Updated: M140i - Gearbox whine/leaks and a roof rattle - BMW are fighting me. BMW Report Uploaded

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

markymark34
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Official BMW Update: M140i - Whine Video - It's normal :(

Post by markymark34 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Mine was winning as well. Very very subtle. The used one I drove had a very slight wine in it. It's masked by the mpe very well. I only noticed when I took it off. That was at about 3000miles on the clock.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

m140i on order

Ls3c6

Post by Ls3c6 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:18 am

I have a may 2016 production 8at 340xi with this whine also, only noticable to me clearly 1000-2000rpm, worst 1800-2000 rpm on acceleration or deceleration, reminds me of very minor bearing noise in an accessory or even ground noise with a poorly installed aftermarket radio/amp.

I haven't brought it in and it's done it to some degree since new maybe louder now. It's quite annoying, it's not quite subaru sti 6spd gearbox whine loud but very noticeable.

Most ppl I ask that ride with me don't notice it or think it's acceptable, 8200 miles currently.

No leak from my turbo vband clamp as others have been finding but coolant was about 16oz low at 8k miles as others have also found.

Questionable longevity me thinks, glad I leased.

For what it's worth we also own a 2017 ford escape titanium 4wd (ford kuga?) With 2.0 litre twin scroll turbo engine and 6spd automatic... I find that powertrain much quieter and also less road noise than the 3 series *scratches head*

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:55 am

Enthusiastowned. I have just read much if this thread from top to bottom. What a horrible situation and how deeply disappointing but seems like they fobbed off the wrong guy! I commend your resiliance and the way you have cleaverly docunented the whole affair. We all no doubt wish you the best of luck it getting this resolved and I feel you will reach your goal. I take my hat off, thanks for sharing such a horrible exoerience that you ate clearly still going through but light is at the end of the tunnel.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

strykeruk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by strykeruk » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:56 pm

No further updates or have BMW paid off the OP?
M135i Sport auto, mineral grey, black leather, comfort package, media professional, PDC, adaptive suspension, comfort access, sun protection, folding mirrors, memory seats, seat heating, adaptive LEDs with HBA, Harman Kardon,

Ferosferio
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ferosferio » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:55 pm

May aswell add my tuppence worth. My M140 is on just over 7.5k miles. In the last few hundred miles I've noticed a whine once up to operating temp. Definitely seems to be getting worse.

Will broach this - armed with an expectation to be fobbed off - with my dealer when it goes in for its MPE tomorrow in place of the rattling standard backbox...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Daily: '17 M140i | Mineral Grey, Oyster, heated seats, Auto, HK, speed limit display |
Work in progress: '94 Corrado VR6

Element
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Element » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:29 am

Whereabouts is the transmission oil cooler situation and how do the associated lines run from it?

Is it the second, small radiator here? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=17_1078
BMW F22 M240i | 8ZF | MPE

SkyJawa
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SkyJawa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:18 am

strykeruk wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:56 pm
No further updates or have BMW paid off the OP?
From what Enthusiast said I would assume he has settled and can't talk about it. Hope so, as that means he won!

.Griff.
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by .Griff. » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 am

Probably signed one or more NDAs.
Gone - 135i M Sport DCT, Just picked up - SO M140i Shadow Edition 8ZF MPE

Spin
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Spin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Understand OP can't comment due to NDA etc, I recently threatened to cancel my order for an auto with Sytner and quoted this case.

The sales manager went away, called me back after speaking to the group master tech and said all he could say was that"... the issue was now resolved and they do not expect any future issues to arise..."

Derive from this what you may but I was lead to believe an isolated case with a belated but now satisfactory conclusion.
09 VW GTI - 5*
10 Audi S3 - 4*
12 M135i - Estoril F20 Man 4*
63 F21 125d Auto 4*
15 F21 135i Auto
16 RS3
66 Golf R
17 M140 Man

Type R EP3 for when the torque gets too much

enthusiastowned
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by enthusiastowned » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:51 am

Sorry for the lack of updates chaps. The cars' been in the independent garage for over 2 months. It's a small company and the chap had a bereavement meaning work stopped for about 6 weeks. I'm still paying finance and I have no car.

I've received the Independent report. I also have a BMW report which makes dubious and unfounded accusations - I signed nothing to say I wouldn't release this report on the domain and right now, I'm sick of BMW and I don't feel like I'm going to win this (BMW will fight this all the way) so I might as well try a different approach and try and shame BMW into taking action. I think I'll share the report with you guys.

The leak was confirmed as a failed o-ring on the gearbox oil cooler pipe, top connection.

In short:
  • Stratstone have appeared to have fixed the leak by changing the pipe (need to check in about a 1000 miles to confirm), they topped the fluid up in the gearbox, but not at the correct level! - The fluid is still low!
  • The gearbox is damaged due to the type of failure it had, to what extent without a stripdown, I won't know
  • The gearbox performs as it should at the moment, with the occasional blip when changing gears
  • The gearbox no longer whines as before!!

Long story, backed up by my independent and the history of the vehicle:
  • The pipework joint on the oil cooler has been leaking from new - likely installation failure - I.e. a knick to the o-ring when fitted
  • I noticed a leak within 2 weeks of ownership and experienced a iDrive error - Sytner confirmed as water and a blip with nothing to worry about (hindsight, eh?)
  • The leak was so small the fluid just burned off, mixed with grime, road gunk, water etc so the leak was not obvious.
  • The oil level got low enough so the gearbox started to whine due to either lack of lubrication to one of the 4 gear sets or lack of lubrication to the chain driven section of the oil pump.
  • The o-ring knick grew over time due to pressure etc causing the leak to become severe enough for me to spot the leak
    • The o-ring finally failed in full leading to a very quick loss of fluid and a complete failure of the gearbox drive
    Now that is my version and the independent version of events. Backed up by the events, e-mails and lots of evidence.

BMW have always stated the whine is a normal characteristic of these cars but failed to provide any evidence. BMW blames the o-ring failure due to tampering of the o-ring. Their 'evidence' is that the o-ring would never fail in the position it is, and also the pipe has scuff marks (with a photo of the pipe removed from the vehicle and placed on the floor!)

So, just to be absolutely clear. My car has very likely leaked oil from 2 weeks old. It's certainly leaked oil twice, 1.5l then 4l. The gearbox whined until it was re-topped up. BMW say the whine is normal and the leak was due to a tampered o-ring.
M140i - Melbourne Red
Black Leather / Automatic / Comfort Pack / Professional Media / Run-flats (the shame) / Adaptive Suspension / Reversing Camera / Sun Glass / Folding Mirrors / Electric and Heated Seats / Harman Kardon / Genuine Black Grill

enthusiastowned
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by enthusiastowned » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:55 am

On another note, can anyone recommend any car publications I can take this to? Whacar etc?
M140i - Melbourne Red
Black Leather / Automatic / Comfort Pack / Professional Media / Run-flats (the shame) / Adaptive Suspension / Reversing Camera / Sun Glass / Folding Mirrors / Electric and Heated Seats / Harman Kardon / Genuine Black Grill

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:07 am

enthusiastowned wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:51 am
Sorry for the lack of updates chaps. The cars' been in the independent garage for over 2 months. It's a small company and the chap had a bereavement meaning work stopped for about 6 weeks. I'm still paying finance and I have no car.

I've received the Independent report. I also have a BMW report which makes dubious and unfounded accusations - I signed nothing to say I wouldn't release this report on the domain and right now, I'm sick of BMW and I don't feel like I'm going to win this (BMW will fight this all the way) so I might as well try a different approach and try and shame BMW into taking action. I think I'll share the report with you guys.

The leak was confirmed as a failed o-ring on the gearbox oil cooler pipe, top connection.

In short:
  • Stratstone have appeared to have fixed the leak by changing the pipe (need to check in about a 1000 miles to confirm), they topped the fluid up in the gearbox, but not at the correct level! - The fluid is still low!
  • The gearbox is damaged due to the type of failure it had, to what extent without a stripdown, I won't know
  • The gearbox performs as it should at the moment, with the occasional blip when changing gears
  • The gearbox no longer whines as before!!

Long story, backed up by my independent and the history of the vehicle:
  • The pipework joint on the oil cooler has been leaking from new - likely installation failure - I.e. a knick to the o-ring when fitted
  • I noticed a leak within 2 weeks of ownership and experienced a iDrive error - Sytner confirmed as water and a blip with nothing to worry about (hindsight, eh?)
  • The leak was so small the fluid just burned off, mixed with grime, road gunk, water etc so the leak was not obvious.
  • The oil level got low enough so the gearbox started to whine due to either lack of lubrication to one of the 4 gear sets or lack of lubrication to the chain driven section of the oil pump.
  • The o-ring knick grew over time due to pressure etc causing the leak to become severe enough for me to spot the leak
    • The o-ring finally failed in full leading to a very quick loss of fluid and a complete failure of the gearbox drive
    Now that is my version and the independent version of events. Backed up by the events, e-mails and lots of evidence.

BMW have always stated the whine is a normal characteristic of these cars but failed to provide any evidence. BMW blames the o-ring failure due to tampering of the o-ring. Their 'evidence' is that the o-ring would never fail in the position it is, and also the pipe has scuff marks (with a photo of the pipe removed from the vehicle and placed on the floor!)

So, just to be absolutely clear. My car has very likely leaked oil from 2 weeks old. It's certainly leaked oil twice, 1.5l then 4l. The gearbox whined until it was re-topped up. BMW say the whine is normal and the leak was due to a tampered o-ring.
Holly sh*t mate, what a nightmare. I'm sure you'll not be in another BMW anytime soon. Hope you get it resolved.
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

enthusiastowned
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by enthusiastowned » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 am

I've asked for all my money back, plus costs, plus I've tried to justify compensation, but not directly asked for it.

Forget BMW, I won't buy a new car ever again as I won't rely on a dealer network or warranty ever again. I'll be buying used and something I have control over should issues arise.

The comment above about the chap quoting my case and BMW saying it's been resolved implying that we have a satisfactory conclusion has pissed me off. It clearly shows BMW feel like they have won this and I've gone away. The arrogance of them. They can suck my big fat dick.

I've purposefully used the independent report delay to switch off from all of this and I've felt great over the past month or so putting it all to the back of my mind. I've started back on this the past few days and my stress levels have gone through the roof instantly, I woke up at 5am with a migrane thinking about all of this. It's clearly playing with my health. I'm raging.
M140i - Melbourne Red

Glund91
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Glund91 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:49 am

Gutted for you mate, I assumed after all this time it had all been resolved and you had moved on to pastures new and loving life.

The fact this likely is from 2 weeks old is terrifying to me, as it has taken you a long time to find out and it may have got to the point of severe damage to the car.

I personally would name and shame as much as possible. I mentioned earlier in the thread, if you only cause one person to not buy a BMW they have lost thousands. Not to mention I am sure this thread has made a lot of us question how we would fare with issues ourselves.
M140i Shadow in SO w/ MPE

fufty1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fufty1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:44 pm

I really don't get why no government body has stepped in to sort this out.

How can you possibly be expected to buy a £30k car that is broken from the start, and keep paying for it while the thing has been off the road basically for a long time?

I know you don't want to go down this route, but if it was me I would be dumping it at their door, stopping payments and waiting for a court date to sort it all out.
Current: M240i manual EB with cognac.
Gone: m135i auto MG

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”