Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

Scottland
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Postby Scottland » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm about to order an M140i, I've got a quote from TRL already which I'm happy with - I just can't make up my mind on the Adaptive Suspension or not.

Where does the passive sit in relation to the adaptive? i.e. is the Passive on the firmer side or in the middle? Is it worth the extra?

Roads around me are :censored:, so will the comfort setting save my spine?

Jpick11
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Postby Jpick11 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi There and welcome to the forum :)

My 2 Cents is "Nay"... I have the non-adaptive suspension and i'm very happy with the ride of my car. The roads around Reading are absolutely shocking and i regularly drive in town, country roads and the Motorway and no complaints at all from me on the ride comfort, same can be said when pushing on a bit, i don't find it wallowy.

IMO it's a really good balance, as a measure, my other half has an Alfa Mito (standard spec) and to me the suspension is more crashy and firm in her car than mine, so take that as you will..

This is a Biased opinion as i actually haven't driven a car with adaptive (yet) so there are much better qualified to help you out :)

This is one of the questions i was going to talk about in my next Youtube video also.
M135i Arrived Mid June.... and loving it!

Mineral Grey, Red Leather, Heated seats, Manual, 5 door

Check out my Youtube Channel here :) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5F7pO2_1LiVRwkk3QLqibQ

sonnyx
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Postby sonnyx » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Scottland wrote:I'm about to order an M140i, I've got a quote from TRL already which I'm happy with - I just can't make up my mind on the Adaptive Suspension or not.

Where does the passive sit in relation to the adaptive? i.e. is the Passive on the firmer side or in the middle? Is it worth the extra?

Roads around me are :censored:, so will the comfort setting save my spine?

Adaptive is brilliant, worth every penny.
M2 - AW Man
M140i AW Auto 5dr All options, LSD
Lancia EVO2 Red Edizione

Invisiblename
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby Invisiblename » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Yay - adaptive on my Z4 is fantastic & was a no brainier when I spec'd my 140
M140i Mineral Grey / Corel Red, auto, Adaptive Suspension, Pro Media, heated seats & wheel, Sunroof, reverse camera, assisted park (now THAT''S scary!), Harman Kardon, CarPlay
Previous E89 Z4 2.8i M sport

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Compactpete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Yay, it would be the first option I ticked if speccing again.
Now - E92 M3 DCT Comp Pack :D

Gone - M135i / May 2016 / 3 door / manual / alpine white / coral leather / sun protection glass /adaptive suspension / Harmon Kardon / runflats :lol:

marco_polo

Postby marco_polo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Yes, I've spec'd it twice and would again.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - 245/35 Goodyear Asym 3's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Compactpete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:23 pm

To answer your question, passive is nearer to sport than comfort I would say.

Gone - M135i / May 2016 / 3 door / manual / alpine white / coral leather / sun protection glass /adaptive suspension / Harmon Kardon / runflats :lol:

GaryB1972
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby GaryB1972 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Nay from me. I've taken three out now two without one with and if don't feel the need for adaptive

M140i Ordered

telboy5
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby telboy5 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:24 pm

It a yes from me. Had both and find the adaptive a good compromise on the rubbish road we have. Comfort is just the right balance to soak up the bumps and sport has a good blend of firmness should you want to press on.

Passive is good, don't get me wrong, however it's more firm weighted than comfort set so if funds allow and you live in an area where roads are rubbish like you mention, I would be putting it on the spec sheet. I think at just under £600 it's a good price too.

Thrash
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby Thrash » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 pm

I didn't bother, I'm used to the bad ride in my A Class which is notorious for being too hard, its the AMG Sport trim so big rims, low and hard suspension and you feel every tiny bump in the road. From the test drive it didn't seem as bad so for me the passive was already an upgrade in comfort!
Ordered: M140i // Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats

Paul CS
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Paul CS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Specified it for the 3rd time and would do again.

P
M140i GS

Scottland
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby Scottland » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks for the views all, for what it's worth I'm coming from a 2015 Focus ST which I think is fine.

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby moulin12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Compactpete wrote:To answer your question, passive is nearer to sport than comfort I would say.

It is, but (as has been discussed in other threads) it's not simply a case of there being three set-ups between the two cars i.e. adaptive comfort -> passive -> adaptive sport; the adaptive suspension adjusts for road surfaces and travel within mode. Even in comfort, you don't get the damper crashing that you get on the passives.

Most people look to cut their cloth when choosing options, but adaptive suspension @ 450 quid after discounts is worth every penny imo.
F22 M240i 8AT

OrtonM135i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby OrtonM135i » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:27 pm

What hasn't been mentioned regardless of ride and comfort is the fact the active dampers are always working regardless of driving mode. The active dampers are constantly adjusting to suit the road conditions and therefore improve the handling and grip as they ensure the tyres are kept in contact with the road more than the standard damper.

I've driven 2 without adaptive (an M135 and a 140) and 3 with it spec'd and noticed the difference immediately hence why I went for adaptive on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M135i Estoril Blue, Auto, Adaptive Suspension, Cruise Control, Comfort Pack, Adaptive Headlights, DAB Radio, Heated Seats, F&R Parking Sensors, BMW professional sound system

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Compactpete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Remember it also gives you the ability to configure, throttle, steering and suspension together or independently which you can't do on passive.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”