Baby BMW Forum banner

M2 Competition in Evo

8K views 71 replies 32 participants last post by  Blind Pugh 
#1 ·
June's edition running a 6 page article including pictures. Basic price quoted as £47,260 which is only an increase of around £500 and the M2 escaped the April rise.

#6 ·
KenC said:
Matthaus said:
Is it based on fact or thoughts from them?

When is the magazine on sale? Maybe they have NDA info ready to go to print
I subscribe and it arrived this morning. Probably in the newsagents next week.
Interesting, when was the 'official' launch due? Thought it was China in 2 weeks time

#10 ·
marco_polo said:
Can anyone recall how much the price increased when M135i N55 was replaced by the M140i B58?
Dont think there was much of a hike.. Perhaps a few hundred quid if I recall..

I think there has been many rumours of the pricing of the M2 Competition ranging from 5-10k Euro hike.. It's the first I've read that it may be as little as £500 so I guess its still unclear as still so many rumours going around..

#11 ·
I don't see how they'd ever justify a 10k price increase, it's still a turbocharged straight-six. Yes it's had a minor facelift, but that's nothing new for mid-life BMW's, M-Lites have had two already.

0.1 seconds quicker to 60, a bit more poke, but that's not +10k to me.

#12 ·
marco_polo said:
I don't see how they'd ever justify a 10k price increase, it's still a turbocharged straight-six. Yes it's had a minor facelift, but that's nothing new for mid-life BMW's, M-Lites have had two already.

0.1 seconds quicker to 60, a bit more poke, but that's not +10k to me.
My personal guestimate would be £3-4k hike in line with the Competition pack price rise for the M3/M4..

The only thing that is different is that the M2 Competition will be the base model (unlike M3/4 comp) and it's whether BMW are fearful that a too large a price hike will affect sales of the M2 (considering the M2 is the most successful M car to date from a sales perpective).. I suspect early buyers will pay near RRP but in the 2 year life span, similar discounts will be available as the outgoing model if sales are not holding up strong..

I also think that a CS or CSL/GTS model will be introduced closer to end of life where they will remove the de-restriction on the engine (no M3/M4 to worry about losing sales) and make it a more track focused machine which I suspect will be the limited run (future appreciating asset) :)

#13 ·
Just read the EVO magazine article. Definitely makes a good case for itself. Trying to remind myself it's all hype and the outgoing car is amazing, especially with some well opted mods. The pics do look great, it's the s55 engine sound that is likely to be the deal breaker for me. There is a lot to like here though

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#14 ·
It feels like the competition is barely different to the existing M2.

The engine might be the S version, but the increase in output is not significant. Other than more colour options, a few other minor changes, and some more options, what's the significant difference?

#15 ·
lower said:
It feels like the competition is barely different to the existing M2.

The engine might be the S version, but the increase in output is not significant. Other than more colour options, a few other minor changes, and some more options, what's the significant difference?
Other than carbon brace, twin turbo, water air intercooler, jointed suspension arms, M buttons.....not much [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
lower said:
I get that. But what's the tangible difference. 0.1s faster 0-60? Suspension is basically unchanged....
A fast RWD car is limited by traction. That's why an M4CP, or an M6 for that matter is not much faster to 60 than an M2 . Try 0-100 and the difference becomes apparent.

Whilst an M2 is 'fast enough' an M2C gives a nice little power boost for similar cost. Seems like a bargain provided discounts stay?

#18 ·
lower said:
I get that. But what's the tangible difference. 0.1s faster 0-60? Suspension is basically unchanged....
Spring rates are the same,that's all.

There are loads of differences, so the new S55 version will be quite different to drive.

The 0-60mph time is 0.0000001 of the importance :rollseyes:

#20 ·
I've read somewhere (again all rumoured and not fact) that the M3/M4 seats will be a cost option and same with the Bigger brake kit as a cost option...

Perhaps that is one way to lower the base price to keep the car accessible to more potential buyers and allow those with deeper pockets to spec up to get the full benefits of the Competition Package?

If anyone is interested someone scanned the Evo article and posted it here

#23 ·
mikeyscott said:
I was at a BMW dealer yesterday and they had a gen1 M2 GFV £24k after 4 years.

Sure more price shifting / discounting to come.
There's a delivery mileage grey M2 DCT feb 67 plate at Bowker Preston for £39,950 List £51400 (21.4% discount once road tax is included) so that is a substantial discount for anyone looking!!!

It probably won't be available at the lowest rate finance though but you never know if you don't ask

#24 ·
sootyvrs said:
I've read somewhere (again all rumoured and not fact) that the M3/M4 seats will be a cost option and same with the Bigger brake kit as a cost option...

Perhaps that is one way to lower the base price to keep the car accessible to more potential buyers and allow those with deeper pockets to spec up to get the full benefits of the Competition Package?

Think that's a good shout, hard to see otherwsie how the mooted list price would stack up. edit - the article actually says the m seats are optional

sootyvrs said:
If anyone is interested someone scanned the Evo article and posted it here

That front end really leaves the original behind - suprising what quite simple tweaks can do.

#25 ·
moulin12 said:
That front end really leaves the original behind - suprising what quite simple tweaks can do.
It's funny how the front grills have devided opinions.. I think they have gone the wrong way and think it looks far worse than the out going model...

That said.. I remember disliking the rear of the LCI F20/F21 but it grew on me where I eventually thought it looked better than the pre-LCI but I suspect that is more to do with the psychological effect of the old one looking dated after a while (rather than it really looking better?) so the same might happen with the current M2 :lol2:

#26 ·
sootyvrs said:
moulin12 said:
I suspect that is more to do with the psychological effect of the old one looking dated after a while (rather than it really looking better?) so the same might happen with the current M2 :lol2:
Interesting point, and likely valid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.