Milltek or MPE

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

paulie33uk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Milltek or MPE

Post by paulie33uk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:31 am

A bit of advise please guys, I'm trying to make a decision on whether to go for a MPE exhaust or a Milltek exhaust...decisions decisions !

I already have a HJS 300 cell cat which ups the volume but I don't want to end up with a system that sounds ridiculously loud and I know (or should I say I've read and watched the vid's) that the MPE would up the volume again but to what degree I'm not to sure, so I'm looking for advice from anyone who has heard both systems as a comparison or alternative already have experience of a MPE or Milltek with a sports cat and subsequent volume levels.

Give me your thoughts please guys.

sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Milltek or MPE

Post by sawda » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm

Ive gone for hjs downpipe and opted for the remus exhaust as mpe was out of stock at the time. Jad since march this year. I dont think many are using remus but sounds a little deeper over the mpe ive compared it to. Also i like the tips. Remus is also is a full catback going straight to down pipe so no cutting like the mpe. Still has valves and no drone. I did look at milltek too but at the time they didnt seem as high quality stainless steel plus no carbon tips wt the time. Plus remus is one of the few that have a small power bump as they allow quicker escape of combustion gases.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:44 pm

I went for the MPE because I like the deeper and bass-ier sound. I always recommend listening to an exhaust in person, if possible. Videos never give you the true sound and often can skewer your opinion. It's a lot of money to spend at risk of being disappointed.

There are lots of M2s here with MPEs (myself included) which you may able to hear.
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

napes5
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by napes5 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:54 am

Personal opinion - I was all for ticking the MPE but it's a bit OTT and boy racerish when I drove one. I didn't think the standard exhaust would be adequate but it's great.
BMW M2 DCT

paulie33uk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by paulie33uk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'm going to opt for the Milltek simply because if it's too loud with the sports cat I can simply sell it on, if i opt for the MPE and it's too loud I'd have the hassle of reattaching the original exhaust. Plus the drone, rattles and silly button in boot of the MPE are putting me off even though I loved the MPE on my old M135i, the Remus is another option but I'm not to sure it's worth another £750 ish quid...time will tell.
Last edited by paulie33uk on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex-B

Post by Alex-B » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:10 am

Better chance of reselling the MPE imo. All you’d need to do is clamp the original rear box back on. Obviously the Bluetooth gubbins as well. There’s a couple of vids on YouTube of one with a HJS cat and Remus catback which sounds good as well.

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:48 pm

paulie33uk wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:03 am
Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'm going to opt for the Milltek simply because if it's too loud with the sports cat I can simply sell it on, if i opt for the MPE and it's too loud I'd have the hassle of reattaching the original exhaust. Plus the drone, rattles and silly button in boot of the MPE are putting me off even though I loved the MPE on my old M135i, the Remus is another option but I'm not to sure it's worth another £750 ish quid...time will tell.
The rattles are a problem, but I'm complaining to BMW right now in hope of some compensation. Besides, it's a cold start related problem so the rattle disappears after that. You could code out the cold start as well.

As for the red button in the boot - there is a workaround that takes all of a couple of minutes to do and after that you never have to press it again. it costs practically nothing to do.

However, it is quite loud and that should be the reason for your decision in my opinion. I'd be interested to hear how the Milltek sounds.
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

napes5
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by napes5 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 am

Wouldn't you be better of establishing if they're too loud prior to purchasing? Save a lot of unnecessary effort!
BMW M2 DCT

paulie33uk
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by paulie33uk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 pm

napes5 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 am
Wouldn't you be better of establishing if they're too loud prior to purchasing? Save a lot of unnecessary effort!
In an ideal world yes, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of M2's in the west lothian area let alone ones with MPE's or Milltek exhausts.

Return to “F87 M2”