Rattle/Ticking please help :( (Now Fixed)

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

TN89A

Re: Rattle/Ticking please help :( (Now Fixed)

Post by TN89A » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi folks,

Resurrecting one of the many squeak/creak threads, this seems to be most similar to my issue.

After months of annoying seal creaks on my 135i (eventually fixed under warranty by replacing the door seals and window guides) I've more recently noticed a creaking noise right by my right ear, seemed to be coming from the B pillar/roof lining area. It sounds almost like a packet of crisps, and is worst on acceleration and braking at 10-30 mph as the body lurches for want of a better word.

I whipped off the B pillar and think I've found the source, seems to be the curtain airbag rustling against the roof lining. There's a band around the airbag presumably holding it wound up and out of the way which rustles a lot.

I wondered if anyone had anything similar or any suggestions on how to fix it!? I'm thinking of trying to line the areas that rub with tape to stop it rustling. I'm wary of doing too much in case I ever need to airbags to deploy! I'm also weary about mucking about with it too much and it exploding and taking my head off :) I'll remove the negative terminal off the battery before messing about with it much more to avoid this one!

Would appreciate any suggestions.

olda47
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by olda47 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:48 pm

I know, this doesn´t sound like a great suggestion, but I believe, once it comes to messing with airbags, it´s a good idea to leave to BMW service people. And again, I know, it´s gone cost you some money, but there´s no substitute for peace of mind.
M140i man. 5dr, AW, CF roof

TN89A

Post by TN89A » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Managed to massively improve it without messing with the airbag thankfully.

Threw everything at it I’d read on here - Gummi Pfledged ever seal I could find, window frame, silicone to every door catch and then took off the B pillar trim and put cavity wax just about everywhere, then added anti rattle tape to every joint when I refitted the trim. I think it’s done the trick and I’m back to loving the car!

olda47
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by olda47 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:40 am

TN89A wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:55 pm
Managed to massively improve it without messing with the airbag thankfully.

Threw everything at it I’d read on here - Gummi Pfledged ever seal I could find, window frame, silicone to every door catch and then took off the B pillar trim and put cavity wax just about everywhere, then added anti rattle tape to every joint when I refitted the trim. I think it’s done the trick and I’m back to loving the car!
Sounds like you could sell your "fix" to BMW service people and make some money..... :D Anyway, well done!

SOL111

Re: Rattle/Ticking please help :(

Post by SOL111 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Mooeeey wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:48 pm
It was a roof panel(s) near the offside (driver's side) tailgate hinge.

Not my car in the pic, but you get the general area.

I am a little hesitant to start stripping stuff to take a real picture, but hopefully you get the general location.
Hi there

Apologies for the late post but I've been busy recently. Anyway, I finally managed to fix my rattle after much searching/frustration.

I thought mine was in the boot hinge area too but it turned out to be to the right of the hinge by the rear c pillar.

I hope none of you have to pull down the headlining but if you do there's a myriad of layers spot welded together to form a box section across the rear of the car (presumably to increase rigidity).

What I found was that two of the layers were spot welded but not well enough to prevent them from moving under torsion. Basically I used my panel beating skills (lol) to mildly deform part of the box section that was causing the ticking noise.

I did consider cavity wax but whilst it would solve the problem, it's not really designed for moving parts so had a feeling I'd just be doing it again some time in the future.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'd recommend this repair but by the look of it, these noises are completely random so hopefully others will be easier to locate/fix by BMW.

Mooeeey
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Mooeeey » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Mine's still ok, 3 months later and still no rattle. Saying that it does make some strange noises over uneven roads and corning, coming from the boot area again, but it's pretty minor and I've put it down to plastic trim rather than metal on metal.

I do now however have a super annoying plastic rattle coming from the steering column and something coming from the passenger side door area. I also have the dreaded exhaust rattle on start up. I'll be changing the car as soon as possible, problem after problem and I've just had enough. Only 14 months through my 4 year PCP, so I guess I'll have to wait a while.
What I found was that two of the layers were spot welded but not well enough to prevent them from moving under torsion. Basically I used my panel beating skills (lol) to mildly deform part of the box section that was causing the ticking noise.
Does sound identical to mine and the cavity wax has certainly 'fixed' the issue. I hope it won't come back, but so far so good. I agree though, it's probably not ideal.

I noticed there was another person on here who had a similar problem and when the dealer investigated they confirmed it couldn't be fixed and the car was rejected. Clearly not an isolated incident.
Now: F21 M140i
In the past: F20 120d Sport | E46 M3 | E46 325Ci Sport | E90 320d SE | E87 118d Sport | F21 M135i

SOL111

Post by SOL111 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:35 pm

Glad to hear all's well with yours and hope it stays that way. I was seriously falling out with mine and it's not nice thinking that you want to ditch the car for something else.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't knocking the fix from your dealer but having literally pulled the entire back end of my car apart, I don't want to have to again lol.

Regarding the commonality of faults I've no doubt there are more cars out there with this kind of issue. When I took my inspection camera up there I could see visible gaps between the welded skins and could see how they could rattle against each other or 'tick' if any of the spot welds were dodgy. Not being in the motor trade I don't know if these gaps are supposed to be like that but the one's I could reach, I could slide a 0.75mm thick steel rule between them.

Anyway, fingers crossed and thanks again to all for the info along the way :-)

Mad_Mac
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mad_Mac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:44 pm

TN89A wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:42 pm
Hi folks,

Resurrecting one of the many squeak/creak threads, this seems to be most similar to my issue.

After months of annoying seal creaks on my 135i (eventually fixed under warranty by replacing the door seals and window guides) I've more recently noticed a creaking noise right by my right ear, seemed to be coming from the B pillar/roof lining area. It sounds almost like a packet of crisps, and is worst on acceleration and braking at 10-30 mph as the body lurches for want of a better word.

I whipped off the B pillar and think I've found the source, seems to be the curtain airbag rustling against the roof lining. There's a band around the airbag presumably holding it wound up and out of the way which rustles a lot.

I wondered if anyone had anything similar or any suggestions on how to fix it!? I'm thinking of trying to line the areas that rub with tape to stop it rustling. I'm wary of doing too much in case I ever need to airbags to deploy! I'm also weary about mucking about with it too much and it exploding and taking my head off :) I'll remove the negative terminal off the battery before messing about with it much more to avoid this one!

Would appreciate any suggestions.
Unfortunately I have this creak/clicking from B pillar right next to my ear. You can only hear it when you drive slow in town but it is annoying! I'm going to BMW with my noisy steering rack next week and will tell them to fix this noise as well.
F20 2015 M135i LCI manual, black, coral interior, comfort pack, black grill and MPE

olda47
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by olda47 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:07 pm

SOL111 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:35 pm
Glad to hear all's well with yours and hope it stays that way. I was seriously falling out with mine and it's not nice thinking that you want to ditch the car for something else.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't knocking the fix from your dealer but having literally pulled the entire back end of my car apart, I don't want to have to again lol.

Regarding the commonality of faults I've no doubt there are more cars out there with this kind of issue. When I took my inspection camera up there I could see visible gaps between the welded skins and could see how they could rattle against each other or 'tick' if any of the spot welds were dodgy. Not being in the motor trade I don't know if these gaps are supposed to be like that but the one's I could reach, I could slide a 0.75mm thick steel rule between them.

Anyway, fingers crossed and thanks again to all for the info along the way :-)
On the subject of spot welds. Number and position of spot welds is given by the weld schedule. The next thing is the weld integrity. This used to be physically checked by the hammer and chisel check. Don´t know, how´s this check done nowdays. The weld integrity is heavily dependant on the spot gun maintenance and frequency of the quality checks on line and off line. Only hope that BMW is not trying to save money on these aktivities. It certainly would bite them back, if it´s not biting them already.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”