F45 whining noise O/S/F

Find out more about the BMW 2 Series F45 & F46
The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer F45 (2014-)
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer F46 (2015-)

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Knibbo

F45 whining noise O/S/F

Post by Knibbo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:15 pm

I have a used, but new to me Active Tourer 218d, 150bhp, Auto with 27000 miles on the clock. The car drives beautifully and the engine is sound. My concern is after 30mph and upto 60mph I can hear a mild drone/woaw, woaw, woaw noise coming “I think” from the O/S/F of the car. it appears to be speed related as it increases the faster I go, at 70+ it’s not audible! I have read with interest that cupped or worn tyres can make this sound, so today I have fitted two new tyres on the front 205/55/17 Michelin to no avail. This noise/drone appears with either hot or cold engine condition. There is no knocking or pulling to one side and the drone doesn’t get noisier when I turn. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas!!

dorsetred
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: F45 whining noise O/S/F

Post by dorsetred » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:29 am

Sorry to say I'm unable to help as we had a 218d for three years and never an issue at all although we only covered 11,000 during this period could it be a bearing perhaps but either way I'd take it in and let the dealer resolve the problem for you? 8)
[/color]Mercedes-AMG GLA 45
Previous - BMW 218d M Sport Active Tourer, BMW 118d, Honda Civic V-Tech Type R GT, Volvo C-30 1.8 R-Design, Honda HRV

Huxlee

Post by Huxlee » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:56 am

I have the same issue on my gran tourer (39k on the clock) unsure which side it’s coming from. My local dealer had a look at the issue and reported the tyres had worn irregular which has caused the problem. I’m having 2 tyres fitted on Tuesday.

Knibbo

Post by Knibbo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:44 pm

Thanks Huxlee. I would be extremely interested in the outcome once your new tyres are fitted on Tuesday. My garage told me a similar story with my tyres before I had them changed.

Huxlee

Post by Huxlee » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Had 2 new tyres fitted yesterday at the garage, replaced the front pair and fitted them to the rear. Their is a reduction in the noise.
The tyres which were replaced had uneven wear on the outside edges with the tread down to 3mm, the rears have some uneven wear on the inside edges but have 5mm of tread , hence moving to the front.
The noise is not as noticeable and the wife says she can hardly hear it now. The sound is now only coming from the front set and If it starts getting louder I’ll replace the fronts.

Hope this helps

Knibbo

Re: F45 whining noise O/S/F-I Think

Post by Knibbo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks for the update Huxlee. I’m going to raise the front up on mine this weekend to try and identify if there is any wheel bearing movement or bearing vibration/rumble whilst holding the spring and revolving the wheel.

Knibbo

Post by Knibbo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Took my car to my friend who works at our local garage today (Not BMW DEALER) with a view to trying to analyse what the droning noise is. Having had 2 new tyres on the front so far, to no avail, I’m a bit lost for the cause. Anyway to cut a long one short, all bearings, drive shafts and ball joints etc were checked and dismissed accordingly as the cause!! Clutching at straws and scratching our heads we decided to swap the front wheel and tyre assemblies with the rears, and guess what? Issue solved. The tread blocks on the original RHR tyre were randomly feathered, the tyre exaggerated was in fact 50p shaped with a good 4mm on it. Anyway £120 and a new Michigan later she drives like a little Roller compared to what it was. It’s amazing the noise a feathered tyre can produce and it does sound just like a bearings on its way out.

Return to “F45, F46 (2014 - tbd)”