Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

MrTurner
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Fitting m140 mpe

Post by MrTurner » Mon May 22, 2017 7:08 am

and79 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:25 pm
MrTurner wrote:So an aftermarket back box replacement will do a similar job and by pass the valve?

When is the valve open as standard?
Yes, there a few to choose from. Other Exhaust will vary in sound though. But it's all subjective. Do a bit of research and go for the sound/price you prefer.

Mine was closed on startup. Open when sport is selected or WOT.
It is subjective but the noise I need to hear is from the drivers seat! On my XFR outside it sounded fantastic, inside was too quiet. An aftermarket box was too much so ended up taking the valves out and running the standard box like the XFR-S has. As the M140 has a valve controlled by sport mode, I'd probably be keen to keep it.

markymark34
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by markymark34 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:49 am

stetheo wrote:
ollyh wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 9:15 pm
Craigamonster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 pm
By way of update, I am happy with the end results. I took about 10mm from the tips and fine tuned the fit with a file. The result is close to the pics above and in my opinion, looks more subtle than what I had before.Image
Looks spot on! Did you find a way to cut them in situ or did you remove it all?
This looks much better IMO. I have been holding back on the MPE so far as I really don't like the 'wheelbarrow' look.

I'll be fitting the MPE myself when it comes to it, so glad I can fettle with the tips to make it much more subtle. I will probably just stick with chrome tips too, not sure if that makes it any easier. I was contemplating to see if I could use the existing tips from the stock exhaust - does anyone know if that would be possible?
I'm told it is possibly but it's a tight fit. The originals are spring loaded.
m140i on order

stetheo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by stetheo » Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am

markymark34 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:49 am
stetheo wrote:
ollyh wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 9:15 pm

This looks much better IMO. I have been holding back on the MPE so far as I really don't like the 'wheelbarrow' look.

I'll be fitting the MPE myself when it comes to it, so glad I can fettle with the tips to make it much more subtle. I will probably just stick with chrome tips too, not sure if that makes it any easier. I was contemplating to see if I could use the existing tips from the stock exhaust - does anyone know if that would be possible?
I'm told it is possibly but it's a tight fit. The originals are spring loaded.
Ok thank you - chef something I am going to look at then
M140i 3dr Auto Mineral Grey with lots of extras!

YouTube - www.youtube.com/stsupercars

andydavy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andydavy » Mon May 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Can you tells us exactly what you did please!!

Craigamonster

Post by Craigamonster » Mon May 22, 2017 7:22 pm

ollyh wrote:
Craigamonster wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 pm
By way of update, I am happy with the end results. I took about 10mm from the tips and fine tuned the fit with a file. The result is close to the pics above and in my opinion, looks more subtle than what I had before.Image
I didn't remove completely, but slackened the joint bolt and pulled the backbox forward (someone previously suggested on this thread).

chamberslad

Post by chamberslad » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Sorry to come back on such an old thread - are you saying you just loosened the clamp and pulled the exhaust in and retightened the clamp?

Did you use a ramp?

Cheers,

maniac886
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by maniac886 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Can anyone recommend a dealership in the North West to fit the MPE exhaust without the wheelbarrow effect or am I best just getting Cotswold BMW (forum sponsors) to fit it for me?
Gone:M135i
Current:M140i Shadow Edition 3Dr Auto EB,Black Dakota Interior,Media Pack,Exterior folding Mirrors,Heated Seats,PDC (Front + Rear), Adaptive suspension,Apple Carplay,Reverse Camera,Lumbar Support,Speed Limit Display & Park Assist.

markymark34
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by markymark34 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 pm

maniac886 wrote:Can anyone recommend a dealership in the North West to fit the MPE exhaust without the wheelbarrow effect or am I best just getting Cotswold BMW (forum sponsors) to fit it for me?
Just get a local exhaust place to do it. Will save you a fortune.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

m140i on order

maniac886
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by maniac886 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:31 pm

markymark34 wrote:
maniac886 wrote:Can anyone recommend a dealership in the North West to fit the MPE exhaust without the wheelbarrow effect or am I best just getting Cotswold BMW (forum sponsors) to fit it for me?
Just get a local exhaust place to do it. Will save you a fortune.

Unfortunately it has to be a dealership - this is what has been requested by my insurance underwriters plus if there are any issues I can take it back to a dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone:M135i
Current:M140i Shadow Edition 3Dr Auto EB,Black Dakota Interior,Media Pack,Exterior folding Mirrors,Heated Seats,PDC (Front + Rear), Adaptive suspension,Apple Carplay,Reverse Camera,Lumbar Support,Speed Limit Display & Park Assist.

mustang993

Post by mustang993 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:25 pm

A slight offtopic. How big is the difference between stock and MPE exhaust on M135i? Is it much louder? Is there any way you can control the exhaust, loud/normal mode?
I'm buying a used M-lite and there is an option of having one with MPE fitted, but I'm worried about it being too loud. I live in an apartment building with other buildings around and big street parking. I'm worried if it's loud it may get keyed or I might have some other problems with neighbors... Also, how does MPE compare with stock on motorway driving, is it trying/droney?

Thank you

Glund91
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Glund91 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:55 am

mustang993 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:25 pm
A slight offtopic. How big is the difference between stock and MPE exhaust on M135i? Is it much louder? Is there any way you can control the exhaust, loud/normal mode?
I'm buying a used M-lite and there is an option of having one with MPE fitted, but I'm worried about it being too loud. I live in an apartment building with other buildings around and big street parking. I'm worried if it's loud it may get keyed or I might have some other problems with neighbors... Also, how does MPE compare with stock on motorway driving, is it trying/droney?

Thank you
M135i MPE retains the valve I believe so you should be able to have it in comfort for a quieter exhaust and open it up in Sport. How this sound level compares to a M140i though I haven't a clue.

General consensus is that the M140i is much quieter than the M135i and mine with MPE and res delete hasn't had any complaints so far.
M140i Shadow in SO w/ MPE

M140 Bowker

Post by M140 Bowker » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:46 pm

Peter.V wrote:
MrTurner wrote:Basic question but what does the MPE do over standard? Does it just flow better? Does the standard have flaps where as MPE does not? Lastly when are the flaps open on the standard system?
The standard backbox (top) has perforations in different chambers to the MPE. That's why the MPE sounds a bit deeper and pops and bangs more.

Image it looks like the stock one would flow a bit better as the inlet to the box is actually shaped a bit and the mpe looks more like a T pice. No way I’m paying for one of them now Iv seen that.
De cat only on mine and it sounds nice as it is now. A bit more volume wouldn’t be sniffed at so think it’s going to be a mid pipe and keep the back box.

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:11 pm

M140 Bowker wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:46 pm
Image it looks like the stock one would flow a bit better as the inlet to the box is actually shaped a bit and the mpe looks more like a T pice. No way I’m paying for one of them now Iv seen that.
De cat only on mine and it sounds nice as it is now. A bit more volume wouldn’t be sniffed at so think it’s going to be a mid pipe and keep the back box.
The newer stock exhausts have even less perforated sections, this is off a recent M140i

The only perforated section is pipe ni the final chamber before the valve which comes wrapped with glass fibre wadding. The rest is solid piping, with a resonating chamber in the centre section.

RDowson
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by RDowson » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Is there a chance that the clamp can be loosened and the whole exhaust oushed back a bit to reduce how far the tips stick out?

Or am I going to need to cur the tailpipes? I'm worried that the tips will hit the curve in the pipe if I need to cut too much off.
M140i Shadow Edition - Sunset Orange - M Performance Exhaust - Front Silencer Delete - Bimecc Spacers - Bluespark - Motech Eibach Springs - MP Bump Stops - MP Discs - Goodridge Lines - Powerflex Inserts - Underbelly Brace - Pipercross Filter

markymark34
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by markymark34 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:21 pm

RDowson wrote:Is there a chance that the clamp can be loosened and the whole exhaust oushed back a bit to reduce how far the tips stick out?

Or am I going to need to cur the tailpipes? I'm worried that the tips will hit the curve in the pipe if I need to cut too much off.
Your going to have to cut the tips. Which is a pity. If you push the mpe back any further than the instructions it hits the heat shield

m140i on order

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”