Baby BMW Forum banner

The Gas Station - Episode 1

8K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  MrMarty 
#1 ·
Hi Guys. As some of you know Joe Achilles and myself decided to have a go at making our own show.
We decided to invite a few friends and guests down to the showroom one late November evening...

we shot this in one take, without scripts and with only a few rough ideas and videos to show.
One of our guests arrived 5 mins before filming started.... forcing us to move all of the cars just before the filming started.

Joe shot the whole thing using 5 cameras and a few mics. Its taken Joe an age to edit out all of the non-PC bits
and overlay the whole lot with some degree of skill and a hell of a lot of man hours. Big shout to him!

We honestly don't know how you guys will react to it... all we ask is that you remember that we had a budget of £101.55
no scripts and not a single production team in sight!

The next one will be better for sure... and a provisional date for this will be WEDS MARCH 21st..... (as Joe Achilles is off to OZ for a month)

Enjoy. and be kind!

See less See more
#3 ·
Really enjoyed it
Five blokes laughing and winding each other up
Great shots of the 140i
Looked stunning. And you would get sales from it
Quite natural setting and the audience was relaxed infront of the camera

Slightly smaller table to sit round amd camera a bit lower over the table for more facial shots

Joe was so excitable and worthy to join clarkson

#5 ·
marco_polo said:
Good stuff, some slightly better microphones and you'll have a hit on your hands. :cool2:
Yup.... we struggled as we could not get mics for the audience to hear and record at the right level.
we ended up shouting.
Boss has said we can spend some money for the sound equipment so def fix. cheers!

#6 ·
Lordharding said:
Really enjoyed it
Five blokes laughing and winding each other up
Great shots of the 140i
Looked stunning. And you would get sales from it
Quite natural setting and the audience was relaxed infront of the camera

Slightly smaller table to sit round amd camera a bit lower over the table for more facial shots

Joe was so excitable and worthy to join clarkson
Thank you for the feedback LH... yep Joes on the case and said the same thing... the only fixed item is the table.. its huge.
we will play more with the layout for sure.... we all forget we were filming it !!!

#9 ·
I make you right.. .it was long at 55mins... mind you we were talking for 2 hours so edited a lot out!

I personally want to see a format where we have maybe 2-3 quality guests, 5 min chat with each and then perhaps a bit more
of their video content to balance up the chatting.

the sound and edit will improve as we will use less cameras and better angles etc.
hopefully you will enjoy episode 2 which we plan to film on Weds 24th Jan.

#11 ·
Yeah enjoyable first effort. Time for the difficult second follow up. a outside video might help.a review/first drive/ comparison. I know this is not your day jobs so I'm amazed you have any time to do this. Perhaps I might be able to get to one.

#12 ·
Enjoyed watching the first episode and will watch the next 100%

Nothing more to comment on from what's already been highlighted (mics and editing )

The Motech edition 140 looks fantastic.

Congrats and well done to all involved

#15 ·
Really enjoyed this guys, good balance of guests too. TRL a natural (co)host, well done fella.

As far as audio goes, I don't think any amount of retail equipment or editing software will perfect it. It is the natural trade off filming such a thing in a car dealership. Top Gear (filmed in a hangar) has similar audio traits, whereas Grand Tour (filmed in a tent) is a more sound deadening environment.

Get yourselves down to Go Outdoors if you want to fix it. :lol2:

Anyway, will look forward to the next one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.