Battery only cars

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Battery only cars

Post by Kiwi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 am

GeeDee wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:27 pm
rob180bhp wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:20 am
One big problem i can see is the charge cable is £700 on average and can be unplugged and taken? So there will be 1000s stolen
Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
How much??? What's the current rating?

What's it made of, gold?

Sounds like they're designed to be stolen to bump up profit margins. Surely, they can be locked in place by a secondary "filler cap" which lock clamps around the socket where it plugs into the car.

....and then you need to consider the cost of replacement batteries.
Power cables are locked in place when the car locks. I'm not sure about the power charging station itself as cables are supplied and clamped to the charging station down under. Charging cables are expensive and would take about 5 tank loads of petrol to pay for the cable. It's not worth the purchase for a BMW 225xe.
2016 BMW 225xe M Sport Mineral White
2015 BMW 220i M Sport Convertible Black Sapphire

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kiwi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 am

dorsetred wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:54 am
Kiwi wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:13 am
When will the i3s arrive in England as I'll be very interested or your views after your test drive dorsetred
From the discussion I had after having the i3Rex back in July the impression I got was probably end of this year possibly January but as I'm not back until 21st December if nothing available before 13th January I won't be doing much at all. I did price up on the configurator and it's definitely more expensive than a fully loaded 225xe M-Sport but either way it's going to have to be a really good offer to persuade me to change from our current 218d.

Rob's also brought up a very valid point regarding possible theft of the charging cable although I've not checked the price of a replacement and have no doubt he's looked into it, have to be honest and admit something which hadn't even crossed my mind.

dorsetred 8)
November should see the new i3s and I'm very much looking forward to a weekend test drive. I'm still torn between my 225xe or an i3 as the 225xe has so much more ability and cheaper to purchase. I may just wait until the refreshed Active Tourer arrives before making my mind up.
My 225xe has now covered 18,000ks and 66% is battery so to pay more for an i3 for an added 30% battery distance may not stack up for me. Also the refreshed 225xe may have a better battery distance. What I will add to a replacement 225xe is Harman/Kardon, Navigation plus, driver assistant plus, Apple Car Play, maybe a sunroof and still be 10% cheaper than a basic i3.

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by dorsetred » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:43 am

Hi Kiwi

After a considerable amount of discussion between my wife at home in UK and me being in Saudi Arabia we've made a decision although we'd placed an order for the 225xe back in December that we cancelled due to the delay and than seriously having tested an i3 were considering a fully loaded i3S with a view to ordering but not at just over £46K ($60K +/-).

So after making a monumental decision we've decided on leaving and collect an A45 AMG on 1st November with just over 5K mileage and absolutely delighted with the deal we managed to get overall. Totally the reverse to the way we'd been looking at things but despite the added costs due to the nature of the beast we figured it was worthwhile.

dorsetred
[/color]Mercedes-Benz GLA45 AMG
Previous - BMW 218d M Sport Active Tourer, BMW 118d, Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, Honda HRV

Kiwi
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Kiwi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:56 am

I don't know much at all about Mercedes but that was a total roll reversal. As long it achieves what you future plans are.
We purchased a couple of battery bikes and take them on a few of are weekend trips on the back of our convertible. They have certainly been fun and shown us a lot more of our local areas.
You'll have to let me know how your wheels preform.

Dean

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”