Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

User avatar
GaryB1972
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 883
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by GaryB1972 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Scottland wrote:Thanks for the views all, for what it's worth I'm coming from a 2015 Focus ST which I think is fine.
Mines a 2014 ST3 and the normal suspension on the 140 feels much smoother


M140i Ordered

User avatar
moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by moulin12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:39 pm

OrtonM135i wrote:What hasn't been mentioned regardless of ride and comfort is the fact the active dampers are always working regardless of driving mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It hasn't? :-)
F22 M240i 8AT

User avatar
Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by Compactpete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 pm

The only thing with adaptive is that quite a few (me included) get the infamous knocking over speed humps. Can be cured by software apparently but I haven't asked yet.
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

User avatar
Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by Compactpete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:41 pm

moulin12 wrote:
OrtonM135i wrote:What hasn't been mentioned regardless of ride and comfort is the fact the active dampers are always working regardless of driving mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It hasn't? :-)
Haha, yes you did say in the post above :D
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

User avatar
OrtonM135i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by OrtonM135i » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:42 pm

moulin12 wrote:
OrtonM135i wrote:What hasn't been mentioned regardless of ride and comfort is the fact the active dampers are always working regardless of driving mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It hasn't? :-)
Haha I stand corrected! think I started writing as you posted


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 M140i auto
2013 M135i auto
2010 Mini JCW
2010 123D Msport
2007 Porsche Cayman S
2011 135i Coupe DCT
2007 Mini Cooper S

Scottland
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by Scottland » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Compactpete wrote:Remember it also gives you the ability to configure, throttle, steering and suspension together or independently which you can't do on passive.

Oh really, that sounds better then - more to fiddle with. I'd assumed you could do that regardless of adaptive suspension.

User avatar
Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by Compactpete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Scottland wrote:
Compactpete wrote:Remember it also gives you the ability to configure, throttle, steering and suspension together or independently which you can't do on passive.

Oh really, that sounds better then - more to fiddle with. I'd assumed you could do that regardless of adaptive suspension.
No, if I remember it's sport throttle and heavy steering in sport mode or neither in comfort.
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

User avatar
moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1224
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by moulin12 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:48 pm

Compactpete wrote:The only thing with adaptive is that quite a few (me included) get the infamous knocking over speed humps. Can be cured by software apparently but I haven't asked yet.
Is this just on the 135/140? Haven't noticed it on the F22 (but then I'm pretty slow over the bumps!)
F22 M240i 8AT

User avatar
Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by Compactpete » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:54 pm

moulin12 wrote:
Compactpete wrote:The only thing with adaptive is that quite a few (me included) get the infamous knocking over speed humps. Can be cured by software apparently but I haven't asked yet.
Is this just on the 135/140? Haven't noticed it on the F22 (but then I'm pretty slow over the bumps!)
Its been present on the M135i for a few years but BMW found a cure with a software upgrade. Not heard anyone complain on a 2 series though? But of course not every car does it.

Surprised people still have the problem on M140i's too, I can only assume the software fix is for complaints only rather than an across the board upgrade.
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

User avatar
SkyJawa
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:52 pm
Location: Hampshire

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by SkyJawa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:56 pm

I went for adaptive over paint. Must have for me. It's great.

User avatar
OrtonM135i
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by OrtonM135i » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Compactpete wrote:
moulin12 wrote:
Compactpete wrote:The only thing with adaptive is that quite a few (me included) get the infamous knocking over speed humps. Can be cured by software apparently but I haven't asked yet.
Is this just on the 135/140? Haven't noticed it on the F22 (but then I'm pretty slow over the bumps!)
Its been present on the M135i for a few years but BMW found a cure with a software upgrade. Not heard anyone complain on a 2 series though? But of course not every car does it.

Surprised people still have the problem on M140i's too, I can only assume the software fix is for complaints only rather than an across the board upgrade.
Out of interest my local dealers to Northamptonshire - Wollaston, and Lancaster BMW both seem very confused and can't tell me if the damper software update even exists to be able to update the software on mine

Which dealership updated your software and did you have any info I could pass on to my dealer? just to help them lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 M140i auto
2013 M135i auto
2010 Mini JCW
2010 123D Msport
2007 Porsche Cayman S
2011 135i Coupe DCT
2007 Mini Cooper S

daboss1975
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:20 pm

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by daboss1975 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Scottland wrote:
Compactpete wrote:Remember it also gives you the ability to configure, throttle, steering and suspension together or independently which you can't do on passive.

Oh really, that sounds better then - more to fiddle with. I'd assumed you could do that regardless of adaptive suspension.
Its essential in my view - I came from a Focus ST and when I test drove a non adaptive M135i the first thing I noticed was how harsh the ride felt - it almost put me off. Given how much your already spending its a no brainer for an extra £515 less discount

Tubes
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:34 am

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by Tubes » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:39 pm

I have it. Not driven one without.

The difference not as noticeable as it was with EDC on my e92 M3 and the ride isn't as good but think it would be pretty bouncy and harsh (even more so with RFTs) without having the dampers on it. For the additional monthly charge of a couple of pints it's worth it.

ClaretFozzy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by ClaretFozzy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:07 pm

No from me, even though it does represent good VFM.

The ride on passive dampers is far less crashy than my previous Focus ST and Volvo C30, so I'm happy as it is.
2016 F21 /// M135i - Estoril Blue, Coral Red, 8AT, Chrome Line, Driver Comfort Pack, Sun Protection Glass, Heated Seats, Harman Kardon

2016 F22 /// M235i - Mineral White, Coral Red, 8AT, Shadow Line, Sun Protection Glass, Heated Seats

Begall
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 6:56 am

Re: Adaptive Suspension Yay or Nay?

Post by Begall » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 pm

My previous two cars to the 240 (which is passive) were an MG ZR and a Fiesta ST. The ST rode better than the MG and the 240 rode better than the ST, so I'm happy without the option. I think the answer really depends on what you're used to - if it's going to be an improvement regardless then you might get just as much happiness from the car without spending the extra.

The other two things to keep in mind are that if you end up hating the sport steering (as I do - all it does is make it pointlessly heavy, which I think is mainly just intended to slow down steering input in combination with sport throttle mapping) then you can't turn it off without also forcing the suspension to comfort mode. The other being that it's yet another setting in the car to play with and end up with the feeling that you're in the wrong mode at any time.

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”