Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Samp4856
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Beware the price crash...

Post by Samp4856 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:30 am

Deadeye wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:24 am
You lot must be driving some special M140is. We test drove one the other day as we are going to swap our M135i. We went to the dealer in my M2. The M140i Shadow (with MPE) demo had 3500 miles on the clock so should have loosened up a bit. There is now way in a thousand years it would keep up with my M2. in a straight line or especially round a corner or on a track.

I have to say I think they've even made the steering worse than the M135i! I think our M135i is a strong one anyway but I don't think the M140i is much quicker than it if at all. Our M135i does have 50k on the clock so is definitely loosened up.

The one thing that sticks out when I get back in our M135i is the body-roll. The M2 basically has none.
It’s been proven time and time again that straight line speed the m2 and 140 are basically identical straight line speed, and I have to say having had both on the road the 140 feels faster due to it having more torque low down, but that doesn’t mean it is faster, but again this thread isn’t about that.
m140 Zf with MPE, sold it for an M2 DCT, selling the M2 to get back into a 140 Shadow edition, some call me crazy, i say try to live with an m2 round here!

Shandy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Shandy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:38 am

WindsorDel wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:23 am
Can we stop all this negativity please, I've got a test drive today... :)
If you can actually afford one I'm sure it will save you a lot of mental torment.

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:41 am

Deadeye wrote:
You lot must be driving some special M140is. We test drove one the other day as we are going to swap our M135i. We went to the dealer in my M2. The M140i Shadow (with MPE) demo had 3500 miles on the clock so should have loosened up a bit. There is now way in a thousand years it would keep up with my M2. in a straight line or especially round a corner or on a track.

I have to say I think they've even made the steering worse than the M135i! I think our M135i is a strong one anyway but I don't think the M140i is much quicker than it if at all. Our M135i does have 50k on the clock so is definitely loosened up.

The one thing that sticks out when I get back in our M135i is the body-roll. The M2 basically has none.
Whilst I agree that an M2, in the right capable hands, would probably be quicker than my 240 around a track, and also if being stupid enough on public roads, in a straight-line there isn't anything in it really.

You only have to watch Joe's vid to see how close things are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphuMPNcdTY

Then it all comes down to balls/bravado. I couldn't physically drive an M2 any quicker than my 240 on the proven roads around here unless it got up into suicidal speeds.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Deadeye

Post by Deadeye » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am

The amount of threads I read a few years ago stating that an LSD is a must for an Mx35i or Mx40i and the steering is horrible and non-confidence inspiring and the wheels are too small blah, blah.

Along comes the M2 which addresses all these issues (steering in particular) and now the Mx40i is just as good.

People are fickle aren't they!?
F20 M135i - most toys
F80 M3 - even more toys - gone!
F87 M2 - most toys

Tell others about your car buying experience by writing a car dealer review at http://www.carbuyingadvisor.co.uk

Shandy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Shandy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 am

OneTwenty wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:41 am
Deadeye wrote:

Whilst I agree that an M2, in the right capable hands, would probably be quicker than my 240 around a track, and also if being stupid enough on public roads, in a straight-line there isn't anything in it really.

You only have to watch Joe's vid to see how close things are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphuMPNcdTY

Then it all comes down to balls/bravado. I couldn't physically drive an M2 any quicker than my 240 on the proven roads around here unless it got up into suicidal speeds.
The main point of difference is that you're paying for a completely revised chassis which transforms the way the car drives. Some people are happy to pay the extra for the chassis because they find it more enjoyable to drive.

The reason this thread has gone on so long is it brings together the two big buying criteria of straight-line speed and price/PCP deals.

AndytheGreek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndytheGreek » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:32 am

Deadeye wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am
The amount of threads I read a few years ago stating that an LSD is a must for an Mx35i or Mx40i and the steering is horrible and non-confidence inspiring and the wheels are too small blah, blah.

Along comes the M2 which addresses all these issues (steering in particular) and now the Mx40i is just as good.

you've hit the nail on the head!
the M2 is in a different league.
it just boils down to money, and who can actually afford one.
2017 M2

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:01 pm

AndytheGreek wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:32 am
Deadeye wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am

you've hit the nail on the head!
the M2 is in a different league.
it just boils down to money, and who can actually afford one.
It is amusing reading older threads and seeing how opinions change. Most people always strongly defend their car and choice. Many of the M2 owners justified the M2 over the M4 as the M4 had big discounts, depreciated too fast and wasn't exclusive enough.

The M2 has now found itself in the same boat.

The PCP difference now is too small to make it an issue unless you're buying cash. Monthly payments are too close now and makes the Mlite a little redundant unless people are absolutely maxing their monthly income to afford one. They shouldn't be buying one if that's the case, but if an Mlite is affordable it then makes the M2 an no-brainer over an Mlite due to current deals. They are too close on price now.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Shandy wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 am
OneTwenty wrote:
Deadeye wrote:

The main point of difference is that you're paying for a completely revised chassis which transforms the way the car drives. Some people are happy to pay the extra for the chassis because they find it more enjoyable to drive.

The reason this thread has gone on so long is it brings together the two big buying criteria of straight-line speed and price/PCP deals.
I'd certainly take an M2 now over my 240, but in my hands at least I don't think there would be any difference in performance or really in the handling.

Yes if you put the Stig in both around the TG test track I imagine there would be, but for your normal Joe Public who uses it for mixed driving I don't think the gap would be that big in straight line speed or in handling.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the M2 and think it's a lovely thing, but I was replying after Deadeye said the M140 would have no chance of keeping up, I'm not sure if that would be the case 99% of the time.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

AndytheGreek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by AndytheGreek » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:46 pm

well, Ive had a few straight line blasts in my M2 against an M140i, the mlite really stood no chance, we tried a few times too just to be absolutely sure.
but I take the point that the speed is there and there abouts between these cars anyway.
the one thing the M2 has is the looks, and no matter how fast a "chipped up" mlite is, the mlite owners always admire the proper M car. FACT.
2017 M2

Deadeye

Post by Deadeye » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:53 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm
Shandy wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 am
OneTwenty wrote:

I'd certainly take an M2 now over my 240, but in my hands at least I don't think there would be any difference in performance or really in the handling.
You clearly haven't driven an M2, it's not even fair to compare the two on the handling front. I came from an F80 M2 and noticed still noticed an improvement in steering feel and handling. The way the M2 turns in is amazing - the only car I've driven where I felt such a pointy front end was a 911.

Maybe I forget some people just don't have any feel (or care) which is why there are those that think Michelin PS4Ss are acceptable.

^ That is not meant as an insult.
F20 M135i - most toys
F80 M3 - even more toys - gone!
F87 M2 - most toys

Tell others about your car buying experience by writing a car dealer review at http://www.carbuyingadvisor.co.uk

Mark
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 pm

AndytheGreek wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:46 pm
the mlite owners always admire the proper M car. FACT.
Purists will argue that the M2 still isn't a proper M car, and that there'll never be another proper M car as they're now all turbo'd; that M-division are making the best stab of it they can with the regs thrown at them but ultimately it's far more ///Marketing these days than 'proper M cars'. Last of the 'proper' M cars being the E90/92 (and the E93 doesn't count as it weighs far too much haha).

Fwiw though I'm contemplating sweeping the -ve equity under the carpet somehow and jumping on an LBB or Grey M2 asap :lol:
M235i Mineral White/Black (Auto) with a nice smattering of options
MINI Cooper S Cab for Mrs Mark
LONG GONE NEVER FORGOTTEN: E46 M3 CSL Silver Grey, M135i (sob), E92 M3, E60 M5 (guzzle guzzle)

Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by 5678 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Amusing thread.

I've had an M135i for just under 2 years. Loved it, despite it's flaws.
Couldn't justify the cost on 718S or 991S to replace it, so what else? M240i! I was all set, the deal prices make it the best car for the money around.

I went to go look at one, then saw the stunning M2 in the showroom, it's subjective of course, but for me it's stunning and makes the M240i look very ordinary, dare I say it, even boring?
I looked into it, the price jump was significant, people say £20k more, well I finance cars (boo, hiss, pauper etc...) so it wasn't a case of finding £20k, it was a case of justifying the extra per month to myself. Almost fully optioned 240 vs the bare bones M2 was over £250pcm different. I didn't see it as being worth it for the extra I'd get and resigned myself to an M240i. It would be my daily, I knew what I would be getting and it would be great.

Then... Then I saw the deals on the M2 at the moment. That £250 difference was now down to £90, that was easily justifiable. So I've done it.
I know full well it won't be faster in the real world, that the 240 would do 80-90% that the M2 could do, but, well, it's not an M2 is it?
It drives better, it sounds better and it looks better, again, all subjective, but for me I'm happy.

swanny71
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by swanny71 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Interesting discussions - both the original subject and the current tangent.

I own neither (so have no axe to grind) but have driven both with the serious intention of buying. M135i/M140i to replace my 130 as a daily and the M2 to replace an Exige V6 as a toy.

Turns out neither are as good (for my needs) as the car they might have replaced. But what I can say with 100% certainty is that the M2 is a much, much nicer car to drive/own in all respects (handling, steering, noise, looks, sense of occasion) except potential running costs.
Current: 130i, Exige S V6, Clio Trophy
Previous: Several TVR's, e90 M3, 156 GTA, 306 GTi-6 + others (some crap, some not so crap)

Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by 5678 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:53 pm

swanny71 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:36 pm
Interesting discussions - both the original subject and the current tangent.

I own neither (so have no axe to grind) but have driven both with the serious intention of buying. M135i/M140i to replace my 130 as a daily and the M2 to replace an Exige V6 as a toy.

Turns out neither are as good (for my needs) as the car they might have replaced. But what I can say with 100% certainty is that the M2 is a much, much nicer car to drive/own in all respects (handling, steering, noise, looks, sense of occasion) except potential running costs.
Good to hear from someone who obviously values the drive of a car (based on the Exige and Trophy!) I've got a 182 at home as well ;)

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:08 pm

5678 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:34 pm
Amusing thread.

I've had an M135i for just under 2 years. Loved it, despite it's flaws.
Couldn't justify the cost on 718S or 991S to replace it, so what else? M240i! I was all set, the deal prices make it the best car for the money around.

I went to go look at one, then saw the stunning M2 in the showroom, it's subjective of course, but for me it's stunning and makes the M240i look very ordinary, dare I say it, even boring?
I looked into it, the price jump was significant, people say £20k more, well I finance cars (boo, hiss, pauper etc...) so it wasn't a case of finding £20k, it was a case of justifying the extra per month to myself. Almost fully optioned 240 vs the bare bones M2 was over £250pcm different. I didn't see it as being worth it for the extra I'd get and resigned myself to an M240i. It would be my daily, I knew what I would be getting and it would be great.

Then... Then I saw the deals on the M2 at the moment. That £250 difference was now down to £90, that was easily justifiable. So I've done it.
I know full well it won't be faster in the real world, that the 240 would do 80-90% that the M2 could do, but, well, it's not an M2 is it?
It drives better, it sounds better and it looks better, again, all subjective, but for me I'm happy.
That's exactly how I see it, when I bought mine the monthlies were way over the 240 and the waiting list was staggering so it was a no go. Now they costs are not far from each other I would be more than tempted to get into an M2, but my current business position means I have to wait for now.

To put the current M2 deals into perspective, I pay £455/month for my 240 and when I bought it the M2 was closer to £690/month. My local dealer are now offering the M2 for just over £500/month IIRC.

I have no doubt that an M2 would be the better drivers car, but for me personally that means nothing when going to the Trafford Centre with wife and kids in the rain and heavy traffic on a Saturday, or pooling down to London on a weekend!! The very rare occasion I could use it fully would be 1-2 days a year so that is why the 240 is perfect for me....at the moment! ;) :lol:

Return to “F87 M2”