LCI details

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

ellingtj
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

LCI details

Post by ellingtj » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

chr1s

Re: LCI details

Post by chr1s » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 pm

And the good news is that I don't feel that my 2017 F45 is missing out on any of the changes on the facelift.

I don't like the new non-MSport apron - it looks like there is something missing.
And I don't like the semi-hexagonal DRLs - the twin circular headlamps are BMW characteristics, and the DRLs detract from this.
Undecided about the bigger grille.
(I'm ignoring the options, because I'm a cheapskate and they're more functional than styling changes so difficult to assess on photos).
I can't comment on the engine changes, because they are not explained in detail.
I can't pick out what's different about the instrument display - certainly nothing ground-breaking, unless you can now see the whole display through the steering wheel without moving your head up/down.
I'm happy with my 16" wheels and basic seat fabric.

Maybe I'm easily pleased, but it looks like they've tweaked a few things for the sake of the facelift, because they felt they needed to do more than just engine improvements.

psactivetourer

Post by psactivetourer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:02 am

I agree with all you write.

But the biggest change the article reveals, is the arrival in the BMW AT, as forecast recently by Honest John, of a 7-speed dual-clutch autobox to replace the ever reliable 6 speed torque converter box. Is it wet clutch or dry clutch? Time will tell

The Honest John news article that went out around Christmas time said that BMW are or were about to fit this autobox first in some MINI models and urged those about to buy an auto MINI to get in quick whilst the 6-speed box is still available.

The reason is, of course, the disastrous history of the VW/Audi-group DSG autobox in its various guises (wet, dry, wrong fluid etc) and for those buying a VAG car the DSG box remains a no-no.

It will be interesting to see if BMW declare that the new box needs no servicing over its (short?) life. Will it be fitted in the forthcoming X2 I wonder.

psquared

Post by psquared » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:12 pm

I too do not feel that the LC1 changes give me any urge to change my 2016 220i AT. I have been driving autos for about 25 years and am very happy with the 8spd autobox. Though it is no doubt a factor in my relatively poor fuel consumption, I am sure that the amount of short journeys I do is more significant.

If I were looking to change, the DCT box would not however put me off. I have had two Golfs with DCT and that technology has been widely adopted across the motor industry. I know Honest John doesn't rate them and certainly VAG had problems with some of the earlier versions but I am not aware of any evidence that there is still a widespread problem. I did have a “bombproof” Toyota which had a couple of issues with the conventional autobox and then at 25K miles total failure needing a complete new transmission at a cost in excess of £3K, fortunately at Toyota's expense not mine. I also had another so called “bombproof” car, a Honda Civic with semi-automatic gearbox. That cost Honda in excess of £1k when the hydraulic actuator failed

Overall, I am very happy with the AT which meets my needs for both local and long distance journeys. I (arguably) overspecced it to suit me as I do like my toys, especially the head-up display which I would not now wish to be without. The one thing that I really do not like is the restricted front vision caused by the forward part of the front windows which have those thick plastic internal trims. There were comments in the reviews about forward visibility but it seemed alright when I test drove one. In practice however they definitely cause a real blind spot to the off side in certain situations and also mean the the door mirrors are positioned too far back. May not be an issue if you are tall enough to have the seat very well back.

It does not look to be any different in the LC1 and I think that issue would put me off buying another AT.

catflap

Post by catflap » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Has anyone got or even seen one of the facelifted models yet? I keep my eyes open but not seen one on the road yet in the UK.

Thought I was going to as I test drove a GT the other weekend and they said it was a brand new demo with just 20 miles on the clock. However when I got it it was still the previous non face lift version. I assume these have started being delivered by now?

Bishthefish

Post by Bishthefish » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 am

One of my work colleagues has a face lifted AT 216d SE as his new company car - not seen it yet though! My 225xe is due a fortnight today!
Alistair

flow

Post by flow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:43 am

Took delivery of my 225xe LCI last week. This was to replace an existing 225xe.

Thoughts - the new front bumper & grill make a hugggggee difference to the looks. The rear bumper, not to much. Standard seats have improved a bit too. You can tell there have been small tweaks made in lots of other areas too, although they seem to have taken away the under front seat storage which I do miss.

catflap

Post by catflap » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:23 pm

The new standard seats definitely look nicer than the old ones, it was just a shame I couldn’t try any. I was torn between the Luxury as it was available in much nicer colours and has non run flats as standard. However I preferred the sports seats over the previous standard ones so decided to go with the M Sport in the end (lease costs were virtually identical)

Sounds like the facelift versions are just arriving now then, maybe I’ll spot one soon

psactivetourer

Post by psactivetourer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:56 pm

A sales person at Oxford BMW told me today that they have not seen a facelifted Active Tourer or Gran Tourer and BMW are not currently taking orders from them for the AT. Orders have just been accepted for Gran Tourer with a December delivery date.

There was a comment that supply varies according to the area with London being particularly favoured.

catflap

Post by catflap » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:24 pm

Snap! Oxford BMW is where I tested the GT and AT. We didn’t get into dates but they were talking 14 weeks or so.

Milton Keynes BMW had vehicles on order that were due in from September when I was speaking to them but that was probably 5 or 6 weeks ago. There been a lot of support on these on PCH so maybe that’s hit the short term availability?

I been told 12 to 17 weeks which makes it end of September though October. Not sure when I will get any more info. I assume you hear nothing for weeks and then suddenly they start building it and you get a real date a few weeks out?

ellingtj
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ellingtj » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Mine went to scheduled for production within 3 days but then took over a month to actually start production.

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”