MPE for M2

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

MPE for M2

Post by wenklaw » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 am

I am really really considering the MPE with carbon tips for my M2, does the MPE enhance the sound inside and out and make it worth the couple of grand?
Ive watched a few youtube videos and not sure they do it justice. Also the bypass thing, is it easy to do?

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: MPE for M2

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:31 pm

wenklaw wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:23 am
I am really really considering the MPE with carbon tips for my M2, does the MPE enhance the sound inside and out and make it worth the couple of grand?
Ive watched a few youtube videos and not sure they do it justice. Also the bypass thing, is it easy to do?
Wenklaw,

FYI BMW have changed the joint clamp where new MPE fits onto existing front pipe. - Most of MPE's so far are "Ver1.0" 2 bolt sleeve clamp which can leak - 2 bolt as per photo below.

Probably explains why some dealers now offering heavily discounted MPE's which are more likely the older / troublesome type joint to shift older stock.

Newest MPE [Ver2.0 - maybe for LCI perhaps ??] now have a joint/ single bolt clamp slide over existing front pipe - see photo below

My used m2 came with Ver.1.0 MPE already on - I'm happy with it however if I had a stock pipe and were looking to swap exhausts, I think there are better options out there for less money. FWIW, I plan on my MPE joint welded at some point.

If you can get a Ver 2.0 MPE - with slide over joint - for a good price go for it.

BP

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:59 pm

If you make it to Sytner Tamworth this Saturday you'll absolutely get an opportunity to hear one. I won't be there but I know at least two M2s in the VIP slots that have MPEs.
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:24 pm

YaoNg wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:59 pm
If you make it to Sytner Tamworth this Saturday you'll absolutely get an opportunity to hear one. I won't be there but I know at least two M2s in the VIP slots that have MPEs.
I am going to pay Sytner a visit. Whats a VIP slot?

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:03 pm

They wanted cars for exhibition so those were the VIP slots. I was invited to take a slot but I can't make it and they are filled now. However, some of those slots have some very nice M2s. At least 3 I know are attending and at least one will have an MPE as well as every bit of M Performance kit on it.

If you PM me I can give you names of people to ask questions and hopefully hear the MPE in person.
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

JCW2M135i

Post by JCW2M135i » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:31 pm
wenklaw wrote:
Wenklaw,

FYI BMW have changed the joint clamp where new MPE fits onto existing front pipe. - Most of MPE's so far are "Ver1.0" 2 bolt sleeve clamp which can leak - 2 bolt as per photo below.

Probably explains why some dealers now offering heavily discounted MPE's which are more likely the older / troublesome type joint to shift older stock.

Newest MPE [Ver2.0 - maybe for LCI perhaps ??] now have a joint/ single bolt clamp slide over existing front pipe - see photo below

My used m2 came with Ver.1.0 MPE already on - I'm happy with it however if I had a stock pipe and were looking to swap exhausts, I think there are better options out there for less money. FWIW, I plan on my MPE joint welded at some point.

If you can get a Ver 2.0 MPE - with slide over joint - for a good price go for it.

BP
BP, where are the discounted ones?
Current - Stealth M2 Manual

Previous - BMW M135i Manual & R56 Black Mini JCW

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:46 pm

JCW2M135i wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:11 pm

BP, where are the discounted ones?
Here’s one
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=104763

There are others too

Shandy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Shandy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:29 pm

wenklaw wrote:
The stock exhaust is great but the MPE is a lot louder.

When you're just using the driving modes it's still pretty loud, it'll give psssers-by a surprise when you start up. Sport and Traction are both pretty raucous.

Once you push the button, the sound is pretty ridiculous by 'normal' road car standards. I cold-started mine in a garage, to show a mate who isn't a car guy, and it blew his tiny mind :lol: He just kept saying 'what the f*ck is that...? Seriously they actually sell it like that...? You haven't had something done to it? That's a normal BMW engine?' Etc etc etc

It was worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. It was dry today and I got the chance to rip it through a whole load of empty roundabouts and then do 15 miles cross-country with no traffic, it sounds amazing.

Return to “F87 M2”