Secret exhaust mode

Get your M2 fix here

Moderators: Rich196, babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster

siwel_nerrad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Secret exhaust mode

Postby siwel_nerrad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:23 pm

I found a post on a forum yesterday (can't find the link) about a secret exhaust mode on the M2. If you keep it in comfort and tap the DTC button once (don't hold it) the exhaust burbles really loud when you come off the throttle. I tried it last night and it works. It reminds me of my M performance exhaust I had in my M135. I hadn't seen any mention of it in here so I thought I'd post it for you to enjoy.

sawda
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Secret exhaust mode

Postby sawda » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:04 pm

Cool... Haven't tried it.... What's the dtc button, sorry

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

siwel_nerrad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby siwel_nerrad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:23 pm

It's the button above the comfort/sport drive mode button. Your car has to be warm for it to work but it's quite amusing.

AndytheGreek
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Postby AndytheGreek » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:27 pm

It shouldn't make any difference. All that button does is activate the DTC - allows more slip and less interference from the nanny
2017 M2

siwel_nerrad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby siwel_nerrad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:07 pm

AndytheGreek wrote:It shouldn't make any difference. All that button does is activate the DTC - allows more slip and less interference from the nanny

You're right but it definitely changes the exhaust behaviour. I don't know why and read through lots of other people saying the same thing but when they tried it they confirmed it does change the exhaust. Give it a bash.
Last edited by siwel_nerrad on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

siwel_nerrad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby siwel_nerrad » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:15 pm

I never came across it in my M135 I had for 3 years but I always drive around in sport so that's probably why

YaoNg
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby YaoNg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:27 pm

los desaparecidos wrote:
siwel_nerrad wrote:I found a post on a forum yesterday (can't find the link) about a secret exhaust mode on the M2. If you keep it in comfort and tap the DTC button once (don't hold it) the exhaust burbles really loud when you come off the throttle. I tried it last night and it works. It reminds me of my M performance exhaust I had in my M135. I hadn't seen any mention of it in here so I thought I'd post it for you to enjoy.

Yeah. This little trick has been around for a number of years on the M135i :)

I always thought this only existed on the M2.

Are you saying that tapping the DSC (not DTC) button on an M135i and possibly M235i will make the exhaust sound like it does in Sport mode? Or have I just missed the sarcasm?
Sapphire black M235i - Dec 2014 - Manual - MPE - current

sonnyx
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Postby sonnyx » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:30 pm

siwel_nerrad wrote:
AndytheGreek wrote:It shouldn't make any difference. All that button does is activate the DTC - allows more slip and less interference from the nanny

You're right but it definitely changes the exhaust behaviour. I don't know why and read through lots of other people saying the same thing but when they tried it they confirmed it doesn't change the exhaust. Give it a bash.

Yes its true i have had one on loan and it works. You need to be in comfort mode with warm engine and hit DSC once and enter limited mode. Now you have open valve.
M2 - AW Man
M140i AW Auto 5dr All options, LSD
Lancia EVO2 Red Edizione

sburns

Postby sburns » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:34 am

I had a 2014 M135i and currently a 2016 M2 and both hah/hqve this function. In truth I don't really use it as I find that I prefer either Comfort for cruising quietly or DSC off for fun.
Current M135i Manual LSD, H&R Springs, Birds anti-roll bars
Coming M2
Past
M5 E39, M3 E36, F30330d, Caterham 1.8 Supersports 6-speed LSD, Seat Leon Cupra R, Mondeo TDci 130, Citroen ZX 16v , Peugeot 1.4 Rallye, Lada Riva (rwd!), Metro 1.0

Rustynut
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby Rustynut » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:45 am

Am I doing something wrong or not getting it but if I tap the Dsc button it turns it off. And I can not tell any difference

Blind Pugh

Postby Blind Pugh » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:29 am

This isn't really a secret it's what changes the exhaust note between sport and sport +.
F20 M135i EB AT with options - what a hoot !
Image Image

mctga
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby mctga » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:18 pm

This didn't work on my October 13 build M135i until I had a software update recently and now I get the extra pops in traction mode. It's a nice feature. Does that also mean there will now be a difference in the exhaust behaviour between Sport and Sport+? Before the sw update these were identical in terms of sound.
Estoril Blue F20 M135i, Manual, Pro Nav, Visibility Pack, Adv Speakers, MPE.

YaoNg
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Postby YaoNg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:05 am

mctga wrote:This didn't work on my October 13 build M135i until I had a software update recently and now I get the extra pops in traction mode. It's a nice feature. Does that also mean there will now be a difference in the exhaust behaviour between Sport and Sport+? Before the sw update these were identical in terms of sound.

I tried this on my 2014 M235i last week and it didn't change a thing. How recent was your software update?
Sapphire black M235i - Dec 2014 - Manual - MPE - current

Rustynut
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby Rustynut » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:07 am

I have just got mine back after a full update that was a waste of time to be honest

siwel_nerrad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Postby siwel_nerrad » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:31 pm

mctga wrote:This didn't work on my October 13 build M135i until I had a software update recently and now I get the extra pops in traction mode. It's a nice feature. Does that also mean there will now be a difference in the exhaust behaviour between Sport and Sport+? Before the sw update these were identical in terms of sound.

To my ears, there isn't much (if any) sound difference between Sport and Sport+ on the M2. However, there is a difference between between Sport+ and Comfort with DTC button pressed. Sport+ doesn't have the burbling.

Return to “F87 M2”