BMW Price increase announced

Home of our Tame Sales Manager .... and his great deals

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196, TRL

Paradroid888

Re: BMW Price increase announced

Post by Paradroid888 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Damn it I was on the verge of ordering an m140i (quite possibly from you Tony), was just waiting on my local dealer to get me a test drive as I've never had a go in one. Balls.

godzilla
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by godzilla » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Jon P wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:54 pm
godzilla wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:45 pm
Bummer. That's going to send nearly all but the most poverty spec M240s over £40k and you might have to be stingy on the options on M140s too, if you want to avoid another £1200 (?) in extra road tax over the first few years.

So BMW will honour the old prices on orders already placed?
Tax is calculated of the cost price the day before the car is registered so if your car isn’t registered on the 1 st of March you will hit any higher prices. This will likely affect my order 😢 so either have to remove an option or two or stuff it and just add extra if there’s still time. Tony will kill me. What a pain. Alternative perhaps Tony could get my car hurried along for the 1st of March...surely he has the power. 😜
What? So even if the actual price you contracted for (and pay) is below the threshold, if the new list price is above, then it's clobberin' time?
That is massively unfair if that's the way it works out... :evil:
Shadow Edition w/719M wheels, Manual, Estoril Blue/Cognac, full Maxton bodykit, M Perf interior bits,
full Akrapovic, M4 LCAs, Quaife

Watch my YouTube vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidYu2007

Vyrrt

Post by Vyrrt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:58 am

I guess it's a wait and see job now. Tony hasn't indicated what kind of increase it's going to be, but judging by his reaction to it - it's going to be substantial. Hopefully it's not too long until he has more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:48 am

TRL wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:40 pm
Hi Guys. I am afraid that Brexit has finally caught up with us and after 12 months without a price increase.... BMW have announced that there
will be a price increase from 1st March.
This means that unless you have ordered your car already, you will need to tear up those old quotes and sit tight until all of our systems
are updated in a week or so.
I will leave my PCP cost guide up but they are somewhat redundant now.... use as a guide only.

I clearly will be unable to run any quotes until the new figures appear. Details to follow.

I don't think there's a correlation to Brexit Tony. Sterling is trading above 2010 levels against the Euro. As sterling rose against the Euro, I don't recall any price cuts from BMW. It just increased their margin. The UK is one of the highest margin markets for German car manufacturers.

I believe that this is a 'normal' annual price rise, that we've seen from auto manufacturers, since the year dot. Nothing to see here. :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

AdamC
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AdamC » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 am

godzilla wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 pm

What? So even if the actual price you contracted for (and pay) is below the threshold, if the new list price is above, then it's clobberin' time?
That is massively unfair if that's the way it works out... :evil:
You got it. It's :censored: but that's the way it is.
They use the list price for the car at the time of taxing the vehicle, not the time it was ordered.
2015 LCI M135i - AW - Coral - Auto - HK - Pro Nav & More -

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:09 pm

Just to be clear, this isn't just about Road Fund Licence Tax, it massively affects P11D figures (mentioned by Tony) for company car tax too as you can't take actual price paid into account even when purchasing second hand.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

TRL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TRL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Some updates.

Price increase on M140 is around £770/£790 and on M240 around £950.
Some options have gone up too... cruise control on the M240 is now £400 not £360
most options go up around £10 to £20 on average.

good news is that there is price protection on orders placed by 25th JAN... and delivered by 30th June.
that's very sensible I feel. So get the orders in!

however I have no news as of yet on the cost of road tax effected by the increase.
The question is will the DVLA take it on the price of the actual car or take a blanket approach and use the manufacturers list price
published as of 1st March..... if its the latter then a lot of customers will trip over the £40K barrier and get clobbered in year 2 onward.
"I don't sell cars, I sell dreams, :mrgreen:
M140 Motech Edition M.002 (for work); M2 M-DCT LCI (for FUN) :D .

TRL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TRL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:45 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:48 am
TRL wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:40 pm
Hi Guys. I am afraid that Brexit has finally caught up with us and after 12 months without a price increase.... BMW have announced that there
will be a price increase from 1st March.
This means that unless you have ordered your car already, you will need to tear up those old quotes and sit tight until all of our systems
are updated in a week or so.
I will leave my PCP cost guide up but they are somewhat redundant now.... use as a guide only.

I clearly will be unable to run any quotes until the new figures appear. Details to follow.

I don't think there's a correlation to Brexit Tony. Sterling is trading above 2010 levels against the Euro. As sterling rose against the Euro, I don't recall any price cuts from BMW. It just increased their margin. The UK is one of the highest margin markets for German car manufacturers.

I believe that this is a 'normal' annual price rise, that we've seen from auto manufacturers, since the year dot. Nothing to see here. :)
Yes you are right. They have termed it as an economical price increase.... I was using Brexit to be topical... that back fired then! haha!
Indeed funny how prices only tend to only go against you but never in favour.
"I don't sell cars, I sell dreams, :mrgreen:
M140 Motech Edition M.002 (for work); M2 M-DCT LCI (for FUN) :D .

KenC
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by KenC » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 pm

What is the position on the M2 increase Tony? I enquired before the systems were updated this morning and was told it would only be £260/70. Seems more likely to be over £1k.

danjwood

Post by danjwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 pm

:shock:
Last edited by danjwood on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aw149

Post by aw149 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi Tony, any idea how this will effect the monthly payments?

I've been wanting to order an M140 since I had a 3 day demo in November for fun through work, but I was completely sold by the time I handed it back! I've only been waiting because I'm due to complete on my house purchase in the next few weeks and didn't want to complicate things with the mortgage company by having credits checks for car finance before then!

Achinbones2812

Post by Achinbones2812 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Surely the mrrp on your invoice at time of purchase is what the DVLA should go off?

Vyrrt

Post by Vyrrt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Achinbones2812 wrote:Surely the mrrp on your invoice at time of purchase is what the DVLA should go off?
List price at point if registration is what is used for tax purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Achinbones2812

Post by Achinbones2812 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:35 pm

So in theory if I bought a car for 39999 mrrp on february 29th. The prices go up on 1st March to 42000 mrrp. The car gets registered. According to the DVLA my car would of appreciated in value.🤔

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Ezzra wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:48 am

Nail on the head.

I think Brexit gets thrown around far too much these days as an excuse to raise prices.

Return to “TRL @ Berry Heathrow BMW”