Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Running costs advice please

Post by wenklaw » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 am

sootyvrs wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 am
wenklaw wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 am
I think if driven the same 10-15% between MPG in my M2 compared to my M135i, problem I have is the M2's encourages you to drive it in a way that doesn't conserve fuel! In the M135i on motorway trips or even the commute to work I was happy to leave it in comfort or even stick it in ECO on the motorway, in the M2 the first thing I do is engage SPORT mode, all the time without fail.
Not sure if anyone else feels the same but comfort mode in the M2 feels a little like Eco mode in the M-lites :lol:

The throttle seems unresponsive (comfort in M-lite felt much more responsive IMO) which may be why we are encouraged to use sport mode in the M2 which in turn keeps the revs up in the Auto mode which obviously will increase mpg but I guess it's the character of the car which is much rawer compared to the softer M-lite philosophy.. I suspect this is why many M2 owners state that driving the M2 each time is an event where as my previous M-lites with it's softer edges (noise, throttle inputs, gear change, ride quality etc.) felt like driving a normal car when your not gunning it..

Obviously it doesn't mean you can't drive it economically, I think to drive the M2 this way perhaps highlights more that low speed ride is not great, DCT is not that smooth, it's noisy (tyre and engine) and what makes you forget all that is when you drive with a little more enthusiasm :wink:
I agree with many points but personally have never felt the M2 is particularly worse in terms of comfort than an mlite, yes its harder but its no bone breaker and yes its a little louder even in comfort than an mlite, but I don't think the difference is great enough for one to be labelled as the 'great all rounder and an ideal daily driver' and the other (the m2) to be ruled out completely as its too raw, Each to their own and all that and I respect what your personal opinion is, is just isn't mine. Maybe if I was doing 60, 70 mile trips everyday I would feel different.

I find the DCT in the M2 fine in low speed traffic even in sport its ok, a little lurchy I agree at times but pop it in comfort and its less so. I still leave it in sport though.
I don't find comfort like ECO in the mlite but I assume that was tongue in cheek. :D

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 am

sootyvrs wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 am

Not sure if anyone else feels the same but comfort mode in the M2 feels a little like Eco mode in the M-lites :lol:

The throttle seems unresponsive (comfort in M-lite felt much more responsive IMO) which may be why we are encouraged to use sport mode in the M2 which in turn keeps the revs up in the Auto mode which obviously will increase mpg but I guess it's the character of the car which is much rawer compared to the softer M-lite philosophy.. I suspect this is why many M2 owners state that driving the M2 each time is an event where as my previous M-lites with it's softer edges (noise, throttle inputs, gear change, ride quality etc.) felt like driving a normal car when your not gunning it..

Obviously it doesn't mean you can't drive it economically, I think to drive the M2 this way perhaps highlights more that low speed ride is not great, DCT is not that smooth, it's noisy (tyre and engine) and what makes you forget all that is when you drive with a little more enthusiasm :wink:
You can't drive an M2 economically. :wink: Or at least I can't! :lol:

Congrats on the car btw!!

napes5
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by napes5 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:59 am

JamesM135i wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:48 pm
Thinking of up grading the M140i to a M2
Can some one let me know the service intervals on the M2 please, and what each service coasts roughly

Any other costs as well please
What's the conclusion? Going for it?
BMW M2 DCT

sootyvrs
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by sootyvrs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:29 am

napes5 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:59 am
JamesM135i wrote:
Can some one let me know the service intervals on the M2 please, and what each service coasts roughly

If you use the 3 year service pack price as a guide £299 for M-Lite and £999 for the M2 perhaps that will give you an indication.

Remember that there is a £300 running in service required for the M2 and then it's condition based like the M-lite after that but suspect each minor and major service will be quite a bit more expensive (I suspect it's the good old if you can afford one you can afford to pay the extra "M" costs)

To be sure you can easily ring up your local dealer and ask them what they charge to give you a better guide of real costs.
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:01 am

sootyvrs wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:29 am
napes5 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:59 am
JamesM135i wrote:

If you use the 3 year service pack price as a guide £299 for M-Lite and £999 for the M2 perhaps that will give you an indication.

Remember that there is a £300 running in service required for the M2 and then it's condition based like the M-lite after that but suspect each minor and major service will be quite a bit more expensive (I suspect it's the good old if you can afford one you can afford to pay the extra "M" costs)

To be sure you can easily ring up your local dealer and ask them what they charge to give you a better guide of real costs.
Approximate servicing costs for the items covered if you pay for them individually are as follows:-

M2:
Running in service £368.70 *** Due at 1,200 miles.**
Oil & Micro-filter service £301.93 *** Due at approx 12-18,000 miles.** or when car is 2 years old
Oil & Micro-filter service, Air Filter & Spark Plug service £671.74 *** Due at approx 24-36,000 miles.**

Mlites:
Oil & Micro-filter service £299.17 *** due at 2 years or approx 12-18,000 miles**
Oil & Micro-filter service, Air Filter & Spark Plug service £615.74 *** due at approx 24-36,000 miles**

Other than the RIS there really isn't much in it and the RIS can be purchased for less than the £368 above. The M2 service pack at £999 makes no sense to me as it is way to expensive. It should be around £675 to £775. I assume BMW are thinking far more M2's will need the 2nd service than mlites within 3 years due to being driven harder and the condition based mile thing reducing the interval nearer 24k miles?

sootyvrs

Post by sootyvrs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 am

Those prices do make the Service pack look like BMW are trying to pull the wool over your eyes..

I assume the only ones to benefit are the high mileage drivers who will manage to squeeze the 3rd main service in..

I recall when I owned my previous M3's (E36 Evo & E46) some time back how much more they were to service (excluding the additional running in service) compared to the non M models although I do think the bespoke NA M engines were perhaps more complex to maintain perhaps?
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

duckson
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by duckson » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Is the 3yr brake fluid change not included with the service pack as I assume thats at 3yr old on the M2 like on the Mlite?
Current - M2 LCI
Gone - M135i LCI

robsta555

Post by robsta555 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Just had my RIS on my M2 LCI today. £329.58 seemed a little punchy but a little less than suggested above.

The Service chap suggested as well as fluids and unlocking Launch Control, there is also an update to the throttle map which I hadn't realised. They also did a reinstall of the iDrive due to a glitch that was causing reboots and a loss of rear camera.

It was absolutely chucking it down on the drive back so still haven't given the car the full beans.
Current: M2 LCI
Previous: M135i with MPE and LSD

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:54 pm

robsta555 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:35 pm
Just had my RIS on my M2 LCI today. £329.58 seemed a little punchy but a little less than suggested above.

The Service chap suggested as well as fluids and unlocking Launch Control, there is also an update to the throttle map which I hadn't realised. They also did a reinstall of the iDrive due to a glitch that was causing reboots and a loss of rear camera.

It was absolutely chucking it down on the drive back so still haven't given the car the full beans.
Which delaership if I may ask?

robsta555

Post by robsta555 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:01 pm

HN1989x wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:54 pm
Which delaership if I may ask?

Lancaster Milton Keynes.

The experience was absolutely top notch and they fitted me in last minute as well which really helped me out with the bank holiday driving I'll be doing.

flyboy777
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by flyboy777 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:54 pm

Had my RIS yesterday at Marshall in Hook. £296 as price matched another dealer.
Probably my imagination but it feels faster to me.
Looking at the job sheet from the TIS site it is engine & diff oil and deactivate running in inspection.
This enables launch control, not sure if it changes any engine mapping though.
Cut & paste from. TIS below.

On the running costs front, my journey to work is 4 miles A roads to the M3 then 18 miles all motorway, usually busy so cruising at 65-75mph. It’s getting about 32mpg which I’m pretty pleased with.
I’m sure that’s about to drop now it’s run in though :lol:

Perform running-in inspection after roughly 2,000 km.

Change engine oil and oil filter
Change rear differential oil
Deactivate running-in inspection

Note: Do not perform engine oil service CBS reset!

Carry out engine oil change service roughly every 30,000 km/24 months.

Change intervals that are linked with the engine oil service:

Microfilter => replace at every engine oil change (approx. 30,000 km)
Air filter => replace every 2nd engine oil change (approx. 60,000 km)
Spark plugs => replace every 2nd engine oil change (approx. 60,000 km)
Rear differential oil => replace every 3rd engine oil change (approx. 90,000 km)
Carry out vehicle check service roughly every 60,000 km/48 months (every second engine-oil service).
2017 M2.
2015 F31 320D.
2007 123D. P-Torque remap.

robsta555

Post by robsta555 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 pm

flyboy777 wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:54 pm
Had my RIS yesterday at Marshall in Hook. £296 as price matched another dealer.
Probably my imagination but it feels faster to me.
Looking at the job sheet from the TIS site it is engine & diff oil and deactivate running in inspection.
This enables launch control, not sure if it changes any engine mapping though.
As I mentioned above, the service department at Lancaster BMW said there is a change to the throttle mapping during RIS which will make the car feel more urgent. They said the throttle was held back pre RIS to prevent over revving. I still haven't taken mine past 5000rpm so can't comment any further yet.

Return to “F87 M2”