Updated: M140i - Gearbox whine/leaks and a roof rattle - BMW are fighting me. BMW Report Uploaded

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by Jahjaman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Spin wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:15 pm
perhaps I'll go shadow manual instead or stick with my 4,500 mile fault free car.
Why are you switching cars after only a year/4,500 miles?

To the same car, no less?
Aussie M140i 5 door
Underbody brace - Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back

Aussie NZ M135i/M140i/M235i/M240i Owners Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2078
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Shadak wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:23 pm
Im booked for Monday to have this investigated, drove around with a tech and he says my whine is probably a differential.
Mine is a bit different though I realized, I can hear a little bit of OP's whine but its not as extreme.

Mine is like this ( 0:18 higher pitched and for me only at 2 certian speeds, 35kmh and 130kmh, very weird it only happens at those):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nsIcmKflhI
Mine sounds just like that, and it seems to be getting louder, or I’m just noticing it more. Think it might be time to book it in with BMW soon.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Shadak
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by Shadak » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:45 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 pm
Shadak wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:23 pm
Im booked for Monday to have this investigated, drove around with a tech and he says my whine is probably a differential.
Mine is a bit different though I realized, I can hear a little bit of OP's whine but its not as extreme.

Mine is like this ( 0:18 higher pitched and for me only at 2 certian speeds, 35kmh and 130kmh, very weird it only happens at those):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nsIcmKflhI
Mine sounds just like that, and it seems to be getting louder, or I’m just noticing it more. Think it might be time to book it in with BMW soon.
The worst thing is that now when I know how to reproduce it, I here it a lot more and concentrate on the sound and my OCD goes nuts :D
M140i xDrive 2017 - many options

5678
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by 5678 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:32 am

Apologies, I’ve not read all 27 pages!

Sound from box, Bmw says acceptable, OP doesn’t agree?

If it was me, I’d take the car back and just get on with life. Bmw won’t care about letters from a solicitor. They will have been past in house legal on it before telling you they won’t do anything.

Take the car back, give it death and if the box let’s go, get another on warranty. Life’s too short.

KR15
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1506
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:22 am
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by KR15 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:00 am

5678 wrote:Apologies, I’ve not read all 27 pages!

Sound from box, Bmw says acceptable, OP doesn’t agree?

If it was me, I’d take the car back and just get on with life. Bmw won’t care about letters from a solicitor. They will have been past in house legal on it before telling you they won’t do anything.

Take the car back, give it death and if the box let’s go, get another on warranty. Life’s too short.
Maybe you should read all 27 pages....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Current - BMW M140i, BCS Powervalve Cat Back :twisted:
Prev - Focus ST-3 Mk3.5 :D

KR15
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1506
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:22 am
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by KR15 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:01 am

OP any updates?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


Current - BMW M140i, BCS Powervalve Cat Back :twisted:
Prev - Focus ST-3 Mk3.5 :D

5678
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by 5678 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:55 am

KR15 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:00 am
5678 wrote:Apologies, I’ve not read all 27 pages!

Sound from box, Bmw says acceptable, OP doesn’t agree?

If it was me, I’d take the car back and just get on with life. Bmw won’t care about letters from a solicitor. They will have been past in house legal on it before telling you they won’t do anything.

Take the car back, give it death and if the box let’s go, get another on warranty. Life’s too short.
Maybe you should read all 27 pages....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Helpful. Skimmed it. Got the jist. What have I missed that makes my opinion misguided?

mouse140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:56 am

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by mouse140i » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 am

5678 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:55 am
KR15 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:00 am
5678 wrote:Apologies, I’ve not read all 27 pages!

Sound from box, Bmw says acceptable, OP doesn’t agree?

If it was me, I’d take the car back and just get on with life. Bmw won’t care about letters from a solicitor. They will have been past in house legal on it before telling you they won’t do anything.

Take the car back, give it death and if the box let’s go, get another on warranty. Life’s too short.
Maybe you should read all 27 pages....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Helpful. Skimmed it. Got the jist. What have I missed that makes my opinion misguided?
Nothing. Your summary is to the point and similar to my view. Life's too short etc.

However, neither of us are wrapped in it and I (sort of) understand the OP's stance.
Last edited by mouse140i on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadak
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by Shadak » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:41 am

Thing is though that hearing these noises in the car will make some people stop enjoying the car ... my whine is a bit different but still, every time i get in the car i paid so much for, I think about the issue it has and how I will hear it when driving again, its just annoying. Especially to people who are sensitive to every odd sound.
M140i xDrive 2017 - many options

mouse140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:56 am

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by mouse140i » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:53 am

Mine whines. Mostly when/during a good thrashing and normally in the upper engine speed range. Probably a true characteristic.

Sure it bugs me a little but as it only happens when giving it some toe and that I'm concentrating on not sticking it somewhere it shouldn't go, it doesn't annoy or get to me that much.

So I understand it but I wouldn't have let it get to me that far.

User avatar
Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by Compactpete » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:10 am

I don't think the OP would be that bothered if it was genuinely a characteristic of the car but how can it be if not all cars do it?

Perhaps those with quiet cars should complain to BMW demanding their car has the missing 'characteristic' installed..
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2078
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:40 am

I think the problem is when the whine gets louder.

My point earlier in this thread was similar to above - just enjoy the car and don't worry about it.

However, now mine has got worse/louder I'm siding more with Shadak's opinion now in that it's starting to tarnish the car. Every time I go to get in it I am not reminded of how much fun it is and how great it looks, but the fact that when driving it sounds like a supercharger. Granted it's not the worse sound, and mine is nowhere near as bad as enthusiastowned's noise but it's not what you expect when paying so much money.

I am going to take mine to BMW and see what they say, luckily the senior tech/service manager lives on my road and his dad is an old mate of my dads so I will try and play that card and see if that gets me anywhere! :D

The flip side to that of course is that if they agree to a new gearbox that then means half of the car being taken apart and you have to wonder if it will go back properly again. :(

So do you live with the whine, or do you risk the car being messed about with???

Worse case scenario, if they say it's normal and nothing to worry about I will have to start modding it so that the exhaust and intake is louder than the gearbox. I'm not worried what it sounds like outside to other people so if I can mask the whine then all is good again.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

5678
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by 5678 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 pm

You all have warranty right? Then why worry? Ignore the noise (easy for me to say I admit!) and if it gets ridiculous it goes pop then it gets fixed!

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2078
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 pm

5678 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 pm
You all have warranty right? Then why worry? Ignore the noise (easy for me to say I admit!) and if it gets ridiculous it goes pop then it gets fixed!
The problem is the noise is just a noise, it doesn’t lead onto anything and will never go pop. So the gearbox will be fine but you will just have to live with the terrible noise which BMW say is “normal”.

So the warranty is worthless, because they say it’s “normal” you just have to get over it.

If the noise was bad, got worse, then lead to gearbox destruction then fine it could be fixed under warranty. But it doesn’t and BMW won’t fix it.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Shadak
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by Shadak » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Ummm I dunno, I certainly wouldnt want to wait say 3 years for the gearbox to fail (if ever) and meanwhile keep making an annoying noise ... not in a car for that kind of money. This isnt something other cars like this do, certainly didnt hear it during my test drive which was the same spec.
M140i xDrive 2017 - many options

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”