Need serious advice on buying a m240i New vs Old

Home of our Tame Sales Manager .... and his great deals

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196, TRL

jeffj

Need serious advice on buying a m240i New vs Old

Post by jeffj » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi guys my first post here.

Im currently looking into buying an M240i and would like some serious help on which path to take. My confusion is regarding buying a new one or a used one. Planning to PCP either one.

Will going for a newer car mean I would loose more money in the long run due to depreciation? I don't exactly intend to keep the car past 3-4 years and I do very low mileage per year (3-4k). Specially considering a m235i used with 20-25k on the clock costs like 18-20k?

Any advice is really appreciated. I realise one is post and the other is pre LCI but i care more about the performance of the car. Also should i consider an m235i as its not that far off from an m240i.

Cheers,
Jeff

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Need serious advice on buying a m240i New vs Old

Post by sawda » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 am

Buying a new car you will loose way more money. I was I was in the same position a few weeks back and decided to just buy new. The discounts on new vs a year or two old seemed to close the gap. You will have a brand new car to your spec and also additional warranty so risk of buying a thrashed dud is significantly reduced. With this in mind, plus a facelifted shadow line model made sense to do thw switch. I was just comparing m140s. As for the n55 engine i actually prefer it tbh, although b58 seems to be more economical and we got ours a s a daily. Got the n55 engine too and i think its a pretty decent engine with a lot more character, although thag may be partly due to it being in an m2. Anyway good luck either way, your not in a bad position whichever way you look at it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited by sawda on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 am

As you're financing, how do the APR's compare for new vs old?

If you're doing the maths for monthly payments, don't forget to factor in a warranty, MOT's, and service items such as brakes on the used car. Probably won't need any of that on a new 3 year PCP.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

MrMarty
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MrMarty » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:14 am

Ordinarily used takes 1st of 3 years of depreciation out of the way in form of saving to new and pre-reg's take a hit also.

However... with M240i's the used market is buoyant and (in this idiot's eyes) having a custom, sensibly specced new car makes the most sense especially with a deal like the ones on display by Mr TRL. He gives you pre-reg discounts (without the 'previous owner' and higher APR) and those discounts are that good that they eat well into year 1 depreciation and you get to choose the ideal spec.

3.9% APR on PCP atm is almost bank rate offer good and with the allowances means if I were buying a 240i soon it'd be new... probably from Tony.

(this post is not in any way sponsored by Berry Heathrow)

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Coast2coast, what car, car wow, TRL all seem to do similar deals new, which my dealer quickly matched..... TRL never replied so went elsewhere... 3 weeks until collection. Seeing a few people suffering from early b58 whine issues make me even hapoier to have a newer (and hopefully) sorted model. Still it is a lot of money and will will no doubt save 10k getting a year or two old. With such low mileage useage resiuals should be way better.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Return to “TRL @ Berry Heathrow BMW”