Baby BMW Forum banner

First track day done - help me sort my brakes...

3K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  josheboss 
#1 ·
Just home from Bedford and had a great day. Was very greasy so didn't get out of sport+ plus the fact I'm no hero driver!

The brakes need improving though. Braided lines and some good 5.1 needed, but what are my options for pads? It's my daily so I don't want a race spec pad. Just something with more bite and that doesn't need loads of temp to work well. Any suggestions?

Also, the brakes are grumbling a lot now. Not full on warped levels, so wondered if it was just pad residue that may clean up? Thoughts?

#2 ·
Sounds like you had a good time if you want to get out there again.

What went on the brakes? Long pedal?

We all have our own ideas about upgrades, and I'm sure others will say different, but braided brake lines are no longer the upgrade it used to be. Modern lines are reinforced, often with Kevlar which means you don't get the benefits you used to. Also there are that many scare stories of fittings coming off or lines being too long/short and snagging, I'd steer well clear.

Pads wise, the better the pad the bigger the difference. I would advise one of the Ferodo or pagid race pads. No good for street though, as they squeal and dust badly. M car sport pads are the obvious upgrade, but not hard track day proof.

I'm sure the shudder is just pad material deposit. Makes sure you cool the brakes well before pitting. Otherwise you can get pad shadow. It could be this. Some hard 60-5mph stops should clean them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thanks for that reply.

It's been a while since I've tweaked anything so will take that on board re the lines.
Perhaps just a fluid change for now.

Pad wise I use DS2500s on my 182 but I've read these aren't great on a bigger car? I liked them though, sensible bite from cold and stood up to some abuse on track.
I know it needs to be a compromise so I'm probably in the "fast road" category, Realisticaly I'll only do 5-6 track days a year so road use has to come first.

I'll try and find out about the Bmw pads.

#4 ·
5678 said:

I know it needs to be a compromise so I'm probably in the "fast road" category, Realisticaly I'll only do 5-6 track days a year so road use has to come first.

FWIW I ran DOT 5.1 BF and m4 sport pads up front on my MPBBK'd m135i - worked well for DD, frequent "fast road" use and about same no of TD's pa as you.

I have a set m4 sport pads F&R to install on my m2 when stock pads wilt/need replacing.
BP

#5 ·
Blind Pugh said:
5678 said:

FWIW I ran DOT 5.1 BF and m4 sport pads up front on my MPBBK'd m135i - worked well for DD, frequent "fast road" use and about same no of TD's pa as you.

I have a set m4 sport pads F&R to install on my m2 when stock pads wilt/need replacing.
BP
Sounds good to me. I don't suppose you could dig out the part numbers could you? Did you fit fronts and rears?

#6 ·
5678 said:
Blind Pugh said:

BP
Sounds good to me. I don't suppose you could dig out the part numbers could you? Did you fit fronts and rears?
I had F8x sport pads upfront and F2x Mpbbk pads at the rear.

Will swap F8x sport pads F&R on my m2.

Front sport pads part no 34112284765

Rear sport pads part no 34122284766

#8 ·
I'm running DS2500's all round on mine and they seem fine. Much improved initial bite and no fade.

I did my first TD yesterday with no issues whatsoever with the brakes, although the weather meant I wasn't exactly pushing the limits.

My only criticism of the 2500's is unusually they are a bit noisy when driving slowly which I've not had when using them on other cars.

#9 ·
Update...

The brakes didn't recover from more driving and several hard stops.

It's in at BMW today and they are changing discs, pads and a caliper under warranty!

I'm still planning to get some Dot4 in there and some 2500s on the front.

#10 ·
5678 said:
Update...

The brakes didn't recover from more driving and several hard stops.

It's in at BMW today and they are changing discs, pads and a caliper under warranty!

I'm still planning to get some Dot4 in there and some 2500s on the front.
Fitting non OEM pads upfront will goose the warranty if your brakes grumble after next TD...

#13 ·
So, the full story I got when there was that it was obvious I drive it hard and potentially track it. The tyres gave it away!
The Caliper didn't absolutely need doing but that was the easiest way for them to get the discs and pads done on warranty.
They warned me that getting another set won't be easy if possible at all.

The problem I went in with was the rumbling and vibration when braking. Pretty likely to be excessive pad build up on the discs.

#25 ·
marco_polo said:
No, there's nothing wrong with the stock lines, assuming they're in sensible condition.
That's good to hear. I'm yet to run mine properly on track but read the M2 stoppers are not the best.

I'm running 2500's all round and find them excellent for fast road use but the jury's our on how they will perform on track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.