Baby BMW Forum banner

**UPDATE** Cracking/clicking noise from front wheel

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  OneTwenty 
#1 ·
Hi guys, wonder if anyone knows or has experienced this.

Hard to explain but I can only explain the sound as if something is cracking from the front driver side wheel. Happens mostly when turning but doesn't happen all the time. I've checked all around the wheel and tire and cannot see anything out of the ordinary.

I've got a m240i with adaptive suspension.

Any help would be much appriciated.

#6 ·
It's completely disappeared on mine since lowering and fitting 19's, not sure which of the two has made the difference but I don't get it anymore.

#7 ·
I've just tested it again, turning left up a inclining road on full lock you could hear it more. Sounds as if something is catching and sometimes it sound like a peice of plastic is getting crushed. So hard to explain though. I have read that topic about the suspension and don't think it's that.

#8 ·
Chilun73 said:
I've just tested it again, turning left up a inclining road on full lock you could hear it more. Sounds as if something is catching and sometimes it sound like a peice of plastic is getting crushed. So hard to explain though. I have read that topic about the suspension and don't think it's that.
Get it making the noise, halt, jump out and inspect.

You're still on stock wheels and tyres?

#9 ·
marco_polo said:
Chilun73 said:
Get it making the noise, halt, jump out and inspect.

You're still on stock wheels and tyres?
Did have someone out the car while it was making the noise but couldn't see anything obvious. I've got 624m on with RF. These were on from when I got the car. I'm pretty sure the noise hasn't been there from the start though.

#10 ·
On my car the spring had dislodged itself from its upper seat mount and made horrible clunking noises. This was after a leaking adaptive damper fix(!).

The front end on my 140i is still a bit noisy - I've just given up now and accept that the build quality is basically sh*te.

#11 ·
Cpcrampton was getting banging clunking noises from his M240i, BMW kept palming off saying computer says nothing wrong! Eventually he forced them to take wheels off and properly inspect, they quickly found a snapped brake pad - job done

#13 ·
itguy said:
On my car the spring had dislodged itself from its upper seat mount and made horrible clunking noises. This was after a leaking adaptive damper fix(!).

The front end on my 140i is still a bit noisy - I've just given up now and accept that the build quality is basically sh*te.
Sometimes cars with lowered springs or more commonly when not fitted properly the spring can turn in the cup, which sounds just like the sound we're talking about. I would suspect that in your case the spring wasn't positioned properly when the shock was replaced - nothing to do with build quality, more about incorrect fitting. If it still does it I'd return and get them to check it.

#14 ·
Hi Guys,

So as before my car has been making a strange clicking/cracking sort of noise which does not happen all the time.

So today i had the car checked out by bmw, but typical when road testing it the noise did not happen. They took it down the garage to check and came back to me and said that both top mounts are clicking and needs changing ( even though the noise is only coming from the front right side. I've attached a video what the noise sounds like, you guys think the top mounts can cause this noise?

They didn't have the parts there so have to go back next week.

Thanks in advance

#16 ·
Cars going in tomorrow, this sound like a top mount fault? I don't want them to replace something that doesn't need replacing.

I tested that it will always happen when going down a downhill bend going left. Happens other times too.

Any help appreciated

#17 ·
Just let them sort it, they won't want to spend on parts if they are not confident it will fix it, plus it's under warranty so if it's not sorted they can try again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.