Space saver anyone ?

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

sundodger

Space saver anyone ?

Post by sundodger » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:52 am

Not sure if run flat tyres are standard on U.K. spec vehicles, but over here they are an extra. Unfortunately the car I am purchasing, being an ex demo & six months old already has these fitted ! Still not really happy about no spare & considering buying a space saver. Any thoughts on this...Waste of time etc ? Given that tyre repairs on a run flat are normally deemed a no, no. If a space saver is used, maybe repairs viable due to not continued use of damaged tyre ?
2016 BMW Active Tourer 216d

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Space saver anyone ?

Post by marco_polo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:25 am

It's a good plan, much higher chance of puncture repair if it's not been driven on deflated.

The 2AT is a rebadged Mini, so BMW E46 spec wheels (our usual answer) don't fit. Wrong bolt PDC.

Maybe have a look into Mini part number 36116851506, but please double check it will clear your brakes before buying.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

sundodger

Post by sundodger » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:04 am

Thanks, there is a Space saver listed however under options on the Greek site for the AT. Just deciding if to go for it or not.
2016 BMW Active Tourer 216d

Quasar9

Post by Quasar9 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:45 pm

After a puncture I decided to invest in a space saver kit. It’s a genuine BMW 17inch rim steel wheel ( correct part number when checking at Realtek.com) with a Continental 115 /95 aspect tyre. However there are two problems.

Although the overall diameter of the space saver is the same as the normal 16” road wheels, it won’t fit in the lower boot as it’s too large. It’s usefulness is therefore limited.

The kit was supplied with a standard scissor jack. However the 2AT jack point has a plastic turret with a square socket into which the jack presumably “plugs” into. Jack as supplied will rest on the plastic turret. Again not sure if this is usable.

Anyway took it to a grage to get it fixed. :(

Any advice or comments?

Diccon

Post by Diccon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:19 pm

I got an adapter from ebay try "BMW F45Jack adapter:. Also on Amazon. Be careful to make sure it has the rectangular projection.

Quasar9

Post by Quasar9 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Thank# Diccon. That’s one issue solved. What tyre size does your space saver have? Suspect the tyre size should be smaller than one I have as space savers are usually smaller than normal road wheels they replace.

Diccon

Post by Diccon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:49 am

Hi, Mine was the factory fitted option 115/95 R17 which fits the well in the boot floor leaving the mat flat and comes with a moulded insert for the jack, wheel wrench and locking nut key, also a clamp to hold the wheel down.

Quasar9

Post by Quasar9 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks. Looks like they have supplied the correct wheel and tyre. Suspect it’s the liner in the lower boot or something like that.

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”