Baby BMW Forum banner

Sunset orange or Estoril Blue arrrrraggghhh!

16K views 67 replies 38 participants last post by  McTrucky 
#1 ·
Well guys I completely yo-yoing with the colours. I was totally set of EB with full aerodynamic bodykit and M405s. Then when when LCI was announced with the new SO colour I thought yes this is different and was set on that, a week later back on EB and vice versa.

I went to BMW Derby today to look at SO in the flesh on a 4 series and here is the pick (although in the flesh it looks a more deeper orange) I thought about getting the black carbon fibre roof with SO along with the full aerodynamic bodykit but obviously there is no pics of this on the internet. The thing is the EB with full kit to me looks awesome and not the the full kit with SO will look the same. Pick also included on the m235i track edition in EB as this is the nearest likeness of what a M240i with full kit and M405s would.

Please give my query a full analysis as I can't decide!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
I was in the same boat and I've picked sunset and I've never seen it in person :eek2: Before the LCI2 I specced mineral and coral red but have changed to sunset and black.

Reasons being:
- Valencia was my favourite paint on the old model
- I didn't pick orange before the refresh because I really wanted coral
- Now coral is discontinued I have no reason not to go orange although I'm undecided as to whether sunset is better or worse than valencia
- Estoril is a very common colour these days and I wanted something different

I would say that 2er isn't a very accurate representation of what estoril looks like in the flesh, it's lighter IMO. There's an estoril 118i msport in my work car park and its very nice but not very 'interesting' I have to say. Depending on what you want this might appeal to you though

#8 ·
Or blue, perhaps?

And now has CF wing covers, so looks a bit better.

To be honest, I think EB looks great in the sun and bright cloud (as in the photo') but I suspect that the orange will look more lively in duller conditions. And unfortunately, ED has lost some exclusivity, with its availability on the 2 Gran Tourer - I notice that there's new blues appearing on the BMW palette (Mediterranean, Sonic, Snapper Rocks etc.) which indicates BMW think this too.

And any survey will be biased towards EB as there wont' be many owners photos of the new orange.

Actually, for me, the choice was between EB and mineral grey. We had a loan M235i convertible for a day, in MG with black interior, black grille and CF wing mirrors. It looked terrific - I'd had MG on my previous 3 Series and it was surprisingly bright and in winter, didn't show the dirt like black does.

#9 ·
Orange - I have seen a 4er in Sunset and I think I prefer Valencia though Estoril is by comparison too common, every other 320d M-Sport is Estoril.

#10 ·
kylemacca01 said:
Prefer orange, its more interesting and i think it works really well with the m performance bits.

No sure what you mean by CF roof? Not an option im aware of unless your after an m3/4.
See white 3 series which has performance goodies on in including carbon roof which was next to SO 4 series at dealer

#11 ·
Jamhard said:
kylemacca01 said:
Prefer orange, its more interesting and i think it works really well with the m performance bits.

No sure what you mean by CF roof? Not an option im aware of unless your after an m3/4.
See white 3 series which has performance goodies on in including carbon roof which was next to SO 4 series at dealer

Cf roof is not available on 1/2ers

#12 ·
Tricky401 said:
Jamhard said:
kylemacca01 said:

Didnt realise you could option it on a 3 series....

Looks like 3m di noc, not glossy like real CF.

#13 ·
Tricky401 said:
Jamhard said:
kylemacca01 said:

It looks like a dealer fit wrap - Carbon roof on a 318d - WTF :rollseyes:

#14 ·
Thanks guys, and after reading my post again there is awful grammar, sorry!

Any to give a little background, I have been obsessing over the last 3 years over getting a sporty good looking mid life crisis car that I could take on the track a few times a year (never done it before and a burning desire to track), after looking at lots of coupes and hot hatches settled on the 240i, with m performance goodies and slip diff.

So want the colour to the right one, I would be devastated if wasn't right when I get it delivered!

I think the EB is a good looking safer bet but i am thinking the VO with the black skirts, bigger black spoiler and M2405s would go well together, as kylemacca01 says, and will be that little bit different 🤔🤔

#16 ·
SkyJawa said:
Eb (previous owner) is soooooooooooooo common these days, I'd go orange any day.
It depends on how you buy your cars. If bought on a PCP go for anything you like as it's not your problem. If you are actually buying the car, then ask yourself why EB is common and Orange is less so. Who knows what the market thinks down the line....

#18 ·
markm240i said:
SkyJawa said:
Eb (previous owner) is soooooooooooooo common these days, I'd go orange any day.
It depends on how you buy your cars. If bought on a PCP go for anything you like as it's not your problem. If you are actually buying the car, then ask yourself why EB is common and Orange is less so. Who knows what the market thinks down the line....
People said the same about specing eb and coral, reduce the market looking for the car, which turned out to be a load of rubbish, they sell just fine! There's always a buyer out there regardless :)

#19 ·
I think the Sunset Orange with orbit grey wheels would look mint.

Those initial pics are a bit unflattering to Sunset orange (sell phone pic in a dealer) vs Estoril (heavily post processed DSLR photo in perfect outdoor light).

#25 ·
Orange, without doubt. I really wanted an orange car but the 240 wasn't available in orange last year when I bought.

It looks good, it's unique to the LCI model and it will look even better with matching black MP goodies. Blue is everywhere with BMW's, every 1/2/3/4 series round here is EB!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.