Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: M2 vs M140i

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Shadak wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:20 pm
Ah thats nice to hear. How is the M2 on highways? I found M140 even with adaptive a bit bouncy.
I didnt get to go on a motorway in the test M2 sadly. On the normal roads it didnt seem worse than my M140!
Tyre noise from fatter MPSS's is more evident than Mlite at motorway speeds but the passive M2 on 19"'s rides as well as my pre-LCI mlite did on 18"'s - helped in part by M2 stock damping, being far superior then Mlite. However, you should try an M2 on the motorway to be sure.
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

CaptFish
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CaptFish » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:00 pm

I reckon the m lites might be better daily drivers - however with the M2 every drive is an event, even if it's daily. I always set of with good intentions, but after a few minutes I switch off radio, open the window slightly Ald just enjoy the sound and experience.

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:14 pm

CaptFish wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:00 pm
....however with the M2 every drive is an event, even if it's daily. I always set of with good intentions, but after a few minutes I switch off radio, open the window slightly Ald just enjoy the sound and experience.
^^^^^^ agree with this 100% - in fact did exactly as above on my commute this morning - sport+, shifting DCT manually, MPE in track mode, window down despite it being -2 to zero deg C. Senses got a treat even if the RHS of my head was furkin freezing !!!!
AW M2 DCT

Shadak
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Shadak » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Blind Pugh wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm
Shadak wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:20 pm
Ah thats nice to hear. How is the M2 on highways? I found M140 even with adaptive a bit bouncy.
I didnt get to go on a motorway in the test M2 sadly. On the normal roads it didnt seem worse than my M140!
Tyre noise from fatter MPSS's is more evident than Mlite at motorway speeds but the passive M2 on 19"'s rides as well as my pre-LCI mlite did on 18"'s - helped in part by M2 stock damping, being far superior then Mlite. However, you should try an M2 on the motorway to be sure.
Thanks, if the stock damping is better than m-lite thats all I need to know! :) plus I assume the passive suspension is easier to upgrade/change if for some reason I want to.
/// ...... M140i xDrive 2017 ...... \\\

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 pm

jimBabyBMW wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 pm
I'm not knocking the M2 as a worse car, i'm just knocking it as a "better DD"! i'm sure the M2 is awesome, i've always liked them, wouldn't mind owning one if it came to it. Not sure it would be first choice as a daily though, but if i could only have 1 car, then it might be a good compromise (if we HAD to compromise)
And conversely many with mlites claim or just write off the M2 as a daily without any real justification. For me I enjoy my M2 as a daily driver more than i did my M135i that I owned for 2 years but I agree everyone's driving, expectations, requirements differs, it doesn't make the M2 a better daily but they are perfectly capable of doing that job.

Unless you have a bottomless bank account any car will be a compromise. I like the Caymen S, didn't sound as good as the M2 but inside it was great and it drove fantastically and I love how they look, it was over what I wanted to spend and also I convinced myself not worth the extra over the M2, is it or isn't it, well if I had £15k more spare cash it would have been worth every penny but I didn't so it wasn't, I would then be looking at cars that are another £5k-£10k on top of that, therefore the Cayman S would then be a compromise. Would I argue with anyone that the M2 is a better car than a Caymen S, nope because it isn't, I just couldn't afford one! It could be said that the M2 is a better all rounder than the Cayman S, a big boot, 4 seats, cheaper as fast etc etc but that would be silly.

Never wanted 2 cars myself, doesn't appeal, people talk about an M2 costing far more than an mlite in running costs, don't tell me having 2 cars is cheaper certainly over the first 4 or 5 years of ownership.

Deadeye

Post by Deadeye » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm

Mine's a DD, it's great.

Went to see a customer 200 miles away the other day.

Perfect on motorways, perfect on back roads.

I have both in the title, they're both good cars, the M140i is just fantastic value.
F20 M135i - most toys
F80 M3 - even more toys - gone!
F87 M2 - most toys

Tell others about your car buying experience by writing a car dealer review at http://www.carbuyingadvisor.co.uk

YaoNg
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by YaoNg » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:19 pm

CaptFish wrote:
I reckon the m lites might be better daily drivers - however with the M2 every drive is an event, even if it's daily. I always set of with good intentions, but after a few minutes I switch off radio, open the window slightly Ald just enjoy the sound and experience.
This.

There are loads of better daily drives than an M2 but what do you want from your car? The comfort and practicality of an M2 isn't much different than an m-lite. But when you want that drama and track type performance and country lane smiles....well, an M2 will give you that. In large quantities.

SMILE. :P
Black M2 - DCT - black grills - MPE - and a slight wince when I get home late or start early.

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:04 pm

Shadak wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm
if the stock damping is better than m-lite thats all I need to know!
Yes - chalk and cheese
Shadak wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 pm
:) plus I assume the passive suspension is easier to upgrade/change if for some reason I want to.
Yes and there's even a OEM warranty friendly coilover upgrade - M Performance Suspension is KWV3 made to BMW spec's - mines being upgraded later this month.....
AW M2 DCT

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Deadeye wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm
Mine's a DD, it's great.

Went to see a customer 200 miles away the other day.

Perfect on motorways, perfect on back roads.

I have both in the title, they're both good cars, the M140i is just fantastic value.
Ditto

My M2 4 up - incl 2 elderly relatives - 320mile trip to family funeral on Tuesday - motorway there most of the way up and mixed A&B roads [snowed heavily for most of this section] and motorway on the return.

No complaints from my passengers in fact my 86 yr old dad was very complimentary about the rear leg room and sound of MPE in track mode !!!
AW M2 DCT

jimBabyBMW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jimBabyBMW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:46 pm

YaoNg wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:19 pm
CaptFish wrote:
This.

There are loads of better daily drives than an M2 but what do you want from your car? The comfort and practicality of an M2 isn't much different than an m-lite. But when you want that drama and track type performance and country lane smiles....well, an M2 will give you that. In large quantities.

For a daily, 5 doors. To be able to park closest to Asda. Drive around tight car parks, smooth auto box, good on fuel, cheap to service, insure and tax, cheap on tyres, cheap parts. It's just a daily. That's what dailys are for.

I thoroughly agree with you though, if you can only afford one car, get an M2.

Cheap get.

Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by 5678 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:46 pm

wenklaw wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:51 pm
jimBabyBMW wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 pm
I'm not knocking the M2 as a worse car, i'm just knocking it as a "better DD"! i'm sure the M2 is awesome, i've always liked them, wouldn't mind owning one if it came to it. Not sure it would be first choice as a daily though, but if i could only have 1 car, then it might be a good compromise (if we HAD to compromise)
And conversely many with mlites claim or just write off the M2 as a daily without any real justification. For me I enjoy my M2 as a daily driver more than i did my M135i that I owned for 2 years but I agree everyone's driving, expectations, requirements differs, it doesn't make the M2 a better daily but they are perfectly capable of doing that job.

Unless you have a bottomless bank account any car will be a compromise. I like the Caymen S, didn't sound as good as the M2 but inside it was great and it drove fantastically and I love how they look, it was over what I wanted to spend and also I convinced myself not worth the extra over the M2, is it or isn't it, well if I had £15k more spare cash it would have been worth every penny but I didn't so it wasn't, I would then be looking at cars that are another £5k-£10k on top of that, therefore the Cayman S would then be a compromise. Would I argue with anyone that the M2 is a better car than a Caymen S, nope because it isn't, I just couldn't afford one! It could be said that the M2 is a better all rounder than the Cayman S, a big boot, 4 seats, cheaper as fast etc etc but that would be silly.

Never wanted 2 cars myself, doesn't appeal, people talk about an M2 costing far more than an mlite in running costs, don't tell me having 2 cars is cheaper certainly over the first 4 or 5 years of ownership.

This, this, this. All of it. Even the bit about the Cayman S, I loved it when i tried one. Handled like nothing Ive driven before. Sounded crude next to the M2 though! I just couldn’t afford it.

I drive my M2 every day, I’ve done 4200 miles since the start of December and everyone has been great.
'18 F87 M2 LCI
'15 X5 30d
'04 Clio 182

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm

jimBabyBMW wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:46 pm
YaoNg wrote:
CaptFish wrote:
This.

For a daily, 5 doors. To be able to park closest to Asda. Drive around tight car parks, smooth auto box, good on fuel, cheap to service, insure and tax, cheap on tyres, cheap parts. It's just a daily. That's what dailys are for.

And if you cant 'afford' an M2 buy an mlite :mrgreen:

jimBabyBMW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jimBabyBMW » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:48 pm

wenklaw wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm
jimBabyBMW wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:46 pm
YaoNg wrote:

This.

And if you cant 'afford' an M2 buy an mlite :mrgreen:
Haha! i bought the M-lite for the wife, it's a good little car for her to learn in. :-) i blimmin love it though, great car!

robwils

Post by robwils » Sat May 12, 2018 2:55 pm

So what would you all do now ?
Seen quite a few pre reg deals on the now outgoing M2 probably not too dissimilar to M140i deals.
If money were the same on a PCP which would it be ?

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Sat May 12, 2018 3:06 pm

robwils wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 2:55 pm
So what would you all do now ?
Seen quite a few pre reg deals on the now outgoing M2 probably not too dissimilar to M140i deals.
If money were the same on a PCP which would it be ?
If you need 2+drs - m140i - if you don’t - m2
AW M2 DCT

Return to “F87 M2”