Minor creak and MPE exhaust rattle

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Minor creak and MPE exhaust rattle

Post by YaoNg » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 am

Two things that have been playing on my mind this week.

When driving with my windows up and no music I can hear a creak quite regularly from the top of the dashboard in front of my steering wheel (right by the window). I can't hear it with windows down or stereo on but now winter is approaching I know it will bother me. My M235i was absolutely silent and I've read on various threads that people felt the 2-series was better built than the 1-series. Any thoughts?

On cold starts, my exhaust is loud but I've noticed it sounds like it's slightly loose. After a while it calms down and it's fine driving around normally but curious if anyone else has had this or in fact, it's normal. I'll try and record it later, but by chance I've been invited to the dealership on Sunday for an M Performance event (Brighton) so I might get them to look at this and the creak. I am aware of the various discussions that have happened in the sibling sections of this forum, but haven't heard anything from any M2 owners.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed any of the above.
Last edited by YaoNg on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Minor creak and exhaust rattle

Post by sawda » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:19 am

YaoNg wrote:Two things that have been playing on my mind this week.

When driving with my windows up and no music I can hear a creak quite regularly from the top of the dashboard in front of my steering wheel (right by the window). I can't hear it with windows down or stereo on but now winter is approaching I know it will bother me. My M235i was absolutely silent and I've read on various threads that people felt the 2-series was better built than the 1-series. Any thoughts?

On cold starts, my exhaust is loud but I've noticed it sounds like it's slightly loose. After a while it calms down and it's fine driving around normally but curious if anyone else has had this or in fact, it's normal. I'll try and record it later, but by chance I've been invited to the dealership on Sunday for an M Performance event (Brighton) so I might get them to look at this and the creak. I am aware of the various discussions that have happened in the sibling sections of this forum, but haven't heard anything from any M2 owners.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed any of the above.
My exhaust had a rattle. Its normal for it to rattle a bit on cold start. Mine rattled when hitting 3,500 rpm, the bellow from the remus didnt help. Anywah after much back amd forth from bmw there is a puma case open to replace the backing discs on the breaks. No rattle amd sounds awesome now.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:17 pm

sawda wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:19 am
My exhaust had a rattle. Its normal for it to rattle a bit on cold start. Mine rattled when hitting 3,500 rpm, the bellow from the remus didnt help. Anywah after much back amd forth from bmw there is a puma case open to replace the backing discs on the breaks. No rattle amd sounds awesome now.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Thanks for that. I'll feed that to the technician working on my car. He says it's actually hard to diagnose as it's so loud under the car.

The creak I was getting from the dashboard was diagnosed and he found a BMW technical article for it. Unfortunately, it's quite involved and he's had to remove the window and some of the dash to fix it. I'm a little bit worried more creaks will appear now, but at least they know that I'm bothered by this sort of stuff.
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:28 pm

:lol: Not sure if anyone cares, but I'm posting updates for anyone else that might experience this.

The only issue I have now is the exhaust rattle. My car has gone back to Chandlers Brighton for a second visit as the engineer is keen to do whatever he can. He agrees that the volume is double what it should be on a cold start due to the rattle. I'm now driving a brand new 420 convertible although I said its the wrong time of the year for it. :lol:

My MPE was slightly longer on one side than the other which meant the tips were fitted differently to ensure they were aligned perfectly. Initially it was thought this could be the cause of the rattle as removing the tips silenced the rattle, but a new MPE has now been fitted and although it also suffers a discrepancy in lengths it's not as severe and the rattle is still present if not slightly reduced.

The current thought is that it's not the manufacturing discrepancy but the tips that could be the cause and as the new ones are pushed back as far as possible and the rattle is still present. Similar to the first time round it's expected it will get worse over time.

So, it's ongoing with a PUMA case and there is a regional technical director in town this week so there is hope he will take a look as well.

Yao

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:05 pm

So, it looks like there isn't much that can be done for the moment. I will raise a complaint with BMW Customer Service purely about the fact that buying a performance exhaust for better sound should not rattle like this. I think the fact that other MPEs don't do this (M235i MPE was flawless) and that people are upgrading their x35/x40s to MPEs to resolve the stock rattle is a good comparison for the issue I have.

The engineer I used was excellent and his personal opinion is the same as mine. It's not acceptable but he can't do anymore. This is the response I received today...

"I've had a look at the car this morning with our Regional Technical Director. He has informed me that they are aware of this concern from customers, and there is an on going investigation into it. They are however suggesting at this point that it is consistent with other M2's with the MPE fitted, and as such there is not currently a cure for the noise, it is just a feature of the exhaust.

They have replaced exhausts for previous customers, in some cases the noise was rectified for a period of time before returning and in other cases it was present immediately when fitting the new exhaust - as is the case with your car. They have also tried the Titanium tips and found that they are similar. There was also a suggestion that any cars that do not exhibit the noise will do at some point.

[The regional technical director] also informed me that actually there was a noise complaint with the factory exhausts, again this was put down to 'normal' operation. I think at this point we will have to accept BMW's decision, which is ultimately it is a sports car with performance accessories which may compromise comfort for performance.

Of course if you are not happy with this decision you can speak directly to BMW customer services, but I cant do anymore from here. I will of course check with [the regional technical director] periodically to see if they have made any progress with it, but there are a number of factors that determine how much BMW work towards a resolution, if at all.

I have made some adjustments to the exhaust this morning and improved the noise considerably, I think given that it's not possible to eliminate it completely it is now at an acceptable level."

I'm still happy with my MPE, but for the time being the cold starts may have a loud rattle to it.

692DPG
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Minor creak and MPE exhaust rattle

Post by 692DPG » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks for the update - even though I don't have an MPE it's useful to understand BMW's position in these cases.

Dave
2017 (67) F87 M2 LCI
Mineral Grey/Black

Retired
2007 (57) E92 M3 Manual MR/Black
2003 (03) E46 M3 SMG CB/Imola
2013 (13) M135i EB/Blk
2005 (55) 130i MSport TS/Blk

1997 (R) Z3 2.8 Roadster - weekender
Hell Red/Red/Black Z3M leather - manual

Deadeye
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Deadeye » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:46 pm

This thing behind the dash - is it an irregular snap sound? Like your hitting random massive bumble-Bees on the windscreen?
F20 M135i - most toys
F80 M3 - even more toys - gone!
F87 M2 - most toys

Tell others about your car buying experience by writing a car dealer review at http://www.carbuyingadvisor.co.uk

Dajonah
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Dajonah » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:46 pm

[/quote]

The creak I was getting from the dashboard was diagnosed and he found a BMW technical article for it. Unfortunately, it's quite involved and he's had to remove the window and some of the dash to fix it. I'm a little bit worried more creaks will appear now, but at least they know that I'm bothered by this sort of stuff.
[/quote]

Was the creaking/ cracking noise anything to do with a spot weld by any chance?
Gone f20 m135i auto,estoril blue,Corel red
Gone e92 320d msport alpine White,Corel red,19s

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:47 am

Deadeye wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:46 pm
This thing behind the dash - is it an irregular snap sound? Like your hitting random massive bumble-Bees on the windscreen?
It was a like a snap / loud creak, but definitely NOT like bumble bees on the windscreen. A creak is probably the best way to describe it.
Dajonah wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:46 pm

Was the creaking/ cracking noise anything to do with a spot weld by any chance?
I don't know but he said it was related to the corner section which can be slightly loose and needs to be firmed up or secured better. I'll ask the engineer and get back to you.

Return to “F87 M2”