BimmerCode and ASD - do's and dont's?

Information about coding your BMW

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

RJKflyer

BimmerCode and ASD - do's and dont's?

Post by RJKflyer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:37 pm

I was contemplating seeing what difference it makes to deactivate ASD, and/or adjust levels.

I've read a few posts re BimmerCode and they're not terribly recent, so, looking for some advice along these lines please in case the App has moved on:
1. Using simple mode, does BC successfully turn ASD off and on?
2. Does adjusting levels in Expert Mode (Audio Level) work correctly?
3. Does changing Engine work correctly? (provided it's a valid engine in the Model Range?)
4. Does having HK audio make any difference to BC success?
5. Best done with ignition on and with or without engine running?
6. Does any of this raise error codes which then need BimmerLink to remove?

Thanks.

Riszey_M140i

Re: BimmerCode and ASD - do's and dont's?

Post by Riszey_M140i » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 am

Hi there,

I used BimmerCode, in basic mode to successfully turn off ASD in my M140i the other day. I was also able to turn it back on from a backup that BimmerCode made of the setting, because once I turned it off the only thing that came up was “default value” or something to that effect. But it turned it back on fine from the backup, and to be honest I left it on, I found the whole experience very quiet without it, though the engine sounded nice at high RPM, it was very quiet and the auto blips on the down change were fairly quiet too. To be honest I didn’t try adjusting the engine or volume levels. For what it’s worth, I have HK audio in my car, and I done the coding with the engine running, just to be safe. I didn’t encounter any error messages either :D

RJKflyer

Post by RJKflyer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:42 am

Thanks for the info.

I think 'Off' or 'Default Value' are the two options in 'Simple Mode' - meaning just off or on - and entering Expert Mode will give a wider selection of adjustments.

However, are you saying that when you reconnected BC to turn it back on, you just saw ONE menu item under ASD - just "Default Value'? I suppose that could possibly have some logic if BC was reading it as 'Off' and therefore the only option to change is on.

Riszey_M140i

Post by Riszey_M140i » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:43 pm

Yeah that’s correct, I believe you can change the volume, the engine, and the type of HiFi installed in your car too.

Yeah, once I reconnected the app after turning it off, the only option was ‘default value’ or ‘unknown vaule’ Or words to that effect, it was the only item in the list and it was selected. BimmerCode backs up your settings when it connects to your car, so I was able to use the back up to go back to a two option list for ASD and turn it back to the setting it was on before I turned it off, and it’s been fine since.

CynicalRobot
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CynicalRobot » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:00 pm

I turned mine off using bimmercode today and to be honest... i actually missed ASD.

When i went to turn it on my heart rate went up a bit when i saw it was set to off with no option to turn it back on. However it did say that the only way to turn it back on is to restore from a backup.

So i clicked backups in the bottom right, clicked on the latest one and clicked code.

ASD is now back on, not had any issues tbh.
2016 BMW M135i LCI - Total Loss :cry:

Crazy_Raesy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Crazy_Raesy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:51 pm

RJKflyer wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:37 pm
I was contemplating seeing what difference it makes to deactivate ASD, and/or adjust levels.

I've read a few posts re BimmerCode and they're not terribly recent, so, looking for some advice along these lines please in case the App has moved on:
1. Using simple mode, does BC successfully turn ASD off and on?
2. Does adjusting levels in Expert Mode (Audio Level) work correctly?
3. Does changing Engine work correctly? (provided it's a valid engine in the Model Range?)
4. Does having HK audio make any difference to BC success?
5. Best done with ignition on and with or without engine running?
6. Does any of this raise error codes which then need BimmerLink to remove?

Thanks.
I have used BC to code my ASD. Contrary to popular belief I think it's too subtle in the M140i, I miss the drama of my M135i inside the cabin.

I have successfully changed the audio level to TL5 which is the maximum without any errors. This has made a marginal difference but its certainly not night and day. I did this with the engine on and only coded that, at that time, rather than a number of things at once.

I want to experiment and change the engine as i believe you can change it to that of the M*35i by selecting F20 with N55 or something but wasn't brave enough... I've heard that that is the best setting though, more so than the M3/4.

mtechtone
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by mtechtone » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:44 am

The previous owner of my car turned the ASD off. Are we saying that it can only be turned back on using the backup file?

In principal I don’t like the idea of fake sounds but my car seems so quiet, I’d like to try it with the sounds on.

CynicalRobot
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CynicalRobot » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:34 pm

You can probably turn it back on using another program, it seems Bimmercode can only do it from a backup. Unless someone knows a way to do it in the expert mode.
2016 BMW M135i LCI - Total Loss :cry:

R88
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by R88 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:21 pm

I have BC and the F23 N55. From reading the other thread F22 N55 TL 05 us the loudest setting. Would the F22 vs. F23 make any difference?

Crazy_Raesy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Crazy_Raesy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:39 pm

R88 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:21 pm
I have BC and the F23 N55. From reading the other thread F22 N55 TL 05 us the loudest setting. Would the F22 vs. F23 make any difference?
That’s what I had heard and want to try it but worried about messing it up. Anyone know the exact settings for this to work on a 2017 M140?

jassi
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by jassi » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:23 pm

If it's off with no option to turn it on in simple mode, then restore from backup (if one exists) or jump into expert mode and select the right options. For the longest time I've had mine on power class TL (loudest) for my specific engine (b58). Recently
I screwed up and lost ASD when messing about with different engine values etc (was trying M3/4/5) and a restore brought it right back. However my ASD was not restored to factory default value of ML (for m140i), it came back with a value of TL (my last setting). I asked bimmercode developer why a restore did not bring back my original factory values. After some analysis, he realised there was a bug and old backups were being over-written! So my factory settings backup has been lost on all the ECUs I've touched with bimmercode and can never be restored!
Bottom-line if you have the Android bimmercode app, don't trust the back-up option to restore everything if you've made too many changes!! Will update when I hear the Android app is fixed - best not too make any changes till then if you want to ever undo stuff!

Edit - also tried f22/n55/TL combo recommended here on my m140i just now. Pretty underwhelming, unless it didn't work! I went back to original b58 with TL.and sounds amazing :-)
Aussie M140i 5 door with mpe and underbody brace, warranty friendly
Aussie NZ M135i/M140i/M235i/M240i Owners Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:38 am

Expert mode is better for coding ASD and for some reason whenever you change ASD values you have to wait a while for everything to catch up.

I messed up the settings on mine at one point and the ASD disappeared, which as some folk above said it bad - you get no sound at all!!

I eventually got it all working again by waiting 30 minutes and re-doing it all. The volume levels don't seem to make a massive difference, think I have it on 4 now but 5 never seemed any louder.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Return to “Coding/Software”