrash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: The rise of YouTube Aficionados?

Post by Thrash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:16 pm

They make a lot out of it, never heard of MrJWW and I don't like Shmee but look at the Supercars of London channel, as far as I know that guy started off filming supercars in London and now hes managed to buy one himself. KSI and his brother both drive round in Lambos too.

Until a proper channel/journo does a review of an M140i, im happy to watch any content by anyone :D
M140i // Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats

Jpick11
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jpick11 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Interesting question ;)

yes, i have recently started a youtube channel, sorry if it is me pestering you all that has prompted this thought process.

For me, it is done out of passion and also from the perspective of "why can't i do that" now don't get me wrong, i know that the likes of JWW and Shmee have the money and the cars anyway, but for me it has already prompted me to reach to people and try to get some drives/rides in some awesome cars that i hadn't really thought about before.

I don't know why it has taken me starting the channel to do this, but it i helping.

Money-wise... take a look at Social Blade, you can see estimations of what people are earning.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/shmee150

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel ... jsZ5JRPx5g

It is actually very hard to earn money on Youtube unless you are a pioneer or have something very different. put it this way, you have to earn £60 before Youtube will even pay out to you and in order to hit £60 you need about 200,000 to 500,000 views on your channel... which is no small feat.

For me, the idea that i could ever achieve those sorts of numbers is crazy, now of course i would love to make some money doing what i love... but the reality is, i could spend 5 years pretty solidly doing videos and end up £100 up or so if i do very well.

Hope that makes sense :)

James
M135i Arrived Mid June.... and loving it!

Mineral Grey, Red Leather, Heated seats, Manual, 5 door

Check out my Youtube Channel here :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5F7pO ... wkk3QLqibQ

GaryB1972
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

The rise of YouTube Aficionados?

Post by GaryB1972 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 pm

I try not to watch to many but I like Schmee150 and our very own Joe. And to echo the above it's born out of a passion for cars, watching people collect new cars can only be liked by petrol heads

M140i Ordered
Last edited by GaryB1972 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob.H
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Rob.H » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Jpick11 wrote:Interesting question ;)

yes, i have recently started a youtube channel, sorry if it is me pestering you all that has prompted this thought process.

For me, it is done out of passion and also from the perspective of "why can't i do that" now don't get me wrong, i know that the likes of JWW and Shmee have the money and the cars anyway, but for me it has already prompted me to reach to people and try to get some drives/rides in some awesome cars that i hadn't really thought about before.

I don't know why it has taken me starting the channel to do this, but it i helping.

Money-wise... take a look at Social Blade, you can see estimations of what people are earning.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/shmee150

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel ... jsZ5JRPx5g

It is actually very hard to earn money on Youtube unless you are a pioneer or have something very different. put it this way, you have to earn £60 before Youtube will even pay out to you and in order to hit £60 you need about 200,000 to 500,000 views on your channel... which is no small feat.

For me, the idea that i could ever achieve those sorts of numbers is crazy, now of course i would love to make some money doing what i love... but the reality is, i could spend 5 years pretty solidly doing videos and end up £100 up or so if i do very well.

Hope that makes sense :)

James
Don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking those who do as I wouldn't have the confidence to do it myself. And i'm a firm believer of not mocking some doing something you wouldn't or couldn't do yourself, whatever that maybe.

It does make a lot of sense and thanks for the insight into the revenues created.

The watching of other peoples videos is what convinced me to go ahead with the JB4 on my car - Things like that you wouldn't get from normal journalists .
BMW M140i / 3 Door / Saphire Black / ZF Gearbox / JB4 / KW V2 / M4 LCA + TS

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Kerr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:38 pm

There's too many at it now. They've missed the boat for the guys that got in early and got huge followings. Impressive how well some people have done.

It's not easy to present these videos at all. Some guys are actually decent at presenting, but most aren't very good at all. I find that too many take 30 minutes to cover what should have taken 3 minutes. They don't put their point across well and don't really have the knowledge to do it either.

When you see how well some people have done I can see why people are desperate to try.

R99
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by R99 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I've always wondered how people would make a 'living' out of doing this.

I think its pretty obvious that someone like Shmee has either a lot of personal wealth, or certainly a family with wealth.

I do watch the odd video he does, but he comes across as a total c**k and I find it hard to engage with his style!

Chris Harris on the other hand, I watch everything he makes - really gets it right IMO!
2010 E91 325d M Sport Touring
M3 Mirrors | BMWP Kidneys | Individual Piano Black Trim | F3x 4 pot Brembo's & M Performance 370mm discs | Bilstein B8's & H&R Sport Springs | Individual Audio | 19" BBS CX-R's | Conti SportContact 6

KR15
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by KR15 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 pm

JWW comes from a very rich family so was able to start out with some exotic metal to build up a following quickly. I don't think the YT income will be much compared to the coin he already has but it's opened up opportunities to drive ridiculous cars (Zonda on a plane for example).

Shmee made a lot of money in the city before YouTube again meaning he was able to buy some tasty metal to start with. If you read the 105 page (currently) thread on piston heads he's quite open about it all but says he makes more from other elements of his business than YouTube.

Fair play to SOL for starting from nothing but he's only making enough to fund the finance payments on an M3 and AMG but he still lives with his mum.

Seen Through Glass is similar to SOL but has actually bothered to put some effort in to his production etc but again I don't think he's earning massive amounts. Although enough to finance a 540S isn't anything to be sniffed at!

Youtube doesn't pay quite as much as some people think it does unless you're getting a hell of a lot of views and subscribers. I think Joe Achilles said he made about £200 from YT revenue last year.
Last edited by KR15 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current - BMW M140i, BCS Powervalve Cat Back :twisted:
Prev - Focus ST-3 Mk3.5 :D

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:54 pm

How much does Youtube pay? How does it work?

I've noticed recently when watching a couple of longer videos there is now occasionally adverts during the video.

Jpick11
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jpick11 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Agree with what you guys are saying above, looking back at what i wrote and thinking.

for me, in reality it is actually mostly a hobby based on something i enjoy, a little like someone who learns the guitar, playing the guitar on youtube or something... you know it's not a career but you have fun doing it and if some people like what you are doing then fair enough.

If it also allows me the chance to make friends in a similar community and get to go in some awesome cars/take some journey i wouldn't have otherwise (Joe is case and point being featured in Shmee's videos and driving his porsche and Ferrari ) then that would be awesome :)

Check out my Youtube Channel here :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5F7pO ... wkk3QLqibQ

Thrash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Thrash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Kerr wrote:How much does Youtube pay? How does it work?

I've noticed recently when watching a couple of longer videos there is now occasionally adverts during the video.
Pretty sure you just get a share of the income YouTube gets from said adverts. I have started to notice ads during the videos too, along with at the beginning, which seem to be getting longer and can't be skipped. I'm assuming the user has a choice in whether to have the short, long and during ads though.

I think some people use it as their sole source of income and as has been said, use it to finance very nice motors which is all well and good until your views start to diminish and suddenly you aren't making that much.
M140i // Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats

Jpick11
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jpick11 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Kerr wrote:How much does Youtube pay? How does it work?

Yes, it's based on adverts

as i mentioned in my first post, you have to earn £60 before they give you anything. but i think the estimate is that you can earn something like £1.50 to £2.00 per 1,000 advertised views, which seems to be 1 in 5 or so of normal views (i think)

so to make it simpler, youtube says that at this point i have around 1,200 views and i have "earned" $0.65... so maybe 50p... so i guess i need to get to around 150,000 to 200,000 views before i can even receive a penny. i don't honestly see that happening unless i were to find a niche, which is pretty impossible these days.

James

YaoNg
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by YaoNg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Isn't Schmee also Tim Burton aka his family founded the original Burton clothing brand? I'm sure this all helped.

A lot of YouTube fame and Instagram fame have wealth behind them but they also do a good job of what they do. Whether we like them or not is a different thing but considering how many YouTubers and big Instagram accounts are out there they must be doing something right as they are popular for a reason and the videos are well produced - they're clearly putting a lot of work into it.

Personally, I don't like Schmee and don't mind STG and our Joe. I prefer watching gaming videos, snowboarding, and food stuff if I'm honest else I'll end up trying to spend more money than I have on nice cars.

re: money - Most need a full time job for a long time before YT can become their main income.
Sapphire black M235i - Dec 2014 - Manual - MPE - current

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Compactpete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:20 pm

I only recently got into watching these type of you tube videos.

It started really with Joe's very informative M135i videos, then by accident I clicked on a few of Shmee's. I found him quite irritating at first but after a while realised he is actually incredibly good at what he does, he seem's to be able to flaunt his £ but be quite down to earth too.

Personally I don't think you can have too many and I admire Blowsy and Jpick for giving it a go, I hope it goes well for them.
Now - E92 M3 DCT Comp Pack :D

Gone - M135i / May 2016 / 3 door / manual / alpine white / coral leather / sun protection glass /adaptive suspension / Harmon Kardon / runflats :lol:

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Compactpete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:20 pm

YaoNg wrote:Isn't Schmee also Tim Burton aka his family founded the original Burton clothing brand? I'm sure this all helped.
Reasonably sure that was proven to be a myth.
Now - E92 M3 DCT Comp Pack :D

Gone - M135i / May 2016 / 3 door / manual / alpine white / coral leather / sun protection glass /adaptive suspension / Harmon Kardon / runflats :lol:

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”