Baby BMW Forum banner

Exhaust tips change

17K views 155 replies 31 participants last post by  D6EML 
#1 ·
Has anyone changed the standard exhaust tips.
Personally don't like the silver ones ?

#4 ·
There are a couple of threads on Powdercoating the easily-corroded metal tips. I got mine sandblasted and powder coated locally for £50 - although feedback was that I paid over the odds (other people were paying more around £35-£40). When you look at how thick the powder coating is, and that it covers inside and outside surfaces of the tips, you realise how poor the finish of the originals is.

I could have gone for any colour, but opted for a conservative gloss black. They offered to try and match my Estoril Blue II but we agreed that unless it was a perfect match it'd probably look odd. I had thought about matching them to the red of the rear lights and reflectors, but again, I wasn't convinced this would look right.

The photo' is after about 18 months and a UK and Alpine winter. Seems to have stood up OK. The right tip needs to be cleaned regularly as it's open more than the left. Only downside is that the interior is the end of the exhaust piping so it remains fairly dull metal colour. up side is this is a lot cheaper then replacements, and removal/refit was straightforward (I just knocked the tips off/on with a rubber-headed mallet).

Here's how they came back from the sanblasting/Powdercoating outfit.

#6 ·
Only caveat is that mine's an M235i not an M2, and I was assuming the M2 tips are removable? On the M-Lite, there are three springs and a notch on the tip and you can gently knock the tip gradually off the pipework as long as you're careful (I used a camping peg mallet with a rubber head). But I know that on some models, the tips are held on with a clamping ring.

#12 ·
I don't like the chrome look and considered buying the M4 CP tips but I'm not a massive fan of the slashed cut and they don't seem to fit right to me. Anyway, before spending £150 I thought I'd take off the stock ones, sand them down and spray with simoniz matt black high temp paint. I'm not expecting it to last long in which case I'll probably buy some M4 tips but who knows, it might work out as a very cheap successful mod! They certainly look better now! I can always get the powder coated in the future.

#14 ·
#19 ·
JamesM135i said:
Also dose any one know if the m3/m4 tips are bigger diameter then the M2 tips
I'm 90% sure they are bigger than the M2 tips.

I'll try and remember to get one of my M3 tips out the box.

I can tell you the M3 tips are exactly the same size as the M135i MPE stips as that's where they were going!

#21 ·
Deadeye said:
JamesM135i said:
Also dose any one know if the m3/m4 tips are bigger diameter then the M2 tips
I'm 90% sure they are bigger than the M2 tips.

I'll try and remember to get one of my M3 tips out the box.

I can tell you the M3 tips are exactly the same size as the M135i MPE stips as that's where they were going!
Cool thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.