Coding from base stereo to HiFi (F22)

Information about coding your BMW

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

binocular
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Coding from base stereo to HiFi (F22)

Post by binocular » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Whether it's for a fee or just free I am very grateful for receiving any support from respected and trusted forum members or sponsors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alpine White F20 M135i, auto, adaptive, MPE.

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:51 pm

With his attitude Craig I wouldn't offer to help him :lol:
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

krisabf
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by krisabf » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:58 pm

Octavius wrote:With his attitude Craig I wouldn't offer to help him :lol:
Neither would I :lol:
E82 135i N54 - MHD stage 1+, Forge FMIC, Turbosmart Plumback diverter valves, VRSF charge pipe. M3 LCAs +TS, THETYRANT camber plates, Whiteline bush inserts, resonator delete.

matsmith749
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by matsmith749 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:17 pm

Come on guys get a grip.

I just don't like the business practice of jumping into a thread & saying you know how, but will only tell for a fee.

If you think that's cool on a public forum then good for you - personally I just find it wrong (pure & simple).

I don't want to pay someone to come to my house & code the car, or internet in & do it remotely. I'm happy to do it myself, just wanted a pointer from someone that had already done it. I was pretty clear in my original post if you want to read it.

I love fanboys & trollers, but for me I will not change. Feel free to bash - I promise not to cry.

I share info freely & pass it on if it will help others (see my other detailed threads which do EXACTLY that).

Each to their own.
Current: BMW m240i / Mercedes S320 CDI / Porsche 997 Carrerra S
Previous: BMW z4 35is e89 / BMW z4 3.0si e85 /Range Rover FF / Mercedes E320 CDI / Audi TT / Jag S Type / Civic Type R

matsmith749
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by matsmith749 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:54 pm

I give up - I can be a bit short tempered & I hold my hands up to that. But I have my opinion & I stand by it.

I did make it completely clear from the start that I was just looking for pointers to the right section / item to code, I wasn't looking for a business that could do it for me. Sheesh.

Where I come from internet forums are for people to share info & help each other. Simple as that.

I'm doing the coding this afternoon - for anyone interested, the code change is pretty simple.

AUDIO_SYSTEM needs the value changing from 01 Stereo to 02 Hifi (for just a speaker change adding tweeters).

The AUDO_SYSTEM_VAR deals with outputs to amps etc & is not altered by just a speaker change.

This will remove the treble / bass boost from the base system eq curve, which is modified due to the standard speakers being a bit low grade & having no tweeters / smaller underseat subs. Guides available (just search) for how to code with ESYS if you need them.

Peace / out.

Edited - I've coded the car & taken before / after audio spectrum sweeps to verify the change. If anyone is interested I'm happy to share the results which clearly demonstrate what to change & what happens when you do. Free of charge.
Previous: BMW z4 35is e89 / BMW z4 3.0si e85 /Range Rover FF / Mercedes E320 CDI / Audi TT / Jag S Type / Civic Type R

Wibbles

Post by Wibbles » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:37 pm

Glad you got it sorted.
F21 M135i - AW CR - lots of options.
Coding for all BMW's: Enquiries@BRdiagnostics.co.uk
Please visit my BabyBMW sponsors section: Here

Chillnflow

Post by Chillnflow » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi Matt

Thanks for the info to date

Would be interested to hear what you thought of the difference now that you have the coding done too..you were clearly happy with the focals all round, would you say recoding is essential when upgrading speakers? And do you know what the different audio options all do?
Am thinking of the speaker upgrade myself but not decided on doing the coding myself if necessary and therefore may have to factor in that potential cost.
Ps do you know what psdz version I would need for a June build Lci..haven't been able to figure that out from my reading so far.

Thanks!

matsmith749
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by matsmith749 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:40 pm

I was really happy with the difference from just the speaker swap (guess you have been reading the other thread regards that).

I would say that over a period of time I could tell that the EQ curve being applied by the stereo was overly boosting the treble & bass, which had the effect of reducing the midrange slightly. I could not fix it with the bass/treble controls, so needed to code it out.

I bought some audio spectrum analysis software & analysed the sound from the car, when you do that you can see exactly what happens with the sound processing & also what affect the bass and treble controls have on the sound output. I used pink noise for the testing.

When you code out the EQ curve you get rid of the extended bass & high frequency, which in effect boosts the midrange, leaving you with a more balanced EQ curve (dependent on what you have done with replacement speakers of course).

End result is a sound that can be tweaked with the bass & treble controls to give a more natural sound. Sometimes with the system before the coding it would sound great, but the odd tune would be cringingly bad. Now it sounds great on everything I have tried.

So yeh, pleased with the result of the coding.

There are businesss that can do the coding for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, so that should not be a worry.

Chillnflow

Post by Chillnflow » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:19 pm

Yeah been following the other thread with interest, thanks for the sharing so far.
And you not messing about when it comes to testing the results...audio spectrum what! Will only be using my ears to test ha ha.
But good for other upgraders to know there is a definite change from this test.
Amazing what can be done with these cars with some knowledge.

The speaker change is getting mixed reviews now on the other thread i.e there's a couple of people that are not convinced by the change but this more scientific test on the recoding effect is encouraging.

Will keep reading up on the coding to see if in can get confident with that..
I like to know why and what I am doing rather than just following the instructions.. which is taking me a bit of time ...so many acronyms!

Just aiming to get some more feel and depth back into the music..

Rustynut
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Rustynut » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:31 pm

I don't seem to have to options in the coding in 3002 one :cry:

HEAVYD
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by HEAVYD » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:50 pm

What does it list?

Rustynut
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Rustynut » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:57 pm

HEAVYD wrote:What does it list?
all i got was this

HEAVYD
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by HEAVYD » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:02 pm

You need to be in the head unit section, looks like that's for the sound composer.

HEAVYD
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Coding from base stereo to HiFi (F22)

Post by HEAVYD » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:03 pm

I think mine was the HU_CHAMP. That section looks like it's for the sound composer. Someone with more knowledge will be along soon no doubt

Rustynut
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Rustynut » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:28 pm

HEAVYD wrote:I think mine was the HU_CHAMP. That section looks like it's for the sound composer. Someone with more knowledge will be along soon no doubt
Ok cheers

Return to “Coding/Software”