Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

Post Reply
Kev1387
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:52 pm

Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by Kev1387 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Just wondering if you guys considered the M4 before the M2?
If so what were your reasons for not going down the M4 route?

It’s just that I’ve driven both back to back and still undecided 🤷‍♂️

User avatar
sootyvrs
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 6288
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:00 pm
Location: The Boro

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by sootyvrs » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:51 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with both cars to be fair..

I think the M4 is probably a little more "premium" in a bigger package where the M2 is probably better "value" considering deals on offer (M4 is around 20% more expensive after discounts on both cars)..

The M2 is being replaced by the M2 competition later this year although that might not be discounted initally so you make need to take this in to consideration if not having the "latest" thing bothers you.
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2018 F87 BMW M2 DCT
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

andyeds1234
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:04 am

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by andyeds1234 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:23 pm

I looked at both, but as the M2 is used as an occasional car only, it suited my requirents better in regards to the fun factor. If I was using the car as my only car, I think I would have gone for the M3 or M4 for the slightly larger interior space. The M2 makes a nicer noise than the comp pack M4 that I drove, and felt a bit more alive, and it was only at 60mph plus, that the M4s additional power came in to play.
Drive both, they are quite different cars.

User avatar
sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by sawda » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:31 pm

I called up BMW to buying an brand new manual m4 back in Jan 2016, price had nothing to do with it, went for M2 straight away even though I never drove one before. Shorted wheel base, sraight 6 and a manual gear box, muscular body, less of them on the streets and rwd... Perfect combo.

M4 felt more like a GT car and more removed from the driving experience. Depends what you want from a car, m4 is has far more luxuries, and feels special for it. M4 would be a nicer daily driver too, It is also more practical and alot more comfortable. Massive down side for me is the s55 motor, highly capable but sound is so important to the driving experience amd as someone who enjoys carving through b roads and despite listining to as many modded m4 vids as I could, I still couldnt fall in love with the sound. Looks wise too I prefer the m2 but also like the m3 styling over the m4 but this is all personal preference.

I first got to drive an m2 on track back to back with an M4. The M4 was track prepped and really was very impressive and well balanced. Perhaps not a fair comparison the the road version as this had a roll cage and harness and was quite far from the version I would of bought. As soon as I slid into the m2 and took the first corner I knew I had made the right choice. Collection came in october 2016 and fast forward 18 months there is still nothing I woyld swap the M2 for in terms of driver appeal unless I added another 50k.

Let downs on the m2... Well the interior is plain and dosnt feel that special however I have grown to love the alcantara and opeb pore carbon fibre. I have added various bits of carbon as well as the mperformabce sterring wheel which definately works for me. Sound wise M2 really is great, and personally I dod the asd bypass and exhaust upgrades almost immeaditely to get the most out of the N55. Finished off with some b16 coilovers now the M2 feels even more raw for it. Forget the modding for now, even in stock form the car really is great and can realistically see it as being a BMW legend in its own right.

Ultimately it all depends on what you want from the car but I know where my money would be......

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk



User avatar
OrtonM135i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by OrtonM135i » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:25 pm

sawda wrote:I called up BMW to buying an brand new manual m4 back in Jan 2016, price had nothing to do with it, went for M2 straight away even though I never drove one before. Shorted wheel base, sraight 6 and a manual gear box, muscular body, less of them on the streets and rwd... Perfect combo.

M4 felt more like a GT car and more removed from the driving experience. Depends what you want from a car, m4 is has far more luxuries, and feels special for it. M4 would be a nicer daily driver too, It is also more practical and alot more comfortable. Massive down side for me is the s55 motor, highly capable but sound is so important to the driving experience amd as someone who enjoys carving through b roads and despite listining to as many modded m4 vids as I could, I still couldnt fall in love with the sound. Looks wise too I prefer the m2 but also like the m3 styling over the m4 but this is all personal preference.

I first got to drive an m2 on track back to back with an M4. The M4 was track prepped and really was very impressive and well balanced. Perhaps not a fair comparison the the road version as this had a roll cage and harness and was quite far from the version I would of bought. As soon as I slid into the m2 and took the first corner I knew I had made the right choice. Collection came in october 2016 and fast forward 18 months there is still nothing I woyld swap the M2 for in terms of driver appeal unless I added another 50k.

Let downs on the m2... Well the interior is plain and dosnt feel that special however I have grown to love the alcantara and opeb pore carbon fibre. I have added various bits of carbon as well as the mperformabce sterring wheel which definately works for me. Sound wise M2 really is great, and personally I dod the asd bypass and exhaust upgrades almost immeaditely to get the most out of the N55. Finished off with some b16 coilovers now the M2 feels even more raw for it. Forget the modding for now, even in stock form the car really is great and can realistically see it as being a BMW legend in its own right.

Ultimately it all depends on what you want from the car but I know where my money would be......

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Really like the black front splitter in one of your pics, where did you get this and how much was it if you don’t mind me asking?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 M140i auto
2013 M135i auto
2010 Mini JCW
2010 123D Msport
2007 Porsche Cayman S
2011 135i Coupe DCT
2007 Mini Cooper S

User avatar
OrtonM135i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by OrtonM135i » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Kev1387 wrote:Just wondering if you guys considered the M4 before the M2?
If so what were your reasons for not going down the M4 route?

It’s just that I’ve driven both back to back and still undecided 🤷‍♂️

I considered M4 and M3 but for me the cost and the extra size of these made them not viable for me vs M2. They have much nicer and customisable interiors, M seats, more adjustability/control of driving modes etc and are great cars (in competition spec).

For me the M2 is just as much fun if not more at UK road speeds but easier to live with size wise. The M2 competition pack or M2 CS whatever it will end up as, that will be the sweet spot IMO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 M140i auto
2013 M135i auto
2010 Mini JCW
2010 123D Msport
2007 Porsche Cayman S
2011 135i Coupe DCT
2007 Mini Cooper S

siwel_nerrad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by siwel_nerrad » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:13 pm

I came from an M135 and test drove the M4 before the M2. The M4 was actually cheaper than an M2 at the time but it wasn't for me. It felt huge in comparison, the M2 felt much smaller and more agile. The interior is much nicer on the M4 though but I preferred driving the M2.

User avatar
Twin Turbo
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:35 pm
Location: Notts/Derby

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by Twin Turbo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:34 pm

Well, I did consider the M4, but I discounted it very early due to the size. Since I use my car as a Daily Driver - I visit clients quite often - and getting an M4 into space will be very challenging.

So my process moved over to M3, as I loved the HUD displays - but reminded me of an Alpina E92 - very refined and lovely interior.

However, the M2 felt better drive,

User avatar
Deadeye
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2502
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by Deadeye » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:08 pm

I had an M3 for a year before buying my M2.
F20 M135i - most toys
F80 M3 - even more toys - gone!
F87 M2 - most toys

Tell others about your car buying experience by writing a car dealer review at http://www.carbuyingadvisor.co.uk

User avatar
napes5
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by napes5 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:28 pm

I looked at both before landing on the M2. Drove the M4 first, liked it but wasn't wowed - it was big and felt heavy/cumbersome. Also not a great fan of how long it is, felt/looked more than an M6 than a 4.

First 5 minutes in the M2 and I was sold! Looks better, drives better and cheaper. Was a no brainer for me. My only criticism of the M2 so far is the noise insulation is really bad, so if you're on the motorway a lot it'd drive you mad. I'm not sure how the M4 compares in this respect.
BMW M2 DCT

User avatar
sawda
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by sawda » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Regarding the noise insulation point it is lound and believe thay this is intentional from BMW. M140i is alot quieter but then this is what makes the M2 feel more raw and more connexted to that straight six

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk


Jcarr18322
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 9:58 am

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by Jcarr18322 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Same as a few others really, I wanted the M2 as soon as i came across the release. Offers at the dealer for M4's at the same time I was there for the M2. Politely told them I came for an M2 nothing else, the smaller wheel base and all round feeling swung it for me. I test drive an M4 and although it was nice, I didn't enjoy it as much as the M2.
Current
M2 LCI DCT
Gone
240i
135i
123D
E92 M3
Focus RS Mk2
Focus ST 3

User avatar
Deadeye
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 2502
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by Deadeye » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:49 pm

napes5 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:28 pm
I looked at both before landing on the M2. Drove the M4 first, liked it but wasn't wowed - it was big and felt heavy/cumbersome. Also not a great fan of how long it is, felt/looked more than an M6 than a 4.

First 5 minutes in the M2 and I was sold! Looks better, drives better and cheaper. Was a no brainer for me. My only criticism of the M2 so far is the noise insulation is really bad, so if you're on the motorway a lot it'd drive you mad. I'm not sure how the M4 compares in this respect.
In Sport the exhaust is loud but as soon as you change back to comfort (because motorways are boring) it does quieten up quite a bit.
F20 M135i - most toys
F80 M3 - even more toys - gone!
F87 M2 - most toys

Tell others about your car buying experience by writing a car dealer review at http://www.carbuyingadvisor.co.uk

User avatar
napes5
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Anyone consider M4 before the M2?

Post by napes5 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Deadeye wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:49 pm
napes5 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:28 pm
I looked at both before landing on the M2. Drove the M4 first, liked it but wasn't wowed - it was big and felt heavy/cumbersome. Also not a great fan of how long it is, felt/looked more than an M6 than a 4.

First 5 minutes in the M2 and I was sold! Looks better, drives better and cheaper. Was a no brainer for me. My only criticism of the M2 so far is the noise insulation is really bad, so if you're on the motorway a lot it'd drive you mad. I'm not sure how the M4 compares in this respect.
In Sport the exhaust is loud but as soon as you change back to comfort (because motorways are boring) it does quieten up quite a bit.
Agreed - but I meant the road noise from the tires/wind not the exhaust/engine.
BMW M2 DCT

Post Reply

Return to “F87 M2”