New Car Day 2 Questions

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Post Reply
ferraris
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:44 pm
Location: Dorset, UK

New Car Day 2 Questions

Post by ferraris » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 pm

HI, just moved from an M140 to the M2, couple of questions I couldn't see specific answers to:
  1. When braking I hear what sounds like an electric motor (it seems to comes from the LH side), is this normal?
  2. I coded out ASD in the 140 as I had an MPE and wanted to hear that rather than a fake noise. Does the M2 used ASD and can it be coded out?
  3. I'm having the MPE fitted tomorrow, is the standard exhaust or tips of any value to anyone as I wasn't planning to bring them home?
  4. Edit, additional question...I had the dealer leave the protection plastic on and on the rear side panel where it flares out there is PPF (sort of triangular in shape), is this normally removed by the dealer or left on?
Thanks!
Last edited by ferraris on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
now: F87 M2 in LBB
ex-F21 M140i 3 door in VO
ex-F21 125d M-Sport in VO
ex-Audi TT TDi
ex-123D M-Sport Coupe

Fletch81
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:30 pm

Re: New Car Day 2 Questions

Post by Fletch81 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:58 pm

1. I’ve never noticed that noise in my manual M2.

2. Yes the M2 does have ASD, and yes it can be coded out/ removed.

3. You’ll get something back for the OEM exhaust system, or why not keep it, and if you ever sell the M2 refit the OEM exhaust and sell the MPE?

MartyB
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: New Car Day 2 Questions

Post by MartyB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Answer to question 1. I had the same thing with mine immediately after collection. It was just the brakes bedding in as when New the discs had slight grooves on the surface. Once this had worn down the noise stopped.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
JonD
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:57 pm
Location: North West

Re: New Car Day 2 Questions

Post by JonD » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm

As Marty says I had some noise initially but went as the brakes bedded in.

Regards the ASD, yes it can be coded out some say it can create a white noise, I have Technic PNP harness on the way.

ferraris
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:44 pm
Location: Dorset, UK

Re: New Car Day 2 Questions

Post by ferraris » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks for the responses, I've added a Q4, any comments?
now: F87 M2 in LBB
ex-F21 M140i 3 door in VO
ex-F21 125d M-Sport in VO
ex-Audi TT TDi
ex-123D M-Sport Coupe

MartyB
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: New Car Day 2 Questions

Post by MartyB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:59 pm

It’s a PPF film to stop stone chips mate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vee5
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: New Car Day 2 Questions

Post by vee5 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm

JonD wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm
As Marty says I had some noise initially but went as the brakes bedded in.

Regards the ASD, yes it can be coded out some say it can create a white noise, I have Technic PNP harness on the way.
How did you get on with the Technic PNP harness Jon?

User avatar
JonD
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:57 pm
Location: North West

Re: New Car Day 2 Questions

Post by JonD » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:40 pm

vee5 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm
JonD wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm
As Marty says I had some noise initially but went as the brakes bedded in.

Regards the ASD, yes it can be coded out some say it can create a white noise, I have Technic PNP harness on the way.
How did you get on with the Technic PNP harness Jon?
It’s an easy DIY job, out of all the BMW’s I’ve had with ASD, the M2, or at least mine was, awfuly intrusive. Made the world of difference really, as far as the audio system is concerned, it thinks it’s working but obviously there’s no sound output.

vee5
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: New Car Day 2 Questions

Post by vee5 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:37 am

JonD wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:40 pm
vee5 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:17 pm
JonD wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm
As Marty says I had some noise initially but went as the brakes bedded in.

Regards the ASD, yes it can be coded out some say it can create a white noise, I have Technic PNP harness on the way.
How did you get on with the Technic PNP harness Jon?
It’s an easy DIY job, out of all the BMW’s I’ve had with ASD, the M2, or at least mine was, awfuly intrusive. Made the world of difference really, as far as the audio system is concerned, it thinks it’s working but obviously there’s no sound output.
Thanks, sounds like there is no reason for me to not fit a harness!

Post Reply

Return to “F87 M2”