Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: BMW discount for MP Coilovers - group buy

Post by Blind Pugh » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 pm

m2wolf wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:31 am
Not sure if you can cancel it.. but I've got official BMW dealership closer then Tamworth and willing to offer inc. fitting and laser fitting 1 day for under £1900.

Also willing to offer a complimentary car if the work takes 2 days.

They will offer additional 5% off if 5 persons interested. Pls. ping me if you require the dealership and contact.
Rybrook parts called to update me - they mentioned you have chosen to bail out ???

Shandy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Shandy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Mine are done. They got confused by the first set of instructions from BMW and then took a couple of days to get the right directions from BMW UK. They had them on upside down at the back with a couple of extra parts left in. Anyway, they are done now and I have a big sheaf of paperwork and TUV forms etc.

I haven't had much of an opportunity to really push the car yet with the weather. The most obvious difference seems to be around the front end, turn-in is very smooth. The car feels slightly better balanced and the transition into oversteer is a bit more progressive.

The ride is maybe slightly harsher but it's not really noticeable until you catch a line of cats-eyes or something like that. There is a little bit less initial compression damping but the rebound feels better damped as well - pretty much what you would expect I suppose.

I've spent more than I should have on the car already but if I had to choose between the coils and the exhaust it'd be a tough call, they both really nice. Fair play to BMW more making this stuff available.

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Shandy wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 pm

I haven't had much of an opportunity to really push the car yet with the weather. The most obvious difference seems to be around the front end, turn-in is very smooth. The car feels slightly better balanced and the transition into oversteer is a bit more progressive.

The ride is maybe slightly harsher but it's not really noticeable until you catch a line of cats-eyes or something like that. There is a little bit less initial compression damping but the rebound feels better damped as well - pretty much what you would expect I suppose.
Is there an expected period for the coils to settle or is a straight out of the garage experience? You could always adjust them as well which is one of the big benefits of the MPC.
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

Shandy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Shandy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Straight out of the garage. I doubt I'll be doing too much adjustment, unless I find some very good guidance I won't be second-guessing the BMW engineers.

BishUK

Post by BishUK » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Tom from Rybrook called me yesterday to say that the deal for us is still valid even though Wolf pulled out. He said he's expecting delivery of my set end of this week.

@Shandy, were yours fitted by the Warwick dealership? my worry was that they wouldn't be putting their senior M technicians on to this as they are essentially taking a 100% hit on labour charges - sounds like their first attempt was a bit of a disaster but good to hear you are all good now.

Did you/did they perform the hawkeye laser alignment for you?

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:53 pm

BishUK wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm
Tom from Rybrook called me yesterday to say that the deal for us is still valid even though Wolf pulled out. He said he's expecting delivery of my set end of this week.

@Shandy, were yours fitted by the Warwick dealership? my worry was that they wouldn't be putting their senior M technicians on to this as they are essentially taking a 100% hit on labour charges - sounds like their first attempt was a bit of a disaster but good to hear you are all good now.

BishUK - Thanks for coming onboard. I think you effectively saved us with the discount.

I've literally just come off the phone with Tom and he also mentioned you requested a senior engineer. Apparently, they are going to test it on one of their senior technician's car to establish a decent configuration. Maybe we should garner some from others as well to help narrow it down. Experience is key here I think.
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

Shandy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Shandy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:27 pm

BishUK wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:50 pm

No, I had mine done in Belfast. They gave me a deal but nothing close to what you guys are getting. In the end I was happy enough to have it done right, along with the RIS, and they are the only garage that have touched the car so there shouldn't be any future arguments around warranty at all. I think they spent a lot of time on them due to the confusion, but they did stick at it and make sure they had everything done to the proper spec including the alignment.

There is a set of instructions floating about that seems to lead people to fit the rears the wrong way up. There are also a couple of pieces that are fitted to the stock suspension but not the MPCs. If you look on Bimmerpost there is a guy who tried to fit his own and did the exact same thing, then somebody posted up better instructions, which are presumably what my garage obtained from BMW UK. There is also a set of bolts involved that are single-use and it caused a 24 hour delay waiting for them to come back in.

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Shandy wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 pm
Straight out of the garage. I doubt I'll be doing too much adjustment, unless I find some very good guidance I won't be second-guessing the BMW engineers.
Shandy

Once you have 1000+ miles to allow MPC’s to truly settle, you might want to get the car corner balanced and have adjustable damping responses assessed then optimised.

BP

Shandy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Shandy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:42 am

Blind Pugh wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:24 pm
Shandy wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 pm
Shandy

Once you have 1000+ miles to allow MPC’s to truly settle, you might want to get the car corner balanced and have adjustable damping responses assessed then optimised.

BP
I've got the Acexxon reflector inserts and the black badge to go on, then G-Techniq next week. After that I will reign it in for a while and then maybe get it balanced in the spring.

BishUK

Post by BishUK » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Guys, just a quick note to say I had my "group buy" Coils fitted by Rybrook Warwick last week - wow! Moving from the Eibachs to the coils is (as you would expect) totally different league, car feels like its has all four of its wheels nailed to the floor, and the ride way surpasses that of the Eibachs (more even, more subtle and I would actually go as far as to say, more comfortable). I was a little apprehensive being the guinea pig (although the dealership had fitted coils on M4 prior, they hadn't done an M2 to date) but they did a stellar job and I couldn't be happier. The M technician that fitted the coils was so impressed with the ride and feel that he's getting them for his own M2. The job is a full day's work and includes up to 90mins of KDS II alignment and also please note, the car needs to be flashed with the latest iStep version (as there is some chassis management within the software that the car needs to be told its running the M suspension) so you will lose all your nice coding / and will likely encounter problems should one have had a cheeky tune. Only coding for me, but luckily I put a V-Gate ODB and the Bimmercode App on my Christmas list so I am able to re-instate all coding at home.

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by sawda » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Glad to here it. New year has started and im looking to get some coilovers too so glad to hear that your happy with it and makes such a difference.congrats and enjoy the ride

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm

BishUK wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 pm
Guys, just a quick note to say I had my "group buy" Coils fitted by Rybrook Warwick last week - wow! Moving from the Eibachs to the coils is (as you would expect) totally different league, car feels like its has all four of its wheels nailed to the floor, and the ride way surpasses that of the Eibachs (more even, more subtle and I would actually go as far as to say, more comfortable). I was a little apprehensive being the guinea pig (although the dealership had fitted coils on M4 prior, they hadn't done an M2 to date) but they did a stellar job and I couldn't be happier. The M technician that fitted the coils was so impressed with the ride and feel that he's getting them for his own M2. The job is a full day's work and includes up to 90mins of KDS II alignment and also please note, the car needs to be flashed with the latest iStep version (as there is some chassis management within the software that the car needs to be told its running the M suspension) so you will lose all your nice coding / and will likely encounter problems should one have had a cheeky tune. Only coding for me, but luckily I put a V-Gate ODB and the Bimmercode App on my Christmas list so I am able to re-instate all coding at home.
Bish

Did you get it done in a day ?

What's the name of the tech so as can ask for him when booking mine in.

Interesting to read yr comments about MP coils v Eibachs. I test drove 2 m2 with modded suspension one with Eibachs and one with MP coils. Comparing Eibachs to stock m2 they felt 2nd rate.. No comparison to MP coils, moreso given the Rybrook price !

Enjoy !

TerryCTR
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by TerryCTR » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 pm

BP how did you find the MP Coils v Stock, does the car ride better?
M2 Lci

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 pm

TerryCTR wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:23 pm
BP how did you find the MP Coils v Stock, does the car ride better?
Hi Terry - road manners all round were improved by MP coils v stock. IDK what settings the MP coils 2 way adjustable damping were set at TBF but clearly there's scope to tune the ride to suit taste, payload, mood and occasion as desired. The stock suspension does a good job IMHO but front and rear of the car become much communicative with MP coils and exploit more out of the MPSS at each corner.

I read somewhere KW coilovers need a fair but of varied use for them to settle down fully post install so expect Bish may notice further improvements as he racks up more miles.

BP
Last edited by Blind Pugh on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TerryCTR
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by TerryCTR » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:49 pm

I’ll be keeping an eye on this one then as back in the good old days I fitted buddyclub coilys to my type r and it was the best mod I ever carried out-far superior to the eibach springs I had on at first. It will be good to hear member feedback once you have all ran them for a while.

I thought my modding days were over but this car is making me want to mod away yet again!
M2 Lci

Return to “F87 M2”