Baby BMW Forum banner

TRL own M140 project

46K views 75 replies 31 participants last post by  TRL 
#1 ·
Well its official (I wont be cancelling my order this time.... honest!)...

I have decided to stop messing around and crush my Renault fetish (I think I can call it that, on the basis that since 1988 I have owned
3 Renault 21 Turbos, a pair of Renault 5 Turbo 2s (hot, no brakes and break down a lot), A Renault 5 GT turbo (hot, OK brakes but also break down a lot), Clio Williams 3, A pair of 182 Trophy's, 3 Clio V6s (one with an exhaust so loud I stopped driving it) , a Clio 197 Cup,
a Clio 197 F1 Edition (my favourite), Clio 200 FF, Clio 200 Silverstone GP edition, Clio 200 FF again, Megane R26.R (just 4 of those) and then
recently Megane 275 Trophy R ....and now a Megane 275 Cup-S.... and breathe)...

So what did I go for?
M140 3 door (just love that frameless door, sod the kids)
AW with Coral Red (Sarf London)
Sports Automatic ( SORRY MARCO I bottled it at the last minute...... blame Joe Achilles).

Adaptive M Suspension, Sun Pro glass, HFS, HK, Driver Comfort package with front PDC
and the latest Pro Media Package. And that's it....

With a TRL deal it should come out quite reasonable. :lol2:
I plan to throw some MP bits at it.
I fancy some wheels like the one on my mates 125i

I want to get it sorted for some track days and touring, comforts not high on my agenda as I have the M3
Comp pack as my everyday car (well its more compliant now I have got rid of the 3.5 bar tyre pressure that my PDI guys
left in... on purpose).
So I am going to pick Marcos brains. reduce some weight (car not driver) so thinking along the lines of
Eibach, possibly the LSD, and some new alloys with some very sticky rubber for track days, standard wheels with the MPSS
for normal days.

I plan to blog it on here throughout the duration..... I am off now to hound the product genius as to when my car will arrive!!!!

Roll on week 42..... :spotman:

See less See more
#2 ·
Surely you of all people should be able to pick the brains of the boys from Bavaria, and should be in a position to educate MP, not take lessons from him :?: :lol2:

#3 ·
Rob's running Pro Race wheels which are nice and light, 1.2's in 18x8 ET40 are a good fit (but do restrict you to 245mm max tyre width). Oz Ultraleggera are well worth a goose too. Have you seen Jimbob (local to us) is selling his CH-R's?
Were you thinking Mich Cup 2's / Yoko AD08R, or something stickier still like an R888?

How far are you going with the modifying? If it's track only use, I'd sack off the Adaptive Damper option and fit a set of Ohlins if budget will allow?

M4 LCA's and TS work well to give you enough front negative camber (custom shims are needed to fit the M4's Tension Struts - but it's not a biggie).

You can aid cooling by losing the engine cover and removing the rear engine bay seal, just allows the air to flow around the engine. I think the brake ducts should be open on an LCI, but I'd double check. I'd also remove the driver's grab handle to give you a little more helmet clearance.

Any plans for an engine tune?

Do you have a plan for the brakes? I like RBF600 fluid, and Carbotech XP8 pads work well on track (bit squealy / glazy around town though). Others prefer Endless pads, or even one of the hotter 'sport' compounds from the M4 ( BMW part number 34112284765 ).

#4 ·
If for any reason you don't go for the Ohlins, what about the M Sport springs (designed for adaptive dampers) that come with new bump stops/secondary springs? I'd be interested in those if I was having a M140. They lower the car about the same as Eibachs.

Paul

#5 ·
Got Ohlins on my Megane tbh. Impressed but reality is its too much faff for me to adjust them. Need a remote control!

I have some ideas now guys so thanks. Need to go find me some customers so I can spend more money :D

#7 ·
TRL said:

I have decided to stop messing around and crush my Renault fetish (I think I can call it that, on the basis that since 1988 I have owned
3 Renault 21 Turbos, a pair of Renault 5 Turbo 2s (hot, no brakes and break down a lot), A Renault 5 GT turbo (hot, OK brakes but also break down a lot), Clio Williams 3, A pair of 182 Trophy's, 3 Clio V6s (one with an exhaust so loud I stopped driving it) , a Clio 197 Cup,
a Clio 197 F1 Edition (my favourite), Clio 200 FF, Clio 200 Silverstone GP edition, Clio 200 FF again, Megane R26.R (just 4 of those) and then

So what did I go for?
MANUAL (to Stop Marco taking the pee out of me)

Adaptive M Suspension, Sun Pro glass, HFS, HK, Driver Comfort package with front PDC

I want to get it sorted for some track days and touring, comforts not high on my agenda as I have the M3
Comp pack as my everyday car (well its more compliant now I have got rid of the 3.5 bar tyre pressure that my PDI guys
left in... on purpose).
So I am going to pick Marcos brains. reduce some weight (car not driver) so thinking along the lines of
Eibach, possibly the LSD, and some new alloys with some very sticky rubber for track days, standard wheels with the MPSS
for normal days.

I plan to blog it on here throughout the duration..... I am off now to hound the product genius as to when my car will arrive!!!!

Good stuff Tony - No F20 squeaky door issue for you then and you decided on eighties spec. Interior! Good options :thumbs:

I was always an Italian car driver with a long list of Lancia, Fiat and mainly Alfa Romeo's owned - Then BMW started tempting me due to lock of italian offerings currently. Was considering the Giulia but then the pricing was released, so I then contacted you for M140i deal :D

#8 ·
DougieM said:
TRL said:

So what did I go for?
MANUAL (to Stop Marco taking the pee out of me)

left in... on purpose).
for normal days.

Good stuff Tony - No F20 squeaky door issue for you then and you decided on eighties spec. Interior! Good options :thumbs:

I was always an Italian car driver with a long list of Lancia, Fiat and mainly Alfa Romeo's owned - Then BMW started tempting me due to lock of italian offerings currently. Was considering the Giulia but then the pricing was released, so I then contacted you for M140i deal :D
Giulia...... you know I had a look at the one down at Goodwood FoS..... and then I saw the EVO video of it..... now I want one!!!
but alas I would have to go and Manage a dealership in order to get near one at that price.....

#9 ·
So my car is now 9605 and due at Southampton any day now.
I have ordered myself an MPE that should arrive around the 30th all being well. just over a £1000 with chrome tips.
I have also ordered the Kidney grilles and foils and pedal set.
And last night I ordered an AC Shnitzy roof spoiler which I will have painted.

more to follow....

#10 ·
TRL said:
So my car is now 9605 and due at Southampton any day now.
I have ordered myself an MPE that should arrive around the 30th all being well. just over a £1000 with chrome tips.
I have also ordered the Kidney grilles and foils and pedal set.

more to follow....
Has the MPE gone up a bit since the LCI. That seems expensive, I can't remember paying that much for mine new.

#11 ·
New MPE costs more, seen some pics of the rear box and can see where the money has gone.

Deals on M3/M4 are nothing like they were, plus no stock out there to speak off.

#13 ·
CJ92 said:
TRL said:

more to follow....
Really enhances that rear roof line..
Yep, someone I know sent me a picture of it and I was hooked, :lol2:

#20 ·
Day 23.... the housemates have all been teasing TRL, apparently his car has been delayed and wont be arriving Friday 30th
as the PDI centre have a problem with the left kidney grille .... :eek2: :(
Do they know who I am ? :lol2:

So.... at least the AC Schnitzer roof spoiler has finally arrived. Opened it with the body shop manager for inspection. it comes primed which is nice,
however we found a lot of pit marks and holes. its going to take some work to get the finish I will want. Should be painted before the car arrives at least.... nice collection of different coloured AC labels to fit in the recess each side, but the adhesive supplied is not as strong as windscreen bond
so we are going to use that instead.

Having tried the MP alcantara steering wheel on an M4 I have going out tomorrow, I think that I will soon be spending £600 odd there, as it transforms the feel of the wheel for me. Plus prevents those pains in the fingers in winter (yes I know a heated steering wheel is cheaper)...

The we need some MP metal pedals to brighten up the gloomy foot wells.

Looks like the M140 MPE wont be out until mid-December now which is a shame, so I am swapping my black trims with a forum customer who
wants black ones on his 340 touring and I will have his chrome ones. Saved us both £80 there.....

#23 ·
TRL said:
Having tried the MP alcantara steering wheel on an M4 I have going out tomorrow, I think that I will soon be spending £600 odd there, as it transforms the feel of the wheel for me. Plus prevents those pains in the fingers in winter (yes I know a heated steering wheel is cheaper)...
Have you seen 'Royal Steering Wheels' They can just re-trim your original wheel or any specific parts of it in alcantara and will be FAR cheaper than the MP steering wheel. An example of an f20 wheel below...

TRL said:
Looks like the M140 MPE wont be out until mid-December now which is a shame.....
Doesn't the M135i MP exhaust Fit? Think i've heard that floating around.

#24 ·
Jibbotson said:
TRL said:
Have you seen 'Royal Steering Wheels' They can just re-trim your original wheel or any specific parts of it in alcantara and will be FAR cheaper than the MP steering wheel. An example of an f20 wheel below...

TRL said:
Looks like the M140 MPE wont be out until mid-December now which is a shame.....
Doesn't the M135i MP exhaust Fit? Think i've heard that floating around.
That looks incredible... Any idea how much? How much fatter does it make the wheel, as I find the normal thickness ideal?

#25 ·
1mag1n3 said:
That looks incredible... Any idea how much? How much fatter does it make the wheel, as I find the normal thickness ideal?
I think I remember someone saying it was £150-200 depending on material choices, extras like a coloured ring at the 12'clock position, multiple colour stitching ect.

I don't think it makes it thicker because they replace the leather so in theory would be the same, but worth sending them a message to double check.

#26 ·
Jibbotson said:
1mag1n3 said:
I think I remember someone saying it was £150-200 depending on material choices, extras like a coloured ring at the 12'clock position, multiple colour stitching ect.

I don't think it makes it thicker because they replace the leather so in theory would be the same, but worth sending them a message to double check.
I have sent them an email - will let you know what they reply back with. Thanks for the info though! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.