Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Beware the price crash...

Post by OneTwenty » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Andy OH wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:19 pm
OneTwenty wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:39 am
As above I would swap mine for an M2 in a heartbeat assuming running costs are similar.

However, the main area mine beats an M2 is in it's Q-car-ness, I just don't think I would be comfortable with the shoutyness of an M2. We were outside the pub recently and an M2 rumbled past slowly and you could almost taste the disdain from all the people sat outside tutting and shaking their heads, except me and my boy that were very happy to see it. :D
Why would people shake their heads and tut at a car driving past slowly, probably had a MPE fitted. This is so common that a noisy car gives the impression of being driven fast.

I agree with Deadeye, I've only received positive comments since owning the M2 since March.

This may sound derogatory but I'd also like to add that the majority of people jumping from a M2 to a M140i probably bought the car on a PCP and are paying handsomely on a monthly basis where a M140i is considerably cheaper. Yes there isn't much difference in the real world power and torque between a M140i and a M2 but I know what I would rather be driving.
I'm not sure why people shake heads, it just seems to be a thing where I live - even when I give mine a slight accelerate with some pops/bangs but still under 30 I get the wrong type of attention. Maybe you guys are down South where attitudes to cars could be different I guess? :?:

As for PCP/running costs I'm not sure that's the case. I could comfortably afford to run an M2 instead of my 240, I think the two that Tony had in last week were only £40/month more than my optioned 240 costs me. But as I said it's the shoutyness that put me off, same with M3/M4 etc, as well as the fact when I ordered mine the waiting list for an M2 was too long, up to 18 months. Also, I panic enough just parking my relatively under the radar 240 in tesco etc, if I had an M2 I would just never take it anywhere for fear of it being damaged. :lol:

Most of the M2 owners round here, and strangely there seems to be a lot for a small Northern town/village, seem to be either company owners or young kids with rich parents. ;)
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm

CJ92 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:03 pm
wenklaw wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:16 pm
CJ92 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:08 pm

So where's his LCI.. :wink:
The entire thread is becoming very tiresome, posts are becoming the stuff of 'internet trolls'. Thread could do with being locked IMO
Why because others express a different opinion to yours.. :roll:
Not at all, people have different opinions, I am grateful to others with them as they guided me to my M135i in the first place. I am referring to your comments that are IMO which I am entitled to are on the verge of goading M2 owners, no need for it.

Someone mentioned running costs for an M2 being significantly more than an mlite. 3 to 4 years ownership will cost around £300 extra in servicing costs and that's if you actually didn't get it as part of the purchase (yes you can also get it free on mlite deals), my point being it isn't really or a massive amount. After 4 years yes parts will be dearer but most people on here going down the PCP route with both mlites and m2's its not really applicable. Not sure how much more an extended warranty would be?

CaptFish

Post by CaptFish » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:51 pm

I just want an M car, because I always wanted one!!! I am under no illusion that an M-lite would hand been the mite sensible choice.
Although I also think the M with the wife body looks better.

cadmunkey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by cadmunkey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm

CaptFish wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:51 pm
Although I also think the M with the wife body looks better.
Depends whose wife :lol:

CaptFish

Post by CaptFish » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:12 pm

:lol: must have been a Freudian slip, courtesy of text prediction. My phone knows too much about me!

CJ92

Post by CJ92 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:30 pm

wenklaw wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Not at all, people have different opinions, I am grateful to others with them as they guided me to my M135i in the first place. I am referring to your comments that are IMO which I am entitled to are on the verge of goading M2 owners, no need for it.
Someone mentioned running costs for an M2 being significantly more than an mlite. 3 to 4 years ownership will cost around £300 extra in servicing costs and that's if you actually didn't get it as part of the purchase (yes you can also get it free on mlite deals), my point being it isn't really or a massive amount. After 4 years yes parts will be dearer but most people on here going down the PCP route with both mlites and m2's its not really applicable. Not sure how much more an extended warranty would be?
No not goading anyone at all and anyone who has met me will know that is not my style. I appreciate the M2 is far more driver focused than the MLites as indeed it should be and at no point have I said otherwise.
I have considered M2 ownership myself as Tony can confirm, but it's not the extra outlay that puts me off or running costs, it's would I be able to live with it as my daily hack.
Unfortunately I don't think I could unlike my previous M135i's and current M140i, which works as my daily very well.

As regard prices time will tell how the M2 and MLites values are affected. Personally I think the more of these cars that are sold then we will see values drop. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.
Just another 1series. :)

Samp4856
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Samp4856 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 pm

You say it’s just an mlite...

But let’s be honest

The m2 isn’t a full m car? I love my m2 but my god it’s flawed as a daily, I was really hopeing it would be something special and I don’t know, every time I drive it I’m just left feeling a little numb, on the track it’s fantastic again apaprt from its standard brakes, but on the road the mlite is just that bit easier to live with, I honestly do think though that if I’d of got a manual I’d love the car a lot more and I dare say I wouldn’t be selling it. Ohh well live and learn.
m140 Zf with MPE, sold it for an M2 DCT, selling the M2 to get back into a 140 Shadow edition, some call me crazy, i say try to live with an m2 round here!

Samp4856
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Samp4856 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:52 am

Deadeye wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:57 am
CJ92 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am
I think it says alot when the guy who sells these cars for a living (Yep thats you Tony) sold his M2 six or so months in and ordered himself another new M140i.. :lol:
No it doesn't. TRL made it perfectly clear why he traded back.
He had the same issue as me, just didn’t bond/gel with the car, it’s a great car, just not for me, but obviously that’s just a personal opinion.
m140 Zf with MPE, sold it for an M2 DCT, selling the M2 to get back into a 140 Shadow edition, some call me crazy, i say try to live with an m2 round here!

Samp4856
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Samp4856 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:02 am

Kerr wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:05 pm
Andy OH wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:19 pm
OneTwenty wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:39 am
As above I would swap mine for an M2 in a heartbeat assuming running costs are similar.

However, the main area mine beats an M2 is in it's Q-car-ness, I just don't think I would be comfortable with the shoutyness of an M2. We were outside the pub recently and an M2 rumbled past slowly and you could almost taste the disdain from all the people sat outside tutting and shaking their heads, except me and my boy that were very happy to see it. :D
Why would people shake their heads and tut at a car driving past slowly, probably had a MPE fitted. This is so common that a noisy car gives the impression of being driven fast.

I agree with Deadeye, I've only received positive comments since owning the M2 since March.

This may sound derogatory but I'd also like to add that the majority of people jumping from a M2 to a M140i probably bought the car on a PCP and are paying handsomely on a monthly basis where a M140i is considerably cheaper. Yes there isn't much difference in the real world power and torque between a M140i and a M2 but I know what I would rather be driving.
The M2 is a far better car than the M140i. I don't think there is any debate over that.

However, I don't think it would make much of a difference to many people. I've lost count of people that have bought fast cars and to demonstrate how well it drives and how fast it is they'll accelerate in a straight line. If you're a good driver then an M2 makes sense. If you're not so good and only drive fast straight then you may as well buy the M140i. Many of both will be bought for the image alone.

I read someone saying the running costs were similar. I was surprised to read that as usually servicing and consumable parts on M cars are much more. Part of the attraction of the Mlite is the reasonable running costs.

Having read half the threads on here about finance deals people are paying nearly as much for their Mlite as the M2 is now available at. Some people are paying way over the odds for their Mlites and the current offers for the M2 are much better.

I'm a little confused where BMW are heading with their finance deals now. They've pushed the Mlites into a market I wouldn't have liked to see them. They've just got too common now. I'm surprised that they have barely escaped the ridicule the Golf R had previously.

Now BMW have started pushing the M2 too hard. Big discounts, low rate finance and high GFMV have now pushed the M2 into territory it shouldn't be either.
I have to say I’m not soo sure that’s the case, I’m a not blowing my own horn but I’m quite a handy driver, and I’ve always felt my m2 was a little dull, but again I put that down to my own fault as I got the dct it takes away a bit of the drive and the standard continental tyres are baaaaaaad, a trip to the Nurburgring and a track day at spa on the way home had them showing chord, intact I’m willing to say on a track an m140i with the standard super sport tyres and the m2 on standard conti’s there would be very little if any thing in it, but then again I didn’t but this car to hoon it round the track “he says”,

You have a made a very good point with regards to what the dealer network have done, the reason the m2 was holding it’s money so well was because there wasn’t really any deals to be had on the new car and finance was 6.9% apr, now dealers are offering over 5k off new and 4.9% from memory with massive GFV figures, this means used/nearly new have to be silly cheap to sell,

When I got mine 4 months ago my gfv after 4 years was 24,000, now put my car into the finance calculator for just 3 years and it’s gfv had dropped to 18k.

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 am

Samp4856 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:02 am

I have to say I’m not soo sure that’s the case, I’m a not blowing my own horn but I’m quite a handy driver, and I’ve always felt my m2 was a little dull, but again I put that down to my own fault as I got the dct it takes away a bit of the drive and the standard continental tyres are baaaaaaad, a trip to the Nurburgring and a track day at spa on the way home had them showing chord, intact I’m willing to say on a track an m140i with the standard super sport tyres and the m2 on standard conti’s there would be very little if any thing in it, but then again I didn’t but this car to hoon it round the track “he says”,

You have a made a very good point with regards to what the dealer network have done, the reason the m2 was holding it’s money so well was because there wasn’t really any deals to be had on the new car and finance was 6.9% apr, now dealers are offering over 5k off new and 4.9% from memory with massive GFV figures, this means used/nearly new have to be silly cheap to sell,

When I got mine 4 months ago my gfv after 4 years was 24,000, now put my car into the finance calculator for just 3 years and it’s gfv had dropped to 18k.
There's as much as 15% discount now. 3.9% interest and £25k GFMV. That keeps the monthly payments down. Cars in excess of £51k were mid £400s per month. For similar monthly payments the option is a well specced Mlite or a lower spec M2. There isn't much between them now.

If you're PCPing a car now it probably makes more sense to buy the M2. That wasn't the case earlier when the M2 was much more expensive.

Ursy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ursy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:53 am

The reason i want an M2 is that if i bought an M240 (which i still might) id always look at an M2 and think 'wow that looks good'.

The M240 is the same car externally (more or less) as a 218i which for me is the issue. I have another car, and this will be my 2nd (ok 3rd - if we include the MX5 on my drive) which will be used purely for fun.

I think this is the crux of it - if i could only have one car it would be the M240 as its easier to live with day to day, and less showy so parking it up in the station etc isnt an issue. But as a weekend toy, the M2 suits the job better.

(Plus the M2 in grey with black kidneys looks insanely good :) )

WindsorDel

Post by WindsorDel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:23 am

Can we stop all this negativity please, I've got a test drive today... :)
Current: 2013 M135i, SB/CR, 3dr, Auto
Previous: 2008 Z4M Coupe, Imola/Champagne

Deadeye

Post by Deadeye » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 am

You lot must be driving some special M140is. We test drove one the other day as we are going to swap our M135i. We went to the dealer in my M2. The M140i Shadow (with MPE) demo had 3500 miles on the clock so should have loosened up a bit. There is now way in a thousand years it would keep up with my M2. in a straight line or especially round a corner or on a track.

I have to say I think they've even made the steering worse than the M135i! I think our M135i is a strong one anyway but I don't think the M140i is much quicker than it if at all. Our M135i does have 50k on the clock so is definitely loosened up.

The one thing that sticks out when I get back in our M135i is the body-roll. The M2 basically has none.
F20 M135i - most toys
F80 M3 - even more toys - gone!
F87 M2 - most toys

Tell others about your car buying experience by writing a car dealer review at http://www.carbuyingadvisor.co.uk

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:30 am

Deadeye wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 am
You lot must be driving some special M140is. We test drove one the other day as we are going to swap our M135i. We went to the dealer in my M2. The M140i Shadow (with MPE) demo had 3500 miles on the clock so should have loosened up a bit. There is now way in a thousand years it would keep up with my M2. in a straight line or especially round a corner or on a track.

I have to say I think they've even made the steering worse than the M135i! I think our M135i is a strong one anyway but I don't think the M140i is much quicker than it if at all. Our M135i does have 50k on the clock so is definitely loosened up.

The one thing that sticks out when I get back in our M135i is the body-roll. The M2 basically has none.
Straight line speed is very similar. Proven quarter mile times are identical. Both 12.7sec cars with DCT and auto.

There has been a few videos of Mx40is pulling on M2s.

CJ92

Post by CJ92 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:42 am

WindsorDel wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:23 am
Can we stop all this negativity please, I've got a test drive today... :)
DCT or manual, either way have a good one and let us know your thoughts.. :)
Just another 1series. :)

Return to “F87 M2”