All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

YaoNg
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: The rise of YouTube Aficionados?

Post by YaoNg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Compactpete wrote:
YaoNg wrote:Isn't Schmee also Tim Burton aka his family founded the original Burton clothing brand? I'm sure this all helped.
Reasonably sure that was proven to be a myth.
Was it? I don't follow his life enough to know that, but interesting to know if so.
Sapphire black M235i - Dec 2014 - Manual - MPE - current

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Compactpete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:33 pm

YaoNg wrote:
Compactpete wrote:
YaoNg wrote:Isn't Schmee also Tim Burton aka his family founded the original Burton clothing brand? I'm sure this all helped.
Reasonably sure that was proven to be a myth.
Was it? I don't follow his life enough to know that, but interesting to know if so.
I don't follow his life either lol, but remember someone else mentioning it and it was not true.
Now - E92 M3 DCT Comp Pack :D

Gone - M135i / May 2016 / 3 door / manual / alpine white / coral leather / sun protection glass /adaptive suspension / Harmon Kardon / runflats :lol:

GaryB1972
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GaryB1972 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 pm

I like Schmee for the way he presents and also his vast knowledge in cars. Some of the others line JWW come across as just "rich kids" having fun

M140i Ordered

Blowsy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Blowsy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:12 pm

Interesting thread this, here's my two cents (apologies for the length of this post)...

I started my YouTube channel for the following reasons:

- I was frustrated by the lack of MX40i YouTube content that was available while I was waiting for my M140i to arrive. This had a lot to do with the fact that it was a new car because there's a bit more on there now.
- I documented my collection video principally to provide the people that were/are still waiting for their cars with some content to help pass the time
- I am a keen photographer but had no experience of video and wanted to teach myself how to shoot and edit videos
- I feel that over time I can improve my skills to the point where other people might enjoy the content

I did not start a YouTube channel:

- To make money. I haven't even bothered enabling ads on my channel because there's no point at this stage.

As JPick has already articulated, you need a huge number of subscribers, original content and a lot of time on your hands to film and edit videos of sufficient originality and quality regularly enough to make an impact.

What is evident to me is that it helps massively to have some money behind you to get things going. Take Archie Hamilton, for example, he has accumulate around £50k subscribers in about 9 months from a standing start which is terrifyingly quick. That said, it is clear that he is from a privileged background:

- He's a racing driver in the International GT Open (to get a drive in almost any form of motorsport these days requires a decent amount of cash)
- He appears to have a full time cameraman (or an incredibly generous mate with a camera)
- He has seemingly unlimited access to an airfield which makes filming fast driving and fun content a lot easier
- His family runs a business that sells exotic car... and he gets to drive them

The point that I am making is that the average lay person like me (with a demanding job and a mortgage to pay) has next to no chance of making this anything other than a hobby without a serious competitive advantage: Content. Archie actually makes fun videos and I quite like his style (although he does look like Zoolander!) :D

Joe is doing a fantastic job, his passion for and knowledge of cars is clear, his production is getting better and better and he has an excellent chance of picking up subscribers via his relationship with Shmee and I really hope 2017 can be a real breakthrough year for him in terms of subscribers. He comes across as a lovely bloke, who I'd love to have a pint with.

I've started filming my "CarSwap" series of videos in a vague attempt to do something a little different - letting real owners of fun cars drive mine in return for for a go in theirs. It may or may not catch on but I'm not serious about making a career out of it because I can't compete with the big boys for time and resource.

At the end of the day we all love cars and some of us choose to document this on film for the enjoyment of others.
F20 M140i | MG | Oyster | Auto | Adaptive | Pro Nav | HK | 3DD Roof Spoiler | Lightweight Splitter | MP Sills | Diffuser wrapped | Dyno'd @ 354.6 bhp

Jpick11
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jpick11 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Well said Blowsy :)

Coming up with an original and interesting idea is 100% the hardest part.
M135i Arrived Mid June.... and loving it!

Mineral Grey, Red Leather, Heated seats, Manual, 5 door

Check out my Youtube Channel here :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5F7pO ... wkk3QLqibQ

Deadlysub
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Deadlysub » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:18 pm

I watch MrJWW's videos and have enjoyed seen through glasses test drive videos before Christmas. I like the fact that you can get so much car content now. Schmee can be quite annoying but his car collection is immense.
M135i auto, 5dr, AW, comfort pack, business nav, advanced audio, heated seats, black panel.
Gone- Focus ST, VX220 2.2, EP3 Civic Type R, Fiesta ST

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Thrash wrote:
Kerr wrote:How much does Youtube pay? How does it work?

I've noticed recently when watching a couple of longer videos there is now occasionally adverts during the video.
Pretty sure you just get a share of the income YouTube gets from said adverts. I have started to notice ads during the videos too, along with at the beginning, which seem to be getting longer and can't be skipped. .
under most circumstances (certainty, when navigating from the you tube page) you can skip the ads by clicking on the video you want, do an immediate backpage navigation on the toolbar, followed by an immediate forward page navigation. Clunky, but becomes second nature.
F22 M240i 8AT

Steve C
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Steve C » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:09 am

I'm behind the curve on this one. I've watched most of Joe's vids and love his down-to-earth, candid style. Blowsy - I think your car swap idea is great.

I'm now off to spend the day surfing YT to see what I've been missing....
Daily: F20 M140i
Track: NC MX5

cdiv

Post by cdiv » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:53 am

deleted
Last edited by cdiv on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rob180bhp
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: RE: Re: The rise of YouTube Aficionados?

Post by rob180bhp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:55 am

cdiv wrote:I think it's a fantastic time for car nuts on youtube at the moment. Sure it's not as polished as broadcast TV but the breadth and depth of what's out there is fantastic, fair play to anyone giving it a go. I would say Joe's videos are a big part of the reason I was drawn to the M135i/M140i. There simply aren't any M140i demonstrators here in Ireland (it's all 116d Ms :( ) as so few of them are sold due to the tax regime here. The only way I could get a feel for the car was through Youtube videos.

And if any of you haven't checked out some of the more 'professional' channels like Roadkill or Mighty Car Mods yet, you should, pronto! Roadkill in particular is just fantastic
I watch YouTube instead of top gear / and grand tour
E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

GaryB1972
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

The rise of YouTube Aficionados?

Post by GaryB1972 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:57 am

Joe for me to was the reason I have one on order and not the Focus RS, AUDI S3 or Golf R. I was thinking of stretching to the RS3 but the reviews put me off

M140i Ordered

KR15
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: RE: The rise of YouTube Aficionados?

Post by KR15 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:07 am

GaryB1972 wrote:Joe for me to was the reason I have one on order and not the Focus RS, AUDI S3 or Golf R. I was thinking of stretching to the RS3 but the reviews put me off

M140i Ordered
Then don't watch Joe's latest review of the RS3
Current - BMW M140i, BCS Powervalve Cat Back :twisted:
Prev - Focus ST-3 Mk3.5 :D

Link
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Link » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:07 am

As someone else said, people like JWW def don't do YT for the money, he's a total rich kid who's family own a underwear company (their niche product is swimwear which alows you to get a suntan whilst wearing it) haha. Anyway, he was a rich kid before, bored sitting at home with his supercars, now he does YT for the doors it opens. He gets to go on car launches, gets access to test drives etc etc. He won't be making any cash of note from YT, same for Shmee, it the doors YT opens that they like. JWW comes across as a rich kid, he even says his 'girlfriend' drives the S1 he bought. Can't say I like his approach much. Shmee is always enthusiastic, which is good. Not sure how he made his cash, he's always coy about exact details, says he has other businesses but never plugs or mentions them on his channel which would be a golden opportunity ?. Maybe it is family money, he seems to have piles of it and no shortage of time to make videos.

ChrisOllie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChrisOllie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:14 am

Agreed on all of the above
I have found myself watching some Shmee videos for the cars that are on them but I don't really like watching him. His accent / manner annoys me somehow but I'm sure he's a nice enough guy. Clearly from money though. Fair play to him for running a collection of cars etc etc
SOL - used to watch his stuff, his lack of actual knowledge about cars got annoying
Seen Through Glass - made a name for himself purely because he had a 4C it seems IMO, I watched some of his vids when he had the 4C but when he sold it there's been no point in watching. Now he has a 540C somehow lol. Again fair play though for managing that.

Re the point of YT'ers vs Autocar and the like, tbh what's the actual difference??
Motoring journalists are just people with (probably) english lit degrees or something. All they are doing is expressing an opinion, one which is usually tainted by sponsorship money I'd guess! :D . They might have had access to more cars physically, therefore can compare, but their ability to compare might not be any better than someone off the street. You get the odd ones that know their stuff though.
Some YT'ers might be biased if it's their actual car, not all obv, but at the end of the day if your researching to buy a car, the more information you can get access to to help your decision the better.
Chris Harris used to do the best vids IMO
Joe's stuff is good, I enjoy watching that
M135 Manual / Previously Alfa 159 Ti

YaoNg
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by YaoNg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 am

Schmee does a great job of providing lots of interesting content. I just don't like him as I find him a little too confident and almost dismissive of others - lets be honest about it, if you're into cars you're unlikely to have heard of him. I should also point out that I'm slightly biased as well because I know someone that had a bad experience business wise with him. Either way, he does what he does very well.

STG seems a little more humble and he has been honest about how he's managing his finance which even if he has a money in his family he doesn't seem to be throwing it around. He's admitted his limits and how he's stretched himself but I find him a little more interesting.

I just stumbled across a guy called Gonth on YouTube who has purchased a number of expensive cars - he's a FIFA gamer and YouTuber - anyone else seen him?

The fact that people are making money fro YouTube is a good thing but it's amazing how diverse the content is and how many people are getting creative and in fact, learning video editing is really interesting.
Last edited by YaoNg on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sapphire black M235i - Dec 2014 - Manual - MPE - current

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”