Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196, TRL

fufty1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: TRL own M140 project

Post by fufty1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:08 am

TRL wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:51 pm
No I bailed on the idea of a manual with my M140 so switched my order to an Auto.
Never ended up with a Manual.
My Shadow is about to arrive at the end of the month...soon to be advertised as available to first person
who wants it.... going to be marmite for most though as I went 3 door in Sunburnt orange with oyster leather!

I must admit I am now torn... on the one hand I loved my M140 and the idea of a brand new shadow to my ideal spec
is so appealing. The manual M2 that I have recently been "running in" (just a terrible part of my job) actually put me off M2's
but then this M2 M-DCT landed in my lap at an affordable price..... and I know it will be better than the manual ( I think!)
And being a white M2 its going to look the nuts when I fit the MP carbon kit and exhaust.... :?
Tony,

what did you not like about the manual? Interested as I didn't get on with the auto (sublime gearbox thought, just not for me) so currently chopping my auto m135i in for a manual m240i.
Current: M240i manual EB with cognac.
Gone: m135i auto MG

TRL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TRL » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:19 pm

fufty1 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:08 am
TRL wrote:
No I bailed on the idea of a manual with my M140 so switched my order to an Auto.
My Shadow is about to arrive at the end of the month...soon to be advertised as available to first person
who wants it.... going to be marmite for most though as I went 3 door in Sunburnt orange with oyster leather!

I must admit I am now torn... on the one hand I loved my M140 and the idea of a brand new shadow to my ideal spec
is so appealing. The manual M2 that I have recently been "running in" (just a terrible part of my job) actually put me off M2's
but then this M2 M-DCT landed in my lap at an affordable price..... and I know it will be better than the manual ( I think!)
And being a white M2 its going to look the nuts when I fit the MP carbon kit and exhaust.... :?
Tony,

what did you not like about the manual? Interested as I didn't get on with the auto (sublime gearbox thought, just not for me) so currently chopping my auto m135i in for a manual m240i.
Personal reasons more than anything, so don't worry.
I had a manual M235i back in 2014 and fitted the LSD and MP kit on it. With the MPE it sounded lovely.
What happened this time was I convinced myself I would do track days and fast road driving so planned to go manual M140... then after a few weeks
I realised that when I do drive it I will be mainly on the M25 or in traffic... and for that the Auto is a no brainer.
A manual car is more analogue and tactile without a doubt, you have an extra connection, and more control.
the downsides for me are the fact that 1st gear is a bit short, and it feels like you need to grab 2nd asap, and that's about it.
I actually liked the gear change and there was no issue with the clutch as its nicely weighted. so go ahead. no issue.
"I don't sell cars, I sell thin air, as we have run out of cars"..... :mrgreen:
530d xDrive M Sport (for work); inbound M140 Shadow Edition 3dr (for FUN) :D .

TRL
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by TRL » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:26 pm

CJ92 wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 pm
TRL wrote:

Now you mention it I do recall now that you opted for the auto after first considering the manual.

Have to say I am really enjoying my M140i and although I could be tempted into an M2 the head is over ruling the heart 3 - 1 at the present time.

However I will be following your time in the M2 with interest and it would be nice to have first refusal
when you decide to let go.. :wink:
I shall run her in gentle and give plenty of updates on the M2.... and note your interest for when my time is up!
"I don't sell cars, I sell thin air, as we have run out of cars"..... :mrgreen:
530d xDrive M Sport (for work); inbound M140 Shadow Edition 3dr (for FUN) :D .

Return to “TRL @ Berry Heathrow BMW”